stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
For what it's worth, I hit up Ford Performance online chat about this....
Ford Oil.PNG
Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Check out "Section 2" in https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/201...-test-ranking/

He talks about the benefits of a thinner oil extensively and mentioned more effective cooling, better air dissipation, and what the term "film strength" really means.
Thinner oil does transfer heat better. HOWEVER, if you don't have a sufficient cooler (which almost every street car does not) and the oil temps raise to above the ideal operating range and thin out, there will be less protection and increased potential for damage. Thus thicker oil, like 5W50 is recommended and will be in the correct tolerances to protect the motor at temperatures that it will see on track.

If you have a giant air to oil cooler and are able to keep your oil temps below 220-230*F, then 5W20 would probably be fine to track the car with.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
My 6,000+ page shop manual has zero reference of that.

Don't get me wrong, for my (boosted) stang I run 5w-50 or 0w-40 depending on the season, but I couldn't find a reference.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
He clearly doesn't know what s197 and s550 mean, based on that answer, IMO.

My 6,000+ page shop manual has zero reference of that.

Don't get me wrong, for my (boosted) stang I run 5w-50 or 0w-40 depending on the season, but I couldn't find a reference.
Agree.

I've been using 0w40 and will going forward.

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
He clearly doesn't know what s197 and s550 mean, based on that answer, IMO.

Agree.

I've been using 0w40 and will going forward.
Well considering you have boss rods, bearings, crank and some things improved over the boss, stock. Im pretty sure he does. You have the same bearing tolerances. I dont get why some think this motor is so much different, when its not. :confused:

5w20 is based on epa and trying to not get smacked with gas guzzler tax. Thats it, it really is that simple. Hes clelarly wrong about the shop manual if daltron couldnt find it though.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Well considering you have boss rods, bearings, crank and some things improved over the boss, stock. Im pretty sure he does. You have the same bearing tolerances. I dont get why some think this motor is so much different, when its not. :confused:

5w20 is based on epa and trying to not get smacked with gas guzzler tax. Thats it, it really is that simple. Hes clelarly wrong about the shop manual if daltron couldnt find it though.
I'm not sure how you interpreted that I think our engines are different and should use 5w20 or shouldn't run 5w50 from my post...

I was referencing the fact that its is NOT in any factory service manuals to use 5w50 on the s550. It is 100% a known insert to the factory owners manual, and in shop manuals, to use 5w50 for the 13/14 track packs in severe duty, and OE spec in the Boss engines.

Got it? good...

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!

I'm not sure how you interpreted that I think our engines are different and should use 5w20 or shouldn't run 5w50 from my post...

I was referencing the fact that its is NOT in any factory service manuals to use 5w50 on the s550. It is 100% a known insert to the factory owners manual, and in shop manuals, to use 5w50 for the 13/14 track packs in severe duty, and OE spec in the Boss engines.

Got it? good...
Where did i say you thought that? Ill wait. I was addressing why he wasnt confused on the difference between s197. Farther more i was addressing directly anyone who thinks out engines are so much different that they should use 5w20 only, it wasnt about you at all. Id have asked you directly if i felt you thought that

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So who wants to write an official letter to Ford and demand an explanation for all this?

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Where did i say you thought that? Ill wait. I was addressing why he wasnt confused on the difference between s197. Farther more i was addressing directly anyone who thinks out engines are so much different that they should use 5w20 only, it wasnt about you at all. Id have asked you directly if i felt you thought that
Learn how to use forum quotes then you badass...

Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I don't avoid dealerships or manuals as I do derive information from these sources but,
I speak with ASE certified mechanics to gain more knowledge as well as hands on the Wheel experimentation myself in the twisty's and tracks when I have the opportunity.
I use 5w 30 Pennzoil synthetic and add Lucas stabilizer at each change with a Ford Racing oil filter and I use a catch can as well.

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
Well I read through 11 pages of this thread and still don't know whether to use 30W or 40W oil in my S550 GTPP at the track.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
My limited understanding:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity
Viscosity is resistance to flow.

Viscosity changes with temperature!

Failures we have seen:
Overheated pistons with burn thru, cracked ring lands, broken oil pump gears.
Lesser reported is compression loss thru ring wear.

So your max CHTs should decide your oil weight. Dont go WOT below CHT 200 on 5w-50 on stock oil pump gears as some have broken in cold WOT on various viscosity oils.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Cross post from FI thread.
Whippled: run 5w20 all street year round and cold drag passes (<200 CHT).
PM all the broken OPG guys and they will likely warn you on cold drag passes or WOT less than 5min 185+. Hella respect to those guys posting up experiences.

Have tracked(road course) a Whipple in various configurations:

If stock OPG and stock tstat:
5W20 wait for at least 5 min after CHT 185 before WOT. Track 210-240
5W30 5min @ CHT 195. Track 210-240
0W40 5min @ CHT 205. Track 215-245.
5W50 track use on stock thermostat work up to CHT 220 for running CHT 235-250. Expect logs to show cam timing issues or even see codes if pushed hard cold. (I ran 5w50 once, shows higher pressure at pump but think its misleading as its because of resistance to flow and higher temps seem to indicate less oil cooling. Less flow means starving bearings and rings and more heat?)

Oil changed after every track weekend.

Current setup:
Hood/Windshield coping, battery cover, and hood gasket removed to vent engine bay rear, Lower grill only removed, Reische 170 tstat. Max CHT on track running hard 20 min is 190. Tracking w 5w20 QSUD spring falll. 5w30 QSUD if CHT hits 205 in summer. TSS OPG, MRR TG, 5.2 pump and pan.

QSUD 5W-20 street always

Should probably do a UOA (blackstone or polaris) comparo between 5w20 and 5w30 with each getting 4x20min sessions.
My biggest concern is ring/cylinder wall/compression at this point so I should prolly be measuring that after every track weekend as well.
Sponsored