Sponsored

Identify this metallic rattle 🙏

FrozenPea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Not my videos, but they do perfectly capture my noise. Unfortunately this owner hasn't posted anywhere what it turned out to be. Hoping someone recognizes the noise and can tell me the source.

It happens only when warm (after ~5-10minutes), never when cold. Not reproducible when stationary, only when under load which makes it very difficult. Driving uphill seems to make it more pronounced. No consistency with RPMs. I've dynamatted the bell housing plate on the transmission & replaced the flex pipe on the exhaust. Rubber mallet only gives me rattle on the flex pipe, which sounds pretty much the same as before I replaced it out of desperation.

At 0:04

At 0:05
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Not my videos, but they do perfectly capture my noise. Unfortunately this owner hasn't posted anywhere what it turned out to be. Hoping someone recognizes the noise and can tell me the source.

It happens only when warm (after ~5-10minutes), never when cold. Not reproducible when stationary, only when under load which makes it very difficult. Driving uphill seems to make it more pronounced. No consistency with RPMs. I've dynamatted the bell housing plate on the transmission & replaced the flex pipe on the exhaust. Rubber mallet only gives me rattle on the flex pipe, which sounds pretty much the same as before I replaced it out of desperation.

At 0:04

At 0:05

Check the emergency brake cable and attaching assembly found under the driver side trans tunnel. This has been a known source of metallic rattle as well and is hard to replicate unless in a certain RPM range.

When the cable is loose it raps against the trans tunnel under certain conditions OR could be touching exhaust mid pipe.

How to adjust the cable and assembly:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-to-adjust-your-parking-brake.25204/

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Check the emergency brake cable and attaching assembly found under the driver side trans tunnel. This has been a known source of metallic rattle as well and is hard to replicate unless in a certain RPM range.

When the cable is loose it raps against the trans tunnel under certain conditions OR could be touching exhaust mid pipe.

How to adjust the cable and assembly:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-to-adjust-your-parking-brake.25204/
First time I've heard this which is good info. Not sure if my car is making the same noise as that but it's close to it. I guess rattle/clicking noise. Happens when I'm going up a hill or low speeds. It's been there for a while, I did take it to the mechanic but they couldn't find the cause of it. Because my previous wheels were bent, mechanic said that might be the cause. But replacing my tires and wheels didn't help at all. Below is a video of mine which I'm sure I've posted before. Just me driving up my garage.

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
Absolutely sounds like detonation to me. I'd pull some spark plugs and check their gap and condition.

It's basically when combustion happens by a cause other than the spark plug. The sound you are hearing is the combustion trying to push the piston back down before its ready to go back down.

Mods? Fuel octane? How long has it been happening? Since the last tank of gas? After a certain mod or driving condition? I'd definitely pull the plugs and see what you find. You'll find little melted chunks on the electrode one that is causing your issue.

Keep us updated, hopefully we can help.

This video will help explain it more:

Last edited:
OP
OP

FrozenPea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Thanks for the tips guys. I will check both these things this weekend.

I've had the noise for a few months. Nothing has changed on the vehicle that coincides with it. I only ever put BP Ultimate 98 in the tank, which is generally regarded as the best fuel available here.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the tips guys. I will check both these things this weekend.

I've had the noise for a few months. Nothing has changed on the vehicle that coincides with it. I only ever put BP Ultimate 98 in the tank, which is generally regarded as the best fuel available here.
"which is generally regarded as the best fuel " aren't they all LMAO

Used BP high test for years, mistakenly thinking it was AMCO white with new branding. Needing fuel and no BP in site, pulled into a Chevron. My #2 choice at the time.

Long story short kicked BP to the curve .

OP
OP

FrozenPea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
No 2k rattle. I've listened to countless videos of that and it's not the same noise. Thanks for chiming in though 👍

Didn't intend to start a fuel conversation, just added that context knowing most of you are not from Australia. 'Best' is subjective... More accurately, in our market it's considered to be the most consistent petrol.

OP
OP

FrozenPea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Checked the spark plugs.. no damage found. A few of them were gapped too wide (~1.5mm) so I adjusted them down to within spec seeing as I had them out. It made no difference to the noise.

W.O.T. Stang's advice prompted me to check the knock sensor. The spikes below on KNOCK_2 correlate with the audible rattle. KNOCK_1 sometimes picks up the same vibrations but it's always reporting higher on _2

Never see the timing deviate from 0.00°

Screenshot_20210620-121339.png

Edit: also forgot to add that I checked the handbrake cable and it was not loose.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Knock sensor can fail, or be intermittent, I 'd start looking there. Should throw a code and ID the bad actor. Not sure but I would think there is more than one.

OP
OP

FrozenPea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
There were no DTCs when I checked. Is that what you meant?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I just traced down a similar rattle on my car to a small 4" plate riveted to the bottom of the bearing collar around the two piece driveshaft. it sits right above the suitcase resonator and inches from the ebrake bracket. Over time the two small rivets holding the plate to the bottom of the collar bracket I guess loosened up a tiny amount, which let this small plate make a disproportionate amount of noise.

It sounded like a metalish loose rattle in the cabin from the center console area near the ebrake. It wouldn't really make noise unless I was on the throttle, but wasn't speed sensitive or very sensitive to how much load. It didn't change if you pulled on the ebrake or not (which should have been a sign). Some metal tape on that bracket has shut it up entirely (for now).

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I just traced down a similar rattle on my car to a small 4" plate riveted to the bottom of the bearing collar around the two piece driveshaft. it sits right above the suitcase resonator and inches from the ebrake bracket. Over time the two small rivets holding the plate to the bottom of the collar bracket I guess loosened up a tiny amount, which let this small plate make a disproportionate amount of noise.

It sounded like a metalish loose rattle in the cabin from the center console area near the ebrake. It wouldn't really make noise unless I was on the throttle, but wasn't speed sensitive or very sensitive to how much load. It didn't change if you pulled on the ebrake or not (which should have been a sign). Some metal tape on that bracket has shut it up entirely (for now).
This is good information to know - thanks for sharing!
Sponsored