Jacking rails for F-Street?

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
So I know since jacking rails aren't listed in the rules, they are not allowed for F-Street. Why is that? Do they really stiffen the chassis that much? Is there a significant performance advantage to using them? I hate using the pinch welds every time I have to change tires out, and a set of rails would let me change both tires on a side with just jacking once.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
So I know since jacking rails aren't listed in the rules, they are not allowed for F-Street. Why is that? Do they really stiffen the chassis that much? Is there a significant performance advantage to using them? I hate using the pinch welds every time I have to change tires out, and a set of rails would let me change both tires on a side with just jacking once.
How long does it take to bolt and unbolt them if they won't let you compete with them on?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I wouldn't worry to much about them - locally nobody (hopefully) will protest you for them and they're probably more of a disadvantage since it's weight.
Locally I had people in F Street that had CAIs, wider wheels than stock, one guy showed up with 2.0T Genesis lowered, with a tune, wide wheels and who know what other shit he had there.

If you end up competing in national events, just take them off.

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
We went through this with the Fox chassis and sn95 cars except for SFCs. No question these helped the flexi-flier Foxes and to some extent the sn95s. Even STBs and G-loads were outlawed for a bunch of years. Fox sand sn95s couldn't compete; had to go to ESP or CP. but even in those classes, "jacking rails" were not allowed even if SFCs were.

Frankly, I can lift one whole side of my '16 GT from either a forward or rearward jacking point - not using the pinch welds.

Coming from the Fox and sn95 cars, the 6G is light-years ahead for body integrity and rigidity. I can see perhaps a vert needing them but not a coupe. Just extra weight.

Sponsored

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
OP
OP
Ugly John

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
Well nuts. That's pretty specific there... How difficult is it to install and remove the jacking rails? I HATE using a puck and jack for each wheel...

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Well nuts. That's pretty specific there... How difficult is it to install and remove the jacking rails? I HATE using a puck and jack for each wheel...
are you competing @ NTs/MTs/pros/nats? if not, i wouldn't worry. S550 chassis is solid, it's definitely more of an issue with older cars (and the stiffening advantage, perceived or otherwise). locally/regionally, it's a non-issue on our cars IMO (or a simple conversation with your competitors)

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
If your jack has an appropriate lifting pad you can jack the rear at the diff and the front at the cross member. The front probably needs to be on low ramps such as https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bti-rr-scale-2/overview/ Also I'm MUCH more comfortable jacking this way when using jack stands.

Works well at home but I don't change tires at events so carrying the ramps and an appropriate jack in not an issue.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ugly John

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and ordered the Steeda rails, but I plan on placing the jack stands on the original pinch welds...

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
If your jack has an appropriate lifting pad you can jack the rear at the diff
With the previous gens, the diff was welded to axle tubes which were supported by springs which were supported by the chassis. So the forces of jacking the diff went thru components designed to support the weight of the car. The diff in an S550 is bolted to the chassis with bolts that only need to be strong enough to support the weight of the diff and any torque it transmits to the chassis.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
With the previous gens, the diff was welded to axle tubes which were supported by springs which were supported by the chassis. So the forces of jacking the diff went thru components designed to support the weight of the car. The diff in an S550 is bolted to the chassis with bolts that only need to be strong enough to support the weight of the diff and any torque it transmits to the chassis.
Interesting. However, I'm not a mechanical engineer and my physics is very rusty but what about the engine torque multiplication by transmission and/or differential gear ratios? Don't those twisting forces also have to be resisted by the diff bolts?

Thanks,

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The diff in an S550 is bolted to the chassis with bolts that only need to be strong enough to support the weight of the diff and any torque it transmits to the chassis.
Interesting. However, I'm not a mechanical engineer and my physics is very rusty but what about the engine torque multiplication by transmission and/or differential gear ratios? Don't those twisting forces also have to be resisted by the diff bolts?
As noted.

I'm sure people have jacked these up on the diff. I'm just saying it could be asking for trouble.

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
I hate using the pinch welds every time I have to change tires out, and a set of rails would let me change both tires on a side with just jacking once.
Are we not supposed to do this? (note: I have a coupe, not convertible). I regularly jack the car from the pinch weld near the center of the car and change both tires.
Sponsored