20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
Going to change oil again soon. My neighbor asked me why I use Royal Purple Synthetic? I have been using Royal Purple for quite a few years. But, I couldn't remember why. Will someone help me with a good response?
Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Royal Purple was a better product when it first came out, but after they removed the Sinerlec, ZDDP, Moly additive packs due to catalytic converter issues, it isn't any better than all the other stuff you can buy at Walmart. They do still make a "racing oil" with those additives called XPR, as well as a street car version called HPS. Neither of which are "recommended" for vehicles still under the factory warranty.

Sponsored

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's probably not 'bad', but It's not cheap. I've never seen it come out on top in any of the different motor oil comparisons I've seen.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Most of the well known oils meet or exceed expectations of manufacturer. I stick to Motorcraft synthetic blend and never had any issues with any Fords. My previous Coyote ran to a healthy 130K miles, not burning any oil. I am sure some Oil analysis freaks will be swearing by different oils.

OP
OP
20ducks

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
Royal Purple was a better product when it first came out, but after they removed the Sinerlec, ZDDP, Moly additive packs due to catalytic converter issues, it isn't any better than all the other stuff you can buy at Walmart. They do still make a "racing oil" with those additives called XPR, as well as a street car version called HPS. Neither of which are "recommended" for vehicles still under the factory warranty.
For a full synthetic, what do you recommend?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
it isn't any better than all the other stuff you can buy at Walmart.
LOVE Walmart. Bought two 5.5 liter jugs of Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 for $60 CAD. I would rate the platinum as the TOP oil one could buy.

Anyways RP is all hype. MOTUL if you really wanna be different.

Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
For a full synthetic, what do you recommend?
Depends. If you are just looking for something off the shelf- really any full synthetic 5W-30 will do. If you want affordable, go with the Quaker state Ultimate durability 5w-30. Every Walmart has it, and its like 22 bucks for a 5 gallon jug.

If you can wait a day or two, order the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum from Amazon or Walmart. None of my local stores carry the Ultra Platinum product, but maybe yours do.

Personally, I like to run a 0W-40 or 5W-40. Motul, Penzoil Ultra Platinum SRT, Mobil 1 Supercar, Liqui-Moly, Castrol etc.

These motors really aren't that hard on oil (not talking about forced induction or E85) So if you are stockish, Just run a synthetic 5w-30 and change it every 4-5k.

Last edited:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Nothing wrong with good old Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5W-30. That’s what I use in mine. Otherwise, anything that meets or exceeds Ford’s spec is just fine.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Liqui Moly ...does it rank up there or ...
Sure. If its good enough for Porsche, Im sure its fine for Ford. It is pricey though.

There is no such thing as a "Motor Oil Expert" on this forum ,or any other. Everyone has opinions, hearsay, taste tests etc. but really it's 99% opinion.

You can run anything from 0-20 all the way up to 5w-50 depending on conditions.

My motor sounds a bit quieter and slightly smoother when I run A3/B4 spec oils (european standard) but aside from that, it honeslty doesn't matter nearly as much as changing it frequently (4-5k, or less if running E85 due to fuel dilution and moisture)

In Illinois, I'd be running a 0w-xxx in winter for easier start ups, but again, thats just me.

TrueBlue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.3L High Performance Package Fastback
Most of the well known oils meet or exceed expectations of manufacturer. I stick to Motorcraft synthetic blend and never had any issues with any Fords. My previous Coyote ran to a healthy 130K miles, not burning any oil. I am sure some Oil analysis freaks will be swearing by different oils.
^This 100%. I have 14 years and 106,000mi on my 2011 5.0, all of which was run with good ol’ Motorcraft Synthetic Blend. Zero noises, zero problems, zero burning.
Sponsored