Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Antigravity ATX-20HD. Same battery I used for the last couple years. Mine has been solid and I've even used it for random tasks around the house - like running small 12v pumps and stuff. It's great.

IMG_1428(1).JPG

RE: fuel tank, it will help with weight distribution and get me closer to 50/50. Downside is that it's behind the rear wheels, which will make lift off oversteer a bit more pronounced
And no electrical issues with the ATX-20? No magride failures or loss of power steering? I know you said you are looking at Cortex Coil overs, but are (were) you on the stock suspension controller too?

Asking for a friend who is having electrical issues, is trying to chase them down, and runs the same lithium battery. :wink:

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
You mean it'll be like the offspring of a GT350 and 911 GT3! Sounds awesome. Always enjoy seeing the progress!
My goal is for the car to ultimately land somewhere between a Mustang GT4 and a Mustang GT3 - not sure how close I'll get. But will definitely take personal offense if I fail to be faster than a gt4 ha

And no electrical issues with the ATX-20? No magride failures or loss of power steering? I know you said you are looking at Cortex Coil overs, but are (were) you on the stock suspension controller too?

Asking for a friend who is having electrical issues, is trying to chase them down, and runs the same lithium battery. :wink:
None. I was running a kill switch, tho. So the battery never sat connected to the system for extended periods of time. Doubt that would cause an issue, though. It's been very reliable for me. I did wreck a YTX model by over discharging it tho. This new ATX-20HD has circuitry to prevent over discharge. It's great.

This version of the car won't have any factory stuff left - no OEM body modules/harnesses, magneride, etc.

What type of issues is your friend having?

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
My goal is for the car to ultimately land somewhere between a Mustang GT4 and a Mustang GT3 - not sure how close I'll get. But will definitely take personal offense if I fail to be faster than a gt4 ha

None. I was running a kill switch, tho. So the battery never sat connected to the system for extended periods of time. Doubt that would cause an issue, though. It's been very reliable for me. I did wreck a YTX model by over discharging it tho. This new ATX-20HD has circuitry to prevent over discharge. It's great.

This version of the car won't have any factory stuff left - no OEM body modules/harnesses, magneride, etc.

What type of issues is your friend having?
I have a DSC tuner for my suspension. After engaging the ABS, or threshold braking, the suspension goes into limp home mode, full soft. Shut car off, turn back on, it works until the next time.

Either not enough battery or DSC needs a reboot. We will find out next weekend.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I have a DSC tuner for my suspension. After engaging the ABS, or threshold braking, the suspension goes into limp home mode, full soft. Shut car off, turn back on, it works until the next time.

Either not enough battery or DSC needs a reboot. We will find out next weekend.
Have you checked the magneride sensors to make sure they're secure and fully plugged in? I had a loose sensor (bolt on the chassis came loose) that caused very similar problems

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Have you checked the magneride sensors to make sure they're secure and fully plugged in? I had a loose sensor (bolt on the chassis came loose) that caused very similar problems
Yes, along with the ABS and the mag ride connections to the dampers themselves. I did find a rear ride height sensor loose, but it didn't fix the issue. I've gone through every connection, looked at every pin, all good. Also, I can plug in the factory controller and don't get the issue. So it's either the DSC, the tune, or the power supply. And based on several other guys inputs, I'm leaning towards power issue.

Will get it figured. But appreciate the feedback on your lithium battery. Always nice to have another data point. I am keeping mine in case it's not the the battery.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
A much anticipated item showed up today from Mr Hartman. Going to be a little before I can really start to mock it up because I am waiting on the Penskes to get the car on the ground, but definitely excited.

IMG_1434.JPG
IMG_1431.JPG

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Justed wanted to update that I've got my aftermarket setup installed. Actual install was pretty easy and straightforward once I got the parts list together. Thanks to a gent over on TMO for the lead on sweet manufacturing, I was able to assemb a kit from Pit Stop for about $650 all in. Much less than the Wilwood kit.

Sweet manufacturing column saves over 15lbs compared to OEM. Only reuses OEM EPAS and the ujoint that connects the shaft to the steering rack. Steering rack structure start at the top is sweet manufacturing adjustable steering column to adapter (spline to smooth 3/4 DOM tubing) to 3/4 DOM tubing through firewall flange bearing to u joint. U Joint adapter 3/4 tubing to DD rod. DD rod at OEM ujoint needs to be modified to fit - basically ground flat on one side and then recess for bolt on the other.

IMG_1451.jpeg
IMG_1452.jpeg
IMG_1453.jpeg
IMG_1460.jpeg
IMG_1461.jpeg

Here's my Pit Stop parts list:

Sweet 1-Hole Black Aluminum Column Clamp
Sweet 1-Hole Black Aluminum Column Clamp
SKU: SWE405-10205
Quantity: 1
Final Price: $24.97
Sweet 6-3/8 Black Aluminum Dash Bracket - (Pair)
Sweet 6-3/8" Black Aluminum Dash Bracket - (Pair)
SKU: SWE405-10215
Final Price: $93.97
Sweet Firewall Flange Bearing
Sweet Firewall Flange Bearing
SKU: SWE405-50003
Final Price: $31.97
Allstar Performance Seamless D.O.M. Steering Shaft - 5 Ft. Length x 3/4
Allstar Performance Seamless D.O.M. Steering Shaft - 5 Ft. Length x 3/4"
SKU: ALL22190
Final Price: $27.99
Sweet Steering Coupler - 3/4- 20 Spline x 3/4 Smooth - Sweet Column, Woodward, Allstar
Sweet Steering Coupler - 3/4"- 20 Spline x 3/4" Smooth - Sweet Column, Woodward, Allstar
SKU: SWE301-30160
Final Price: $13.97
ididit Shaft 3/4 DD - 18
ididit Shaft 3/4 DD - 18"
SKU: IDI3000409418
Final Price: $36.00
Sweet 18 Collapsible Steering Column
Sweet 18" Collapsible Steering Column
SKU: SWE405-10001
Final Price: $290.97
Sweet Steering Universal Joint 3/4 DD x 3/4 Smooth
Sweet Steering Universal Joint 3/4" DD x 3/4 Smooth
SKU: SWE401-50619
Final Price: $74.97

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Justed wanted to update that I've got my aftermarket setup installed. Actual install was pretty easy and straightforward once I got the parts list together. Thanks to a gent over on TMO for the lead on sweet manufacturing, I was able to assemb a kit from Pit Stop for about $650 all in. Much less than the Wilwood kit.

Sweet manufacturing column saves over 15lbs compared to OEM. Only reuses OEM EPAS and the ujoint that connects the shaft to the steering rack. Steering rack structure start at the top is sweet manufacturing adjustable steering column to adapter (spline to smooth 3/4 DOM tubing) to 3/4 DOM tubing through firewall flange bearing to u joint. U Joint adapter 3/4 tubing to DD rod. DD rod at OEM ujoint needs to be modified to fit - basically ground flat on one side and then recess for bolt on the other.

IMG_1451.jpeg

Here's my Pit Stop parts list:

Sweet 18 Collapsible Steering Column
Sweet 18" Collapsible Steering Column
SKU: SWE405-10001
Final Price: $290.97
Is the bellows where the column can collapse in the unfortunate event of a crash? Interesting that they place it there instead of between the U-Joints. Looks really sweet (no pun intended)!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Is the bellows where the column can collapse in the unfortunate event of a crash? Interesting that they place it there instead of between the U-Joints. Looks really sweet (no pun intended)!
Plays two parts. One - allows some adjustability on depth. Just loosen the bolt on the collar and you can slide the column forward or back. Second, is it will collapse in the event of a crash. But the two universal joints in the engine bay will also help with that. They will shear in a bad crash

JBG0137

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 1965 Mustang Fastback, 2019 GT350r
Are you perfectly removing the E brake system?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Are you perfectly removing the E brake system?
Yep - removes about 17 lbs and I didn't want the risk of warping rotors by accidentally using it while hot. Will rely on a combo of the trans and air jacks to keep from rolling. And the occasional 2x4

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Yep - removes about 17 lbs and I didn't want the risk of warping rotors by accidentally using it while hot. Will rely on a combo of the trans and air jacks to keep from rolling. And the occasional 2x4
Sequential gear box and air jacks. Ok.

You have to be so excited about this car! I am, and this is as close as I may ever get to it! Thanks for sharing the journey. 😎

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Sequential gear box and air jacks. Ok.

You have to be so excited about this car! I am, and this is as close as I may ever get to it! Thanks for sharing the journey. 😎
I'm pretty excited about it. It'll be more than a GT4 (more aero and more power) and less than GT3 (far less R&D and less aero). Obviously the factory cars have higher quality parts and more R&D, but I'm hoping this car is about as far as a normal person can take it in their own home garage. And some of the parts are just pure race car and it's going to be so metal (air jacks, sequential, Dailey Dry Sump, etc)