Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Did you do the door panels? I havenā€™t opened up the doors yet but on YouTube I watched a vid and thereā€™s a vapor guard (plastic sheet) that looks like itā€™s held on by some black glue or gunk. How do you get that vapor sheet back in the door? Is that black adhesive reusable? If not, whatā€™s used to reattache it.
You can either remove it and replace that barrier with a section of sound deadener (this is my goal). Or you can reinstall it. Use a heat gun to soften the adhesive and it should stick. The downside is this sheet can flex from the speaker moving and cause noise.

OP
OP
skinnysaurus

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Getting into that back seat is a pain... i had to replace my 3rd brake light due to leak... but im thinking would it be worth doing the roof? i think the head liner is just on w/magnets, at least the rear part was where light is.
Most of the sound Iā€™m trying to get rid of seems to be coming from the trunk and doors. I personally would not bother with the roof either. The only reason I might do it is that Iā€™m considering installing a starlight headliner and Iā€™ll be taking the headliner down anyway.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Ok.....so, OP, are you going to share what the car is like since you did the trunk and rear seat/wheel arch areas?

Is it quieter? Smoother? Less NVH?

You should have recorded decibel levels before, and then afterwards. These cars are pretty darn quiet as they are.

OP
OP
skinnysaurus

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Ok.....so, OP, are you going to share what the car is like since you did the trunk and rear seat/wheel arch areas?

You should have recorded decibel levels before, and then afterwards. These cars are pretty darn quiet as they are.
So far VERY happy with the results covering 100% coverage of spare tire well and about 80% of rear speaker shelf, rear seats, rear seat side panels, and trunk lid. I only got to half the rear wheel arches (next to rear seat) before I ran out of Kilmat. Another 2 boxes arrived and I plan to do front door panels and the left and ride sides of the trunk (where I will be able to reach the rest of the rear wheel arch) and under the center console. I donā€™t plan on taking the front seats out or to do the roof

I didnā€™t want to invest in a decibel meter just to test but my unscientific conclusion is it is well worth the effort if you want to get rid of the little rattles and sounds coming from the rear, as well as sharpening the stock radio. The best way I could describe it is it seems to get rid of many of the unwanted road noises but you still hear the things you expect to hear (radio, exhaust, engine). The only sounds that seems to be bothering me now are coming from the doors. Things are also muted down overall, especially and obviously from the back. I can hear some rattles on the rear speaker shelf only when I blast the radio at almost full volume at levels I never tune to. Also very little road feedback noises except for some of the harder/bigger road bumps (Iā€™m lowered on FRP Springs/shocks)

Quieter? Yes slightly but manage your expectations-donā€™t expect that youā€™re suddenly in a Mercedes Sedan-although I believe you can get there with another layer of foam or sound blocking vinyl. Les NVH? Def. Yes.

I am going to endorse this project provided youā€™re willing to put in some elbow grease and patience. Itā€™s not hard (I have zero mechanical skills) just a bit time consuming. The cost/benefit ratio is out of this world having spent less than $150.

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
So far VERY happy with the results covering 100% coverage of spare tire well and about 80% of rear speaker shelf, rear seats, rear seat side panels, and trunk lid. I only got to half the rear wheel arches (next to rear seat) before I ran out of Kilmat. Another 2 boxes arrived and I plan to do front door panels and the left and ride sides of the trunk (where I will be able to reach the rest of the rear wheel arch) and under the center console. I donā€™t plan on taking the front seats out or to do the roof

I didnā€™t want to invest in a decibel meter just to test but my unscientific conclusion is it is well worth the effort if you want to get rid of the little rattles and sounds coming from the rear, as well as sharpening the stock radio. The best way I could describe it is it seems to get rid of many of the unwanted road noises but you still hear the things you expect to hear (radio, exhaust, engine). The only sounds that seems to be bothering me now are coming from the doors. Things are also muted down overall, especially and obviously from the back. I can hear some rattles on the rear speaker shelf only when I blast the radio at almost full volume at levels I never tune to. Also very little road feedback noises except for some of the harder/bigger road bumps (Iā€™m lowered on FRP Springs/shocks)

Quieter? Yes slightly but manage your expectations-donā€™t expect that youā€™re suddenly in a Mercedes Sedan-although I believe you can get there with another layer of foam or sound blocking vinyl. Les NVH? Def. Yes.

I am going to endorse this project provided youā€™re willing to put in some elbow grease and patience. Itā€™s not hard (I have zero mechanical skills) just a bit time consuming. The cost/benefit ratio is out of this world having spent less than $150.
Nice;

A d decibel meter is an ap for your phone.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

I've done sound deadening on my 2016 GT350 and now my 2017 GT. I do the rear seat area, sides of the car behind the doors, inner wheel wells and complete trunk floor. I don't do the doors or under the front seats. I don't do the trunk lid.

I noticed a huge difference in road noise on the highway in both cars. It's not as much of an improvement as I got on my 2004 Z06, but very noticeable and welcome to me. The difference is well worth the small cost and investment in time IMO. I used a different brand than the OP (Noico), but it's a very similar looking product. I did track the GT350 and plan to track the 2017 GT, but I don't compete there for money and prizes, so to me the small amount of extra weight is not something I care about. And I'm a guy who likes light cars. But 30 lbs or so added to a 3800 lb car isn't something I've noticed at all.

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
Considering soundproofing your basement as an eg.
First rule is seal all openings (pipes, wires, heating vent boots). Most noise leaks through holes.

So this brings up doors and the plastic barrier. While not a mass loaded panel, it's doing a valueable job none the less. I'd add more felt to the rear of the door panel if possible. Maybe carpet the bottom interior of the doors to absorb some interior noise. A lot of plastic inside for reflecting sound :(

Every solution helps ... mostly a reminder not to damage or negate the plastic panel's value. Better sealing solutions around openings is where I'd start - then see what else could be added.

Rear wheel arches and behind rear plastic trim are planned this spring. Got a roll of deadener waiting on a project worth the effort. Also looking at getting felt roll to add to plastic panels.

So many jobs planned for the better weather. :)

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
Another 2 boxes arrived and I plan to do front door panels and the left and ride sides of the trunk (where I will be able to reach the rest of the rear wheel arch) and under the center console. I donā€™t plan on taking the front seats out or to do the roof
How many boxes total?

OP
OP
skinnysaurus

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
How many boxes total?
Havenā€™t finished but I feel 3 is going to be enough for about 70-80% coverage for the rear seats and back and the doors.

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I had a rattle that turned out to be either my curtain airbag or coming from the housing around the passenger seatbelt, so while I had everything in pieces I put Killamat in any obvious places. So far I've got my trunk on one side and the bottom, going to the passenger side and up around the rear 1/4 window.

I have to say it's noticeably quieter back in that section vs the other side, especially in the winter. I will be doing the rest of my back interior in the spring + maybe the doors too.

OP
OP
skinnysaurus

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I had a rattle that turned out to be either my curtain airbag or coming from the housing around the passenger seatbelt, so while I had everything in pieces I put Killamat in any obvious places. So far I've got my trunk on one side and the bottom, going to the passenger side and up around the rear 1/4 window.

I have to say it's noticeably quieter back in that section vs the other side, especially in the winter. I will be doing the rest of my back interior in the spring + maybe the doors too.
Did you punch holes through the Kilmat and then put the wires back under the rear window? Or were you just going around everything? Did you go full coverage?

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
Havenā€™t finished but I feel 3 is going to be enough for about 70-80% coverage for the rear seats and back and the doors.
Thanks, dude. Iā€™m following along because this is on my to-do list.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
How many rolls did you use and how much does one roll weigh? Thanks.

OP
OP
skinnysaurus

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
How many rolls did you use and how much does one roll weigh? Thanks.
Kilmat comes in pre cut sheets not rolls. Each box is about 18lbs.
Sponsored