Sponsored

Is stock catback a bottleneck with LT's & tune?

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium, Black/Saddle.
Hey guys, just wondering what kind of power & track numbers can be had if you keep the stock catback, but do LT's, H-pipe, CAI & tune.

Looks like guys are getting 430-440rwhp with that plus a catback, but I don't like it loud 95% of the time I am driving, so would keep the stock catback same as on my 2012

What would be great is if we could have a button to push to make it loud or quiet, like the Z06 guys because there are times where I wish I could make it sound mean. But most of the time don't want to piss off the neighbors, or look too obnoxious, or draw the attention of cops.
Sponsored

Legionofone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base
Electric cutouts!

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
Hey guys, just wondering what kind of power & track numbers can be had if you keep the stock catback, but do LT's, H-pipe, CAI & tune.

Looks like guys are getting 430-440rwhp with that plus a catback, but I don't like it loud 95% of the time I am driving, so would keep the stock catback same as on my 2012

What would be great is if we could have a button to push to make it loud or quiet, like the Z06 guys because there are times where I wish I could make it sound mean. But most of the time don't want to piss off the neighbors, or look too obnoxious, or draw the attention of cops.
I'd start with H-pipe or X-pipe + CAI + Tune and see what you think before Longtubes. One of the quietest cat-backs is the Ford Racing Touring. I have it and it's SO MUCH LOUDER than stock. I love it and so far no complaints from Neighbors. Longitubes go on next month.

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP

Mikeg4572

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GTPP
If I were to do it all over I would have done LT with stock exhaust. LT's with aftermarket exhaust is too loud. I had the MBRP Street with Stainless Power Catless Headers. I had to put two resonators in to quiet it down. There will be no loss of HP with the stock exhaust as long as staying NA.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kbreese

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd start with H-pipe or X-pipe + CAI + Tune and see what you think before Longtubes. One of the quietest cat-backs is the Ford Racing Touring. I have it and it's SO MUCH LOUDER than stock. I love it and so far no complaints from Neighbors. Longitubes go on next month.
Well if I decide to go the NA route, I thought the main power increase came from the LT's, so they would be a given.

Regarding your touring exhaust, that's exactly what I thought from all the video's I've seen, even the "mild" exhaust's are still really loud.

Thanks & yeah I am familiar with that, but way too much money.

If I were to do it all over I would have done LT with stock exhaust. LT's with aftermarket exhaust is too loud. I had the MBRP Street with Stainless Power Catless Headers. I had to put two resonators in to quiet it down. There will be no loss of HP with the stock exhaust as long as staying NA.
Exactly what I assumed would happen, the combo would be way too loud for me. As far as power goes, I'm wondering if anyone has back to back results, swapping out the stock axle-back with an aftermarket one WITH the above mods. I assumed after adding LT's, H-pipe, CAI & tune, that the factory axle back would be a bottle-neck to some degree, I just didn't know how much. Or if it's possible to still gain 40-50rwhp from the LT's mid-pipe & tune, even with factory exhaust...that's the big question for me, if anyone has proof with dyno or better yet 1/4 mile numbers...

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
I did a dyno but it was just switching the stock catback with a magnaflow comp catback,not even a 2hp gain.I dont see the results changing much even with a tune and Lt,s.The stock catback flows pretty good.Most of the restrictions are the cats and midpipes.I dynoed 427 with stock exh manifolds,cat deletes which got rid of 2other bottle necks,custom tune and cai.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
catback gains 0 power headers will get you power, alot of guys that want a little more sound, but power benefit as well, go this route with us

n/a, no restriction really

OP
OP
Kbreese

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool deal. Sounds like LT's, H-pipe & maybe aftermarket tips are the way to guy for those who don't want to scare the sh*t out of everyone and set off alarms, without any power penalty.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Cool deal. Sounds like LT's, H-pipe & maybe aftermarket tips are the way to guy for those who don't want to scare the sh*t out of everyone and set off alarms, without any power penalty.
I keep thinking that putting in an H (or X) pipe in place of the OEM resonator, with LTs will still be pretty loud but more importantly, isn't the resonator the (on the factory pipes) responsible for eliminating highway drone?

Good thread, it's answering a ton of questions I had. :cheers:

Sponsored

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Starting to feel this way myself. Sometimes I just want to cruise and relax without the constant exhaust noise. The Stock exhaust definitely needs new tips to fill up some space. Thinking that maybe working from the front to the back is a better way of making sure you end up with the sound and performance you want. Hmmm

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Who sells tips for stock mufflers? I didn't think they were removable..

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
They're not, I believe you would need to cut and weld a tip on or figure a way to cut and clamp something on.
Correct, those must be cut off.

Moddiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Corsa touring is very quiet for an aftermarket axle back. Just put mine on today. Sounds great! Quietest axle back out there I think. Borla touring is probably about the same.

This with longtubes I bet would sound really good!
Sponsored