Sponsored

I am on the verge of selling my Mustang guys...

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
I would get the M2. I have a 21 M2 Comp after having 5 Mustangs. Wanted something different. It now has 30k miles on it and not one issue. The BMW repairs etc is not an issue with this car so far. Besides BMW is ranked much higher than Ford in reliability these days. Look it up.

I have not missed my Mustangs at all. Just the sound. Its nice to be in a car that you dont see 14 others of at every light.
Come back when you are 3 years out of warranty.

NO question ANY BMW is superior point for point. They are Brilliant cars, and under warranty are fantastic to own. If you want to keep long after warranty, you better be prepared to BMW "Bring More Wallet"
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Isn't it strange that the only reasonable alternative to a Mustang will be a BMW? 20 years ago you would have never thought of such a thing.
I don't find it strange at all as the only goal for Ford Mustang Chief Engineer Dave Pericak and his team who headed up the Boss 302 Program namely Project 747 was to beat the M3 at Laguna Seca with a 2012 Boss 302 which he and his Ford Racing Team accomplished.

Not only was the 2012 Boss 302 4-seat model faster than the M3 at Laguna Seca but the 2-seat Laguna Seca model clocked even faster times which resulted in lap times which were under 1:40.

BlkMach10510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
Come back when you are 3 years out of warranty.

NO question ANY BMW is superior point for point. They are Brilliant cars, and under warranty are fantastic to own. If you want to keep long after warranty, you better be prepared to BMW "Bring More Wallet"
bmw maint shock lol

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I need to get my neighbor on here to talk about his M3’s and M4’s. Probably his favorite story is the time he had to pay $13,000 for two cylinder head rebuilds at 70-some thousand miles so he could trade it in on his next one. He’s been driving them for 20 years and I have yet to envy one… fast Camrys.

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Zero Options, Orange Fury)
Every new car I've test driven is sterile. I can't do it. Performance without driver engagement is an absolute no go for me at this point in my journey. M3/M4 are sterile new cars. Extremely capable, I mean that, extremely capable, but make no mistake they are sterile. Don't want it. I haven't test driven an M2 so I can't say with confidence it is as well, but I'd bet it is.

Sponsored

Mach Daddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
Interested to hear your comparisons. Auto/Manual of each? Makes a huge difference IMNSHO.

I really like the Supra (2020) but the lack of rear seat, real trunk, limited dash and terrible buffeting with windows down waived me off. A fantastic driving car though, just didn't fit my needs.
Had the auto in each, my supra with just a tune and downpipe was actually amazing, one of the best cars I ever owned and definitely would kill my stock Mach 1. And the ZF transmission was also amazing.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's a great thing we have choices and options in life, lol. I know Dave enjoyed his mustang and imo if he got an s650 he would just be missing his old car. He won't be satisfied until he's in an M2 and that's totally fine. If you can afford a new one its not like you're gonna have many problems.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My 1989 944 S2 and 1976 912 are all the P car I need.
Those are two really fun to drive old P cars. They should be very economical to maintain, too. I had a 67(?) 911 with a replacement engine many years ago. Very crude, but it was a blast to toss around. Just don't take your foot off the gas in the middle of a turn.

TeamGomez

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.centripetalsolutions.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'18 350, 996 GT-3, 330 ZHP, E46 M3, SQ5, Tundra
There was another thread around these parts that I stumbled on after getting my 350 last Nov. It spoke to the 'sterility' of the BMW engine feedback loop. No induction sound, a lackluster exhaust, and essentially on the other end of the bell curve of excitement alongside EV's for driver feedback.

I've owned a number of E46 series (comp M's and 'lowly' 330's) and waved off on the E90 series V8 b/c of the embarrassingly low torque. Sounded great but driving one made me feel like a hot rod poseur (coming from a '69 Camaro with a fuel injected 502 BBC). If you want V8 torque and snarliness, nothing beats the FPC on the 5.2 nor a 5.0 with a Roush catback.

It all boils down to mission objective for me though I still can't get the sound of an M4 out of my head (2016-ish) that sounded like a farting goat. I'm sure it ripped, but the sound was laughable at best.

I can't stand the newer Roundels as they evidently told Chris Bangle (the E46 killer) to 'hold my beer'. If I needed a traffic machine that could double as an HPD sled, I might be inclined to go with 2015 M5 but not unlike our beasts, there are achilles heels. Rod bearings, throttle actuators & coil packs are the 'pay to play' items.

One thing is for certain: I'd have a hard time driving a newer M and parking next to a V8 Mustang b/c I know what he's getting in return for his efforts. Like seeing somebody who is dating your hot ex-girlfriend and recalling her 'smiles per mile quotient'...ahem....

Last edited:

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I am hearing impaired, so I find it peculiar that so much emphasis is placed on the sound of the engine. You get a considerably different perspective without it.

Sponsored

Gargoyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
My cousin took delivery of his custom ordered '24 ZF8 M2 a couple of months ago. He went all black to help the front end not being noticed as bad. Nice car! Stock for stock they are a little faster than an A10 3.55 S550 even though they are rated close to the mustangs output and weigh within 40 lbs of the S550. He seems to really like it, but, for $20k less I'll keep my stang!
All the auto tests show quarter around 12 seconds for the BMW and the 18 to 21 s550 A10 were the same even sub 12 so he just paid more …

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I am hearing impaired, so I find it peculiar that so much emphasis is placed on the sound of the engine. You get a considerably different perspective without it.

Well, BMW must realize how much sound adds to the overall experience since they've been piping in fake engine noise and adding exhaust crackles when in sport mode for years now.

Gargoyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
I would get the M2. I have a 21 M2 Comp after having 5 Mustangs. Wanted something different. It now has 30k miles on it and not one issue. The BMW repairs etc is not an issue with this car so far. Besides BMW is ranked much higher than Ford in reliability these days. Look it up.

I have not missed my Mustangs at all. Just the sound. Its nice to be in a car that you dont see 14 others of at every light.
Since this is a Mustang forum and I owned BMW junk before…It’s new that’s why especially after having 5 mustangs you feel that way . I get that but BMWs are like roaches where I live -everywhere. I actually see less mustangs so no benefit there. It’s not faster then a Mustang as the 2018 to 2021 A10 did sub 12 quarter. Side by side (take out all the social media influencing and wanna be rich stupidity) and the BMW is uglier and looks more like a family car then a sports car. BMWs sounds like crap why? -family car. At 30k your fine along the way to 100k you will have more problems and they will cost way more.

Gargoyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
I’m also going to drop this here

“BMW versus Ford: Quality, Reliability, Safety, and Value Retention Ratings. A comparison of BMW versus Ford overall quality ratings shows Ford with higher quality ratings in 10 out of 11 model comparisons. In terms of reliability ratings, Ford has the advantage in 11 out of 11 comparisons.”

Plus Mustangs vs M cars are way more reliable.

TRDFurgesson

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 N0426, 22 Bronco Wildtrak 2dr, 92 Yota 4x
Vehicle Showcase
Certainly agree that the Boss 302 "Road Runner" engine which was built in Windsor, Ontario would be more reliable when it comes to a HPDE but after having some seat time in some 2016 Pilot Production GT350/R's at Sebring the 5.2 L Voodoo engine is something to behold especially at the 8,250 RPM redline.

Was able to locate and purchase some Pilot Production Boss 302 models namely PP0001, PP0002 and PP0004 and for those that don't like the styling of the 2-seat Laguna Seca model (I get that) hopefully the 4-seat version might be more appealing to your senses as they are all outstanding Mustang's.

I regularly redlined my Boss 302 and GT350/R models without exception but the Voodoo engine is certainly more exotic and high strung therefore the Road Runner engine is a better choice from a reliability standpoint when it comes to track time IMO.

PP0001-3 (2).jpg

2012 Boss 302.jpg
The Laguna Seca would have been my choice…. My Mach 1 only has 2 seats.

IMG_7423.jpeg
Sponsored