Sponsored

Horsepower Numbers Question

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red
Yes that is a custom dyno tune...I'm already looking at 3k for the set-up I'm going for, including installation.

Every dollar counts from now on :lol:
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Regarding power ratings: You will commonly see ratings in BHP, which stands for "Brake Horse Power". The "Brake" refers to an engine brake, also called an engine dyno. So, if you see BHP, you know they are rating power as measured directly off the engine crankshaft (what many have called "crank" horsepower above). So, BHP = engine power.

Once the car is built and you start modding, you typically measure power on a chassis dyno, at the wheels. So you'll see people talking about Wheel Horse Power (or WHP). Since Mustangs are rear wheel drive, people will often say RWHP (Rear Wheel Horse Power).

Mostly just wanted to point out that BHP is equivalent to what many have called "crank HP".

Regarding tunes, you might want to see if you can get a deal from a shop who sells all of the components you are interested in. Often they will have a pre-made tune based on those components. Would probably be more conservative than a custom tune, but also might be done by someone with more experience with these cars.

-T

Mikeg4572

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GTPP
Show us one

I have been seeing where the X4 programmer is grenading engines. Say goodbye to your Coyote.
Can you show even one example?

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MT, Explorer ST
Yes that is a custom dyno tune...I'm already looking at 3k for the set-up I'm going for, including installation.

Every dollar counts from now on :lol:
3k??? 800 for the JLT and tune I'd hope. $1200 for the exhaust. Man save some bucks and have a friend help install. Just watch YouTube videos.

Sponsored

50THPONY

Mustang Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
1988, 2004, 2015 Mustang GT's
I've been seeing heavy rainstorms and erratic weather patterns, end of times!

I have been seeing where the X4 programmer is grenading engines. Say goodbye to your Coyote.

Supa LA

Drop a gear and disappear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic Mustang GT PP

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red
You can do it man, it's tedious but not.horrible
Hahaha I really wish I could...I'm a complete noob to modding cars. I bought my first car in 08 nissan altima coupe (high school) hahaha no issues ever, so never learned how to install these or fix things. Waited for the right time to upgrade and got this mustang...I can probably do the intake, need to watch some vids lol

I worked at Pepboys for my first couple years of college and learned the basics on cars.

If you lived in southern Cali, I would pay you to show me how:cheers:

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
So I've ordered the JLT Cold Air, the SCT X4 Programmer and the Borla S Type Cat Back. What kinda HP can I expect from this set up?
With 435hp stock will I be close to 470hp?
Any help would be appreciated. :ford:
A good tune will net you about 30 hp at the flywheel. CAI is only worth a couple of hp, as is the cat back, so 35 hp gain at the flywheel is about right for the mods you've planned.

While the cat back doesn't really add noticeable power, it sounds great. And, while the CAI doesn't really add noticeable power either, it looks great and you can hear some wonderful intake noise.

Sponsored

The Guardian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Guard GT
Have CAI only been showing gains of a few HP forever or is the 2015 airbox designed that well? I agree that they look and sound great, but for functionality wouldn't a K&N drop in filter do just as well?

Jewishthunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Magnetic GTPP
Lol, the x4 is just a tuning box, what are you talking about?

So I've ordered the JLT Cold Air, the SCT X4 Programmer and the Borla S Type Cat Back. What kinda HP can I expect from this set up?
With 435hp stock will I be close to 470hp?
Any help would be appreciated. :ford:
You can't expect to just add the hp expected in advertisements, and add that to the crank hp. Only way to get it done is a dyno before and after to measure the change. Nothing else matters.

Can you show even one example?
Seriously.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Have CAI only been showing gains of a few HP forever or is the 2015 airbox designed that well? I agree that they look and sound great, but for functionality wouldn't a K&N drop in filter do just as well?
Thats the question of the day, however, the tube and the throttle body is still restricted. I m no car expert but, increasing the diameter of the intake tube, smoothing out the elbow, paired with a better throttle body might give you some good results.

You would also need to suck in real cold air from the outside preferably with a scoop close to the ground where the real cold air is cause heat rises, and use thermal sheeted tube and box material to prevent heat transfer from the engine bay.

On top of all this a good tune will be and highly required. Cheers!

Br725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Prem/PP/ruby red/premier int.
I think it might be best if you learn a little more about mechanical/performance modifications (like you asking questions like this and reading things on this and other reputable websites) and then once you have an idea of what you want to accomplish, (a drag strip roasting straight liner or a canyon carving scalpel of a car, a fun daily driver or an all out powerhouse, or an in between of anything mentioned) then start shopping for parts that push you to where you want to be, and parts that compliment each other. That way you don't blow 350 on a CAI and a few months later decide you want to supercharge the car. Same with tunes or whatever else.

You'll pick things up quick, it's pretty simple once you get the basics of HP and building a car, especially with so many resources and information outlets.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Is it only me that doesn't understand voiding your engine warranty for just 30hp ? Supercharger is a different story, but a tune ?
Sponsored