HUD Fan Or Not?

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2023 Mach 1 with Handling Package
I have to say that if you'd asked me about HUD a few years ago, I would have said "no way". But, after having used a Garmin GPS pretty regularly for a few years now, I've come to like being able to keep my eyes on the same plane and just glance over for info...including MPH.

I really think I'd like HUD...especially if I could select the info I'd like to have displayed..it's size and location...as well as the ability to turn it off if I'd want to.

I think my "no way"...would now be a "you bet!"
Sponsored

91z28350

Obsessed with Horse Power
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JAMES
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT500 - 837 RWHP AND COUNTING
Abso-fricking-lutely! I love HUD, only thing I envy on the Camaro. And, at least on GM's version, you can turn it basically off with the brightness control. Next hot rod, Z/06 or GT500 (if they make it), HUD or lack thereof could be the deciding factor.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I would love to have a HUD. I pre ordered this:

http://www.navdy.com/
I might like this in my Taurus with its large, pasture-like dash but I'm not so sure in the Mustang's cockpit. I like the HUD display but the unit looks...unwieldy, bulky, un-appealing to my eyes.

Babiblues75

Threads
Reaction score
Two things I would really like to have in my Mustang now that i've put some miles in one.

A HUD and a glass roof.

The HUD would be really useful. While I like the guage cluster, I find it a little cramped. It would be nice if there was a HUD button on the steering wheel to activate and deactivate the HUD. That would solve the issue for those who find them distracting.

The glass roof, well I'll explain that one whenever I get around to making a thread. :D
I'm with you on both!!!!!!

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Maybe I'm not into it because I don't really use GPS 99% of the time. I also don't drive on highways typically (work is less than 1mi away down the street).

However, there should 100% be a digital speedometer in the center gauge display. For now, you can use your phone & torque :)

Sponsored

ranchero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Yes to HUD. I delivered a friend's Corvette from Wyoming to south of Tucson and found the (then new to me) HUD excellent and useful. Had it been available on the 2015 Mustang I now have ordered, I would have opted for it.

To me, the HUD is of most use on highways and interstates at speed.

- ranchero -

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
I had it in my first car, a Pontiac Bonneville SSEi, and you don't realize how incredibly useful it is until you've driven it for a while. It's especially noticeable when you switch to another car; like it's lacking something.
I have a Pontiac SSE with the HUD and miss it when i go to "gauge only" vehicles. I like not having to take my eyes off the road.

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
So just so you can see your speed on the windshield? $300 is a bit salty for that if you ask me. So youre not gonna use the phone and navigation features? :shrug:
It would also block the Collision Avoidance LED that projects on the screen. Since my center stack, NAV and voice commands already gives me nearly all of the functionality of the NAVDY, all I really want is a digital speedometer in the DIC. (that's "Driver Information Center" for those who minds went elsewhere LOL)

Sponsored

Jimdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado and R32 GTR
My brother was an Air Force Pilot. HUD displays are played all over the windscreen.
The Air Force found that 'low angle' displays were the worst...your eyes tend to stay down on the display. 'High angle' displays were the best...your eyes try to drop down away from the display. That's why laptop/cell stands are so bad...your eyes tend to stay down even below part of the dash.
So a low HUD should display the least amount of information to get you to move your eyes back up as quickly as possible.
My last car had HUD, it only displayed mph and I could use my lower peripheral vision to see it rather than staring at it,
here you go... High angle HUD
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]4iP9crOFv9o[/MEDIA]"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iP9crOFv9o[/ame]
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]c4MxjMzhnFQ[/MEDIA]"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4MxjMzhnFQ[/ame]
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]6j-xpm_3Lh8[/MEDIA]"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j-xpm_3Lh8[/ame]

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
If it were an option... great... you can pay for it but an HUD is not necessary in my opinion... it's just one more tech gadget that does not benefit anything except your or own tech junkie habit.... and that is coming from a die hard tech junkie

OP
OP
The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT PP Magnetic
If it were an option... great... you can pay for it but an HUD is not necessary in my opinion... it's just one more tech gadget that does not benefit anything except your or own tech junkie habit.... and that is coming from a die hard tech junkie
Ditto, that sentiment is my POV...

volsfan0911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
I've never seen one that I could use with polarized sunglasses. Test drive on a F30 3 series last year along with driving a friend's C6? HUD was worthless to me both times. At night they'd probably be awesome for me with regular (clear) glasses. And I have AR coatings on all my glasses...

RoryTate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
I had a Camaro SS as a rental recently and I found the hud to be useful, especially navigating around a new area. If it were available in the Mustang I might option it.
Sponsored