SandoStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 S550
Here’s the steps I took:
Buy quality sound deadener that has three layers, sticky, aluminum, and butyl rubber. I used Soundskins and Sound Shield, they’re the same design.
Buy a good roller, it’ll help you set the glue on the backing.
Buy a good pair of shop scissors.
Order some clear transfer tape, you can get it in one foot wide by 30 foot rolls. This can be laid out on your doors and then trace the outline on it with a sharpie. Cut out the shape and transfer to the sound deadener and cut that out. You’ll have perfect fitment.
And lastly, remove all the panels before you begin. It’ll save you time if you tackle the entire trunk at once vs section by section. It’s not a quick process so plan for at least a full weekend of 10 hour days to do the entire interior.
Thanks! I ended up finding some really good reading material on the subject.

Sound Deadener Products - Reference Information & Guide
Sound Deadening Material Buyers Guide
Sound Deadening Material Testing Results
Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500

SandoStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 S550
Just keep in mind they are selling a product. A three layer sound treatment will do just fine for anyone NOT trying to win IASCA trophies.
Yes, they are selling a product. But everything they have seems to be backed up with a very impressive amount of data. More than anything else I've seen on the subject.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Yes, they are selling a product. But everything they have seems to be backed up with a very impressive amount of data. More than anything else I've seen on the subject.
It’s also the law of diminishing returns. Doing 25% coverage makes a significant improvement over nothing. Add another 25% coverage and the gains are much less obvious. Resonix makes good decoupler pieces but they’re not worth the expense if you’re not competing.

SandoStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 S550
It’s also the law of diminishing returns. Doing 25% coverage makes a significant improvement over nothing. Add another 25% coverage and the gains are much less obvious. Resonix makes good decoupler pieces but they’re not worth the expense if you’re not competing.
Yes, they touch on this. Based on what their articles show, this 25% thing isn't as straight forward as people make it out to be. I think this was covered in the product reference guide.
As far as competing, I'm not sure what that means. I just want a quiet car, and I want to do it right the first time.

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Yes, they touch on this. Based on what their articles show, this 25% thing isn't as straight forward as people make it out to be. I think this was covered in the product reference guide.
It actually is that simple, again they’re selling a product. Check unbiased car audio YouTube pages…I’ve yet to see one who doesn’t share this philosophy of diminished returns.

SandoStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 S550
It actually is that simple, again they’re selling a product. Check unbiased car audio YouTube pages…I’ve yet to see one who doesn’t share this philosophy of diminished returns.
I absolutely see what you are saying. But like I said, I have never seen this much in depth and thoughtfully laid out material on any subject, let alone sound deadening. Maybe I'm not as quick to trust some random guys on youtube as you are. Also, I added more info to my last comment that I think you missed. Curious about what you mean with competing.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I absolutely see what you are saying. But like I said, I have never seen this much in depth and thoughtfully laid out material on any subject, let alone sound deadening. Maybe I'm not as quick to trust some random guys on youtube as you are. Also, I added more info to my last comment that I think you missed. Curious about what you mean with competing.
Random guys? lol ok. I wouldn’t count the engineers at JL Audio, Mark from CAF, and others with hundreds of thousands of followers as “random”.
But hey, it’s your money…and companies like Resonix and Dynamat spend hundreds of thousands on their own “research” to add to their bottom line in sales.

good luck!
Sponsored