Sponsored

HELLION BOOSTS THE WORLDS MOST POWERFUL GT350!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckty101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Shadow Black
My point is turbos make more efficient power by not robbing crank hp to turn them. Blowers need a belt as you know and that takes away power to turn them. On a top fuel supercharger it takes approximately 750 crank hp to turn the blower. I know that's a different subject but it's an example.
Blowers also need extra fuel to cool the combustion and heat.
Also you don't get the nice whinning sound of a Supercharger going down the road.
Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
well thats another 15k in mods so yes i would hope so
When that remainder is a watson suspension and and trans, not engine or turbos thats not that impressive on the gt350s part. Infact only 24k of it is engine and turbos. My biggest point which looking back wasnt made clear is that the owner of this car has more cash then sense and could have gotten this power much cheaper and still been reliable.

I think the gt350 is best off not going after 4 digit hp. Thats just not what the car is about. Infact i think more then 700whp is too much for this cars intended purpose.

Also you don't get the nice whinning sound of a Supercharger going down the road.
Not everyone likes PD blowers sound. Myself being one of them

DBMANN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15gtpp,13gtr,13cummins,04 class 7100 tacoma
Why would anyone do this with a gt350R ? It destroys the whole purpose of the car(bye bye handling)and destroys resale value. Oh well to each his own.

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
Why would anyone do this with a gt350R ? It destroys the whole purpose of the car(bye bye handling)and destroys resale value. Oh well to each his own.
Yes, please tell me how turbos ruin all those race cars. Man Audi sure got it wrong all those years it ran a turbodiesel to win the 24hrs of Lemans.

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
Yes, please tell me how turbos ruin all those race cars. Man Audi sure got it wrong all those years it ran a turbodiesel to win the 24hrs of Lemans.
Because mustangs with forced induction tend to overhead and cant last track sessions. There is a reason the boss 302 ang gt350 are n/a

Sponsored

DBMANN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15gtpp,13gtr,13cummins,04 class 7100 tacoma
First off I'm talking specifically about a factory gt350r,
Your comparing a gt350r to an LMP car LOL.

Lexluther

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350
It gets old I put the stock intake back in my Hellcat ppl thought either its was a siren or transmission going out that with a black hood who ever didn't know that it was a POS. I rather have turbos more efficient power can run lower boost for same hp and boost controller lets you dial up and down the boost on demand. Hellion dumps boost back into the exhaust so stealthier when you run it on the street. You can hear my blower coming on at 2k rpm so I'm not fooling anyone. There is a reason boats don't run blown and use turbos except speed boats but those are going back to turbos and that reason is gas its sucks a lot of it. Efficiency matters Hellcat goes through a tank of gas 19gal. in 20min at top speed Hennessy proved it. That said I get better gas mileage in my Hellcat compared to my GT350 about 2-4mpg and thats mainly due to the fact I idle everywhere its got so much torque I hit 15mph just letting off the brake. I get on the gas and I loose a 1/2 tank.

Lexluther

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350

Lexluther

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350
We have been waiting to tell you guys about this awesome project we have been working on, but the article is now out---- Click the link below, its a must read!

http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories...oosts-the-worlds-most-powerful-shelby-gt350r/
Question: The p/n for the Mcleod is the RXT and not the HD version. If I'm not mistaken Billie at Mcleod said they rate at the flywheel so the reg RXT is rated at 1000hp at the flywheel and your making just over at the wheels? Wouldn't an HD RXT have been a better choice with the 14-16% drivetrain loss your still below the 1200hp the HD RXT can handle?

I ask because I was calling you about this kit working with Terry @ Beefcake. I'm 2wks into swapping the HD clutch for the reg RXT as support mod since my trans blew out and dealer was doing it anyways. Did I make a mistake sending back the HD? The difference was the RXT uses the same pressure on the fingers as stock and the HD is 10% more with the same disc material between HD and RXT.

Secondly is the article stating the rotating assembly wasn't balanced out after swapping rods and pistons due to matching factory parts weight? If so thats amazing since it cuts out a lot of work sending the block out via truck freight back and forth and the time consumed. This is what put the brakes on for me, MMR was at 8k with my cores for a long block rated to 1000hp. Rods and piston are 1000-1500 and the engine isn't completely disassembled and can stay local can that be true? Are the factory rods and pistons all 8 of each balanced out exactly to each other so new assembles can be done the same and swapped in?

Lastly did you retain the stock oil squirters for the pistons? MMR doesn't use them on forged pistons and there was no mention in the article on the Aria's.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would go with the ProCharger supercharger over the Hellion Turbos any day of the week.
I would prefer to avoid adding the belt load to the end of the crank on the Voodoo. I think turbos would be a better fit for the Voodoo engine. Also, Hellion has a great reputation for making high quality parts. I know procharger is a good company as well, but in the end I just prefer turbos over a blower, especially for a high rpm engine.

Learn something new I guess. The compression stroke would create more pressure closing the valve then the boost is exerting on the back of the valve.. Not to mention somewhere else valve is opening in a cyclinder on the down stroke.

So what's the concern the pressure blowing open closed valves?

Not being dense but having a hard time seeing it. I've upgraded valve spring to run higher lift cam on a turbo car
I'm by no means any kind of expert but here's the way I understand it. Valve springs are set up to control the motion of the valve. Ideally when you design a valve spring you optimize it for the application so that it isn't putting excessive pressure on the cam or other valve train parts - and it doesn't slam the valve shut against the seat harder than necessary. I have no idea what kind of safety margin is used during valve spring design, but I would assume it's kept relatively low so components aren't worn out prematurely. Also, excessive spring pressure means more friction inside the engine, which I would also assume they are trying to avoid.

There are all kinds of complex harmonic vibrations going through the valve springs during engine operation, especially at high rpm. You may or may not want to maintain contact between all components of the valve train during the motion of the valve.

All this means that any significant change to the forces acting on the valve (such as 20 psi rather than 14.7 intake pressure) can impact the movement of the valve. Even low boost could potentially cause an issue. How to figure out when there might be a problem? I would assume software would be needed to model the spring and valve train dynamics and determine that. But just consider that even 5 pounds of boost is a significant difference from standard atmospheric pressure.

My opinion is that the boost wouldn't "blow open" a valve. Rather, it would make a slight change in the acceleration/velocity of the valve and potentially cause it to close just a little slower or to bounce on the seat. The idea is to make sure the valve and piston never end up occupying the same space!

Sponsored

chuckty101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Shadow Black
I prefer Procharger system, about 25lbs lighter on the nose of the GT350, with no modification to the exhaust system, a very simple intallation, plus a very safe 6psi for 800hp.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
I would go with the ProCharger supercharger over the Hellion Turbos any day of the week.
ProCharger system with 6psi

How about up to 150+ or more REAR WHEEL HP right out of the gate with just 6psi of boost and pump gas? That's a pump gas friendly gain of over 175hp at the crankshaft on low boost! The ProCharger GT350 Mustang supercharger system comes 100% complete down to the ECM/PCM programing included, with NO permanent modifications to your Shelby. That's correct, you can enjoy all that power without cutting, drilling, bending, or any other modification to this wonderful Shelby Mustang.
I prefer Procharger system, about 25lbs lighter on the nose of the GT350, with no modification to the exhaust system, a very simple intallation, plus a very safe 6psi for 800hp.
Ya... we know, you may have mentioned it already :lol:

I hope you are getting some residuals from procharger!

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
You sound like a procharger salesman.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Yeah well the procharger isn't making 1000+ rwhp. And you can also turbo the voodoo with less boost and still keep the stock internals. Turbos are the way to go. Ask ford.
Ford hasn't used a certifical supercharger since the 60s.
Not to mention, superchargers rob power to operate. Turbos don't.
I know turbos are much less parasitic however there is still a certain amount of back pressure created at the low RPM range prior to positive boost. This is one reason I would be more interested in the Boost Works kit that designed their own manifolds. Unless I missed it Helion just used the stock.

Lexluther

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350
I know turbos are much less parasitic however there is still a certain amount of back pressure created at the low RPM range prior to positive boost. This is one reason I would be more interested in the Boost Works kit that designed their own manifolds. Unless I missed it Helion just used the stock.

Hellion does supply an S197 left side header for their GT kit. When I asked them about the exhaust manifolds and that shorty GT 4-1's could be used since this is a turbo application for the GT350 they said they tested different headers and designs and there was no gains since the 55's turbos are so efficent. They could of included some GT headers in their kit since they already supply one side for the GT kit instead of redesigning and have to fabricate a whole different set of hot pipes for the GT350 but they choose the latter.

I have some question I posted as well and I really wish Hellion would comment on this tread and no go dark.

I've been closely reading boost works kit but its stalled out since sept of last year. They were looking for a development car and then went out and bought one and it ended there.. But if you go to their website is says now shipping so not sure why they didn't update their customer base regarding the outcome and development details. On the website turbo kit details it says quote "Pair / 304 Stainless 4-1 tubular turbo manifolds *NOW STANDARD! " and there are no other options offered.

It looks like boost works kit has a shorter path to spool the turbos but than longer one for the intake suction side. Hellion is the opposite and both use different turbos because of it with boost works being larger 58mm. Not sure the turbo requirements hot and cold side on the length from one to the other and boost works again hasn't updated so no clue on numbers to compare the two. So its all subjective without an apples to apples comparison. Both cars were shooting for 1000 wheel hp and built lower.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63174&page=2

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62541
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.