I4 vs V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Ive had my V6 since April 2015. Got it for 21k, black, manual trans. I much prefer it over the Ecoboost.
1) V6 is cheaper I think
2) I like the sound of the V6 and it sounds good with an exhaust
3) I prefer the smooth raw power delivery of a NA engine
4) The engine is more reliable
5) Only needs to drink 87
6) More rare, I can go a week without seeing a V6 but many EB/GT's
7) Discontinued for 2018, makes my love my V6 even more:D

Ecoboost is definitely the future though and IMO if you want a 4cyl, get the Ecoboost Mustang...if you want a 6cyl, get the V6 Camaro w/ upgraded exhaust.

But i'll be honest with you, you will most likely feel some regret not getting the GT, its just the nature of getting a EB/V6. If you are like me, you'll go through that stage and it'll pass because obviously an extra $10k will put you in a better car....if you are like the others, you will pinch every penny to do a trade in on a GT. Test drive all 3 of them and see which one is best for you. Don't forget MPG and Insurance as well.
Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
You might be able to find some leftover 16's on lots with 0% 72 month financing. You could probably find a base 16' GT in the high 20's since you said you would really like the GT. If you could find a leftover GT for $29k with the 0%/72 month financing, your payment would me less per month than a 25k v6/ecoboost, though insurance will probably be higher. That being said they are all great cars that look amazing. I would go ecoboost if you want Premium features, or V6 if you want some more sound and don't care about the premium stuff.

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
I would get the I4 or the v8. v6 aftermarket support is going to die after a few years. Also, the v6 doesn't sound that much better than the EB. My friend has a magnaflow catback on his v6 and my EB sounds much better in person with full exhaust. With the v6 it can get too raspy real quick

huachucastang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium 6MT PP
I have a 2015 ecoboost, manual with a $400 tune from american muscle. I have 340 horsepower and 380 torque. The car is fast and loads of fun. all for 32K.

Sponsored

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
7) Discontinued for 2018, makes my love my V6 even more:D

I like the fact of have the last gen V6 also
[off topic]

Same. It makes me sad, but now the ball is in Ford's court. The EB needs to see heavy R&D to make it better. Axing the V6 while gas is cheap and small cars are taboo is odd, but that means it's the EB's time to shine.

If the S550 was the EB's coming out party, say it's Freshman year at UNC, then the next generation will be its rookie year in the NBA with the big boys. I'd say 320 hp stock is a great benchmark to aim for. Coming from the VW world, the 1.8 and 2.0 single turbo engines were so great because VW invested the money to make the 2.0 TFSI so much better in the areas that the 1.8 was weak. The 1.8 was the same for the engines that preceded it.

If the EB must be the future, Ford has a good thing. But they have to keep refining and making it better.

[/off topic]

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
What can I say that hasn't been said? I own the Eco premium,Do I wish it rumbled like the V8 yes!but I got what I could afford the color I wanted and the 6 speed manual. and more horsepower that anyone could use on the street (legally) I get compliments where ever I go and the jaw drops when I tell that a 4cyl has 310hp and 32 mpg highway.If you need the sound or want to brag about having a V8 get the GT but if you want a sleeper that gives attitude adjustments go with the Eco.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
The GT is ideal, but if you can't afford it don't listen to these guys telling you to ignore the EB/V6. They are both excellent choices and a good balance of power and fuel economy. I got mine for 24k, which was less than x plan. I couldn't afford more than 25 or so at the time, and for that price the pony cars beat out the competition imo [hot hatches,BRZ FRS]. I wasn't really considering the GT since the cost of entry was really high.

I've had my V6 since Feb 2015 and it has been a great car. Fun, good on gas, and so far very reliable. The EB will have more aftermarket support, but people seem to forget the V6 has been around since 2011. It had some really bad S550 specific support when the S550 came out, but there are a fair amount of mods available now from exhaust to S550 specific FI kits. Stroker kits and pistons are also available, which obviously work on S197/S550 cars. Some other S197 mods work as well. So mods are available. Is it worth doing them? That's another question you have to answer yourself. I personally just do small mods.

The choice between the two will come down to your preference of N/A over FI. Drive both and decide.

The 3.7 will continue to be produced for other cars if they don't put it in the Mustang. It is used in vans, police interceptors, Lincoln Continental, etc. So it isn't really "so long" to the V6, it will be around for a while.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
So mods are available. Is it worth doing them? That's another question you have to answer yourself. I personally just do small mods.
On my V6 I only have:
-Exhaust (FM Outlaws)
-Pedalcommander

Future mods:
-Intake
-Possibly an x-pipe

Future Cosmetic mods:
-Black rims
-Smoked tint kit for front and back lights
-Black badges and maybe a 3.7 badge

Once I get the murdered-out look complete, i'll be set. It's my daily driver and I don't bring it to the tracks nor do I even street race unless people entice me. I've already beaten a crapload of cars so I really don't need the GT.
This may be a sin to say in a Mustang forum but: I love my V6

Sponsored

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If given the choice, I would go with a V6 Manual over the EB Manual. If all you can find is a 6A V6 then I'd go for the EB manual. I've seen those well under $20K with low miles.
........but then again, I'm one of those who can't imagine NOT having a manual transmission in a sports/muscle car.....to each his own.

Lensync

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red MT-82 3.55's base car
I brought my son in law and daughter down to Ford 3 weeks ago and they both bought Stangs... One a v6 and the other an Ecoboost both 2016's. All I can say is they stole them and I mean stole them like low, low $20's OTD. Incentives are out there so act fast!! As far as the driving?? Both are fast.. I like them and can hardly believe the performance to dollar ratio... But HOW they deliver the power is VERY different as others have pointed out... I'd worry about the color you like before I'd worry about the speed. Both are about the same as far as 0-60 and 1/4 mile so just love it and make it yours. (There will be more mail order goodies for the Ecoboost.) But then again, Procharger has a nice P1sc to go on those v6's!!!! Just grab your Stang and get in the club!

jester1x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost - Base, Oxford White, 6MT
I've had my car for a year and don't regret the EcoBoost at all. It's sporty, efficient and balances the car nicely.
I feel exactly the same way (after approximately 90 days of ownership).

I'd never knock any I4, V6 or V8 Mustang owner. But, the overall cost of owning a GT is a bit too much for my overall budget.

If your Mustang is a daily driver then you have to factor in the cost of gas as well.

Do you live on your own? Are you a student and/or work full-time? Getting tied up with a car payment for 4 to 7 years can severely limit your options in life.

To give you some perspective, I'm in my 40s and the last time I walked onto a dealer lot was in 2004.

Last edited:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Keep this thread on topic and cut out the vulgarity. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.