Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
Model: GT Premium, build date 2/24/15
Miles: 289
Median Temperature: 50 - 60's Fahrenheit
Grinds: None, very smooth
Thuds: 1 > 2 gear, very minor
Other: I've had the car a total of 5 days. Started leaking on day 2 or 3. It had been raining and was difficult to see in the garage. Took the car to the dealer on the morning of day 6 thinking it was engine. On day 9 the dealer identified a transmission leak from the top vent. Dealer reports substantial metal in the fluid, and determined that a transmission replacement was necessary. Unfortunately, there are no spare MT82s to be had. This has been escalated by the dealer and Ford. As of day 11 I'm still waiting for a new, replacement transmission. From what I'm hearing, Ford can't just pull one off the line at Flat Rock - they are going to the supplier. It's my understanding that the MT82 installed in the 6G is assembled in China.
Sponsored

VTECSAUCE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB PP GT w/ RECARO's & ITR swapped '94 hatch
Model - GT PP
Miles - 5XXX
Median Temperature - 60-70 Deg Fahrenheit (thus far, FL is warming up)
Grinds - 2-3 (probably user error, I wear military boots driving home early in the morning from work and the clutch is very numb feeling)
Thuds - Seems to happen at random, noticeably in lower gears and reverse or standstill shifting into gear, not worried
Other - This is my first deviation from a Honda and my first RWD vehicle. I never in my life thought I'd drive a Mustang...back on topic, LOVE the transmission feel compared to previous generations, not a fan of the reverse lock out at all. Its unnecessary, an eyesore to me and gets annoying during driving at times. Clutch is also very numb feeling but makes daily driving a breeze, cant decide if its worth taking out the spring or not. Overall I think this car's drivetrain feels solid. Every Honda I've owned had grinds in higher rpm operation, this car has had no issue with spirited hard driving at all...the Japanese can build a motor but a transmission appears to be problematic for them. Sorry I wasn't very brief

BlackS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 black s550 PP
Despite my ongoing DAMN NOISES, my trans has been shifting great.

However, my trans /flywheel/clutch was replaced already at 1000 miles. Was there something wrong with the old trans? Not really, but I do notice this trans feels different than my last one. With my last one , I would always get a nibble going into 3rd a lot, and often times second would grind trying to snatch it at high rpms. This new MT82 in my GT feels much better.

Im currently at 1480 miles.
howd u get them to replace it if nothing was really wrong with it then?

thanks

BlackS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 black s550 PP
Once in awhile if I let my foot off the clutch to quick or don't get on the gas hard enough in the transition. But not like how you're describing. Hmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
im pretty sure this is the only time im feeling the same issue too goin 1 > 2 that everyone is describing. only i probably do this a lot more than you because this is my first manual car and ive only had it for a couple weeks.

BlackS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 black s550 PP
Model: GT Premium, build date 2/24/15
Miles: 289
Median Temperature: 50 - 60's Fahrenheit
Grinds: None, very smooth
Thuds: 1 > 2 gear, very minor
Other: I've had the car a total of 5 days. Started leaking on day 2 or 3. It had been raining and was difficult to see in the garage. Took the car to the dealer on the morning of day 6 thinking it was engine. On day 9 the dealer identified a transmission leak from the top vent. Dealer reports substantial metal in the fluid, and determined that a transmission replacement was necessary. Unfortunately, there are no spare MT82s to be had. This has been escalated by the dealer and Ford. As of day 11 I'm still waiting for a new, replacement transmission. From what I'm hearing, Ford can't just pull one off the line at Flat Rock - they are going to the supplier. It's my understanding that the MT82 installed in the 6G is assembled in China.
omg.. :headbonk:

let us know how this turns out

Sponsored

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
omg.. :headbonk:

let us know how this turns out

Imaginager : definitely keep us posted and best of luck. I hope the dealer/Ford comes through and you get back on the road happy :)

Thanks, guys. I’m afraid my reply will be a bit long winded. At this point, it's really not my local dealer who is the problem. Here’s the timeline:

3/14 - Purchased the new 2015 GT Premium

3/15 - Washed it in prep for wax / sealer and discovered significant contaminants (rail car wheel dust) to all the horizontal surfaces. Prior to putting the car back in the garage I noticed oil on the floor. However, a previous car had leaked a few spots of oil last year, so I assumed it was from the other vehicle.

3/16 - Called the dealer and took the car in for direction on fixing the paint finish; the dealer scheduled my car for clay and detailing that coming Friday.

3/19 - Washed the car again (it had rained all week) the evening before the detailing appointment. Observed oil on the garage floor, investigated, determined it was fresh. Called dealer, they scheduled my car for inspection immediately after the detail work was completed the next day.

3/20 - Took car to dealer at 8am for detail work, which resolved contaminant issue. Transferred to service and obtained a loaner (Fusion) for the day. Received call late in the day that the source of the oil leak was not known, dealer had not ruled out transmission. I keep the loaner (and still have it).

3/23 - Dealer communicated that engine oil was half a quart high, removed fluid, ran car, leak returned. Dealer put dye in the engine oil and let sit overnight.

3/24 - Dealer ran car next morning, leak evident, but no dye in leaking fluid. Called Ford Technical Hotline, directed to inspect transmission. Transmission leaking from top vent, substantial metal in fluid, Ford says to replace. However, no transmissions are available. Dealer escalates to Ford to locate transmission. Via this forum, I am put in contact with a Ford Customer Service Division rep who tells me Ford is also working the issue.

3/25 - Respond to Ford Customer Service Division rep, thanking them for assistance, stating I expect to receive a new transmission, reminding them that the dealer has had my car for as long as I have at that point. Rep replies, gracious but with no information.

3/26 - No communication.

3/27 - Contact dealer in AM who explains Ford told dealer that morning that no transmissions are available for 6 - 8 weeks. Dealer tells Ford that’s unacceptable. I call Ford Customer Service Division rep and leave voicemail, stating the same. Contact Better Business Bureau and initiate an Auto Line complaint. The BBB has standing agreement with Ford to arbitrate such claims where the outcome can be Repair, Reimbursement, Repurchase, or Replacement. BBB notifies Ford of complaint. Shortly after I receive an email from the Ford Customer Service Division rep assuring me they are working with my dealer’s Service Manager and have lodged another request for involvement from a Field Service Engineer.

I visit the dealer and speak to the Assistant Service Manager assigned to my car. He relates that Ford’s emails of that morning indicate a hold on the assembly line as Field Service Engineers investigate issues with the MT82. Therefore, all MT82s are in question (factory, dealer’s inventory, etc.). He assured me that his manager is continuing the conversation with Ford and they would have more information for me before the end of the day.

Dealer’s Service Manager called me in the PM. He said the information I got from his Assistant was not entirely correct. He has a contact with SVT and was told later that, while there is a hold at the line, it is not because of an issue with the MT82. To put minds at ease, He was told there are no known issues with the MT82. He said he told Ford that they have two options: 1) repurchase my car (so I can buy another); OR 2) ship a new, replacement transmission.

He told me he is also willing to explore pulling a transmission from a car in their own inventory to replace mine. He said whichever way Ford goes, he will call me Monday, 3/30, with the outcome and we can go from there. I have confidence in the dealer's Service Manager and look forward to Monday for an outcome. I will update this thread as I learn more.

OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Hopefully they can just let you get a new car. Id hate drive a car that since new is having some type of issue. Just leaves me with an uneasy feeling from the get go. Regardless of what happens, seems like they are helping out, although slow.

Msteers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT M6
Wow Imaginager, keep us updated!

Just a quick info starter, I owned and spiritually drove a 2012 5.0 for over 50k miles with over 100 Track passes. Changed the trans fluid to Amsoil Snychomesh and it made a hell of a difference.

The trans did develop a very loud whine in gears 1-4. With modifications done to the drivetrain(shifter, whiteline trans bushing, driveshaft) they wanted $900 to tear down the trans and inspect. All of which makes sense and myself being a service advisor I understood. I self diagnosed the issue as a screaming mains haft bearing and traded the car in for a 15'.

As a heads up to those interested in the Steeda/Whiteline shift bushing, I noticed the whine to appear after a week of the bushing being in. It did make a huge difference in shifting and overall stability of the vehicle and I'm not pointing to that being the concern but I was awfully coincidental. The amount of play that these transmission require may of had an effect on it's internals after it's main lower mount becoming very stiff with this inserted mount(positive shift bushing).
We know they beefed up the synchros and did some work and can't wait to hear from other people.

Model - GT
Miles - 750 in 2 weeks
Median Temperature - 30-60
Grinds - None
Thuds - 1 > 2 > 3 gears. I removed the helper spring and actually feels like a normal clutch pedal at this point. With over 50k miles experience with an MT-82 the thud is new for me and sounds like a remote gearbox location symptom.

Other- Like the 12 I notice clutch chatter if i release the clutch alittle too fast at idle/neutral.

Been driving the car a lot the past 2 weeks and will go back to a weekend warrior once I hit 1k. Plan to change to Amsoil Synch for trans at 3k when I change the engine oil.

waited

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
GTP-PP 2015
I have 670 miles now. i have hard time about the thud too. it just started 1 week ago. mostly 2nd. sometime 3rd and 4th as well.
I am really seriously think about change to a MGW shifter.

Most of people have the same issue, it is kind of well known issue since 2011. why ford not do any action? such as giving us bracket or change shifter for us or recall.

I love my mustang but hate ford so much... :frusty:

Sponsored

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Dealer’s Service Manager called me in the PM. He said the information I got from his Assistant was not entirely correct. He has a contact with SVT and was told later that, while there is a hold at the line, it is not because of an issue with the MT82. To put minds at ease, He was told there are no known issues with the MT82.
If there were really big issues with this transmission in general, we would know by now. We'd have multiple instances of problems announced on this site. I'm not worried about it. Hope you get your situation resolved soon. If it takes longer ask for a blower. :cheers:

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
Hopefully they can just let you get a new car. Id hate drive a car that since new is having some type of issue. Just leaves me with an uneasy feeling from the get go. Regardless of what happens, seems like they are helping out, although slow.
I've got mixed feelings. On the one hand, since the dealer resolved the paint issue, the car I bought is a solid grade A, cosmetically (panel fit and finish). It also has the options I wanted. On the other hand, subjectively speaking, swapping out the transmission does tend to undermine owner confidence. And, of course, having my car in the shop for such an extended period of time before logging my first week of ownership certainly detracts from the 'new car experience'.

However, objectively speaking, should a replacement transmission be the outcome it's still a new car, still covered by factory warranty, still essentially the same car I bought. Also, that option may put me behind the wheel of a new car much faster than any other option.

One could argue that factory QC was lax on my car, and that other problems might have been overlooked. However, it's probably more likely, statistically speaking, that the odds of another problem are lower on my car. QC, in my experience, rarely fails across the board on a single unit.

If there were really big issues with this transmission in general, we would know by now. We'd have multiple instances of problems announced on this site. I'm not worried about it. Hope you get your situation resolved soon. If it takes longer ask for a blower. :cheers:
^ This, agreed. In fact, that's the very reason I wasn't, initially, concerned overmuch that I was looking at a transmission issue. But, as these things can go, my car's transmission (evidently) is the boundary case among most of the MT82s that have rolled off the line in the 6Gs. In hindsight, mine was leaking fluid out of the transmission top vent from day one. Pretty difficult to miss. So if it was common, like you said, there would be plenty of other threads on here about it. The only caveat is whether Ford made a slight change to the MT82, which is only now hitting the market. Seems unlikely, though.

15s550

My 1st Domestic V8!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT MT82 on 20's with 3.55's
Model - GT Premium
Miles - 650 in 2 weeks
Median Temperature - 70
Grinds - None
Thuds - None

Other - I still have my 2004 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed with 206K original miles, and it is the best manual tranny I've ever shifted. It's a trip driving my Mustang then getting into my Accord. The MT82 is beefy and short to shift. The Accord manual is like hot knife going thru butter. I've been shifting the MT82 up to 3K and occasionally up to 4K. Once I get 1K miles, I'll open it up a little more. I'm happy with it so far. No complaints.

Doinworqson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 black GT PP
Model - GT PP
Miles - 600
Median Temperature - 50-80's Fahrenheit
Grinds - none
Thuds - 1 > 2 > 3 gears, none while rev matching and downshifting
Other -Feel the gears kinda grab from 3rd to 4th when moving into gear slowly.. never felt that on any prior stick shift cars.. also theres transmission wine and in 1st and 2nd gear it whines but when engage the clutch it has a more distinct sound.. hard to describe but it sounds as if something is spinning, never heard it before in any prior stick sift cars when engaging the clutch.

I would also like to note i went back to the dealership about this and sat in another GT PP and tested for the thud, was in it aswell so... also the dealer said its normal. not sure if they just bsing tho lol
Sponsored

Last edited: