Sponsored

Insurance with a Supercharger

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Looked through my policy. All it says as it relates to custom modifications (permanent additions outside of OEM equipment) is that they are not covered for loss in the event of an insurable event unless previously agreed upon between me and them.
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I called every insurance company I could think of and have done alot of research on it.

No company (aside from specialty insurance companies like Hagerty) will cover a supercharger or a car with any "aftermarket performance modifications". From what I have read, if you are in an accident they will still honor your insurance policy, but will then cancel you. Of course YMMV and every company will be different. It is a risk though and if your supercharger/turbo is damaged in an accident it most likely wont be covered, but the rest of your policy will still be valid until you are cancelled..

OP
OP
NewTekBuzz

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
I called every insurance company I could think of and have done alot of research on it.

No company (aside from specialty insurance companies like Hagerty) will cover a supercharger or a car with any "aftermarket performance modifications". From what I have read, if you are in an accident they will still honor your insurance policy, but will then cancel you. Of course YMMV and every company will be different. It is a risk though and if your supercharger/turbo is damaged in an accident it most likely wont be covered, but the rest of your policy will still be valid until you are cancelled..
Yeah my first thought was, who cares if they don’t cover the mods... my wife said, they might not cover your car at all! Whooa.. I’d rather be in the know vs stuck with a loan on a totaled car. Worst case of course.
Just be aware

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Yeah for the most part I've taken my car off the road. I've put so much time, so much money, so much effort into getting this car to where it is that it just isn't worth driving it to work anymore when all it takes is some oblivious person doing their makeup on the highway or texting or just hassling me with their brodozer to take it all away. Occasional morning drives on the weekend is about all I'll do on public roads anymore.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Yeah for the most part I've taken my car off the road. I've put so much time, so much money, so much effort into getting this car to where it is that it just isn't worth driving it to work anymore when all it takes is some oblivious person doing their makeup on the highway or texting or just hassling me with their brodozer to take it all away. Occasional morning drives on the weekend is about all I'll do on public roads anymore.
I can understand that but if someone else is at fault, THEY still have to make you whole again, including any and all mods and the labor to do them. Insurance companies will fight but they will lose and your state's Insurance board can put the fear of God in them. I had a highly modified car totaled by another driver. The risk of triple damages for not dealing in good faith meant they caved.

foff667

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT Procharged D1X
typically speaking if you total your car the insurance company will give you a chance to buy it back at which point you can part it out...it what I did with my ls1 camaro years ago.

1quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt tvs
I have a 16 with a roush blower set up, I spun it out the first year and had to have the car repainted, allstate covered it and didnt drop me after no one ever asked if it was supercharged and they never looked when it was in the shop, I still have allstate

Moostang83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I work in insurance as an underwriter and the answer depends. Do you want to insure the supercharger with the car? if so, then its more expensive as the classification changes. You could just not tell them about it, but then the mods arent covered in the event of a total loss. The other issue depends on the carrier and underwriter reviewing the policy will accept the vehicle if they are aware of it. My company will cancel for any modifications on the vehicle used for racing or derby activity. So, thats where it can get dicey. I am a mod friendly underwriter and say its an "efficiency" mod because there are cars that have them from the factory to make them better. Other disagree and say its a racing mod if the car didnt have it originally.

Best of luck my friend.

OP
OP
NewTekBuzz

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
I should have made this a
I work in insurance as an underwriter and the answer depends. Do you want to insure the supercharger with the car? if so, then its more expensive as the classification changes. You could just not tell them about it, but then the mods arent covered in the event of a total loss. The other issue depends on the carrier and underwriter reviewing the policy will accept the vehicle if they are aware of it. My company will cancel for any modifications on the vehicle used for racing or derby activity. So, thats where it can get dicey. I am a mod friendly underwriter and say its an "efficiency" mod because there are cars that have them from the factory to make them better. Other disagree and say its a racing mod if the car didnt have it originally.

Best of luck my friend.
yeah this has become a battle. I’m not gonna pay double because I am adding this. So if my agent can’t write it and can’t find a company I’ll search myself.
Hagerty is saying I put too many miles on it! 6k a year.... really? That’s too much?
Dunno... might pull it from my policy and set it up independently

Sponsored

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
I should have made this a

yeah this has become a battle. I’m not gonna pay double because I am adding this. So if my agent can’t write it and can’t find a company I’ll search myself.
Hagerty is saying I put too many miles on it! 6k a year.... really? That’s too much?
Dunno... might pull it from my policy and set it up independently
Check Grundy.
A friend uses them on a modified old ranger.

Phill The Greek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GTPP
I use USAA and called them to inquire about this once I decided to go with a supercharger. They told me that their policies (or at least mine, state dependent) would cover up to $5000 on any modifications to include the supercharger.

degme2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
PAUL
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 v-6 HATCH BACK
Wow. Never heard of this. Kinda stupid though. What about a turbo. You telling me its ok for them to all come from the factory that way but not if you add it after the fact. All these 2.0 liter turbos are to dangerous to insure. Get out of here.
2.0 T Cost More to insure than a 3.7 V6 ):

OP
OP
NewTekBuzz

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
Looks like Hagerty is gonna insure me, they are just requiring a few specific pics. I think to make sure there is no NOS bottle or roll cage!
They did increase premium cost based on “estimated horsepower” though... I’m ok with this. I’ll be happy once I have POI in my hand.
Sponsored