Sponsored

Has anyone given thought to this monumental change that’s about to occur? In less than 2 years…

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I hate to mention this, but way back in 2003 I asked the same question at a Toyota Dealership when the Prius first came out. I was debating about purchasing a Matrix or a Prius and when the salesperson said, "with the Prius, just make sure that you trade it before the 100,000 mile mark". Of course I inquired as to why, and he said, "because the battery pack replacement will set you back about $20,000!
Hello; Had a similar conversation a year or so earlier. I bought a Nissan Sentra with the SER running gear. The correct call for the time.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
what could possibly go wrong with these certifiable lunatics in charge...

">That could well mean issuing a Flex Alert, a statewide request for customers to voluntarily reduce energy consumption from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. Those are the hours when California’s grid is under the most pressure because production from solar decreases and eventually disappears in the evening hours — but the weather is still hot and energy demand remains high because people are still consuming electricity.

“Automakers will have to gradually electrify their fleet of new vehicles, beginning with 35% of 2026 models sold, increasing to 68% in 2030 and 100% for 2035 models. As of this year, about 16% of all new car sales in California are zero-emission vehicles,

I'm sure all the domestic power generation is all lined up and nobody will be inconvenienced by 10x increase in prices... I need to get myself some of those Unicorn Farts Sacramento has been inhaling.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
1662048530296.png

Last edited:

Sponsored

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Some weeks or months ago a link was posted about the cost to charge an EV at commercial units. It worked out to be more expensive than an ICE at the time. The only way to be ahead with an EV appears to be to charge at a home unit the greater majority of the time. Not clear how long to recoup the cost of an installed fast charger at home.
The chargers are said to be less than $1000 but instillation costs can be many thousands more for some. Folks in apartments and such may not have the home charge option at all.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Hello; Some weeks or months ago a link was posted about the cost to charge an EV at commercial units. It worked out to be more expensive than an ICE at the time. The only way to be ahead with an EV appears to be to charge at a home unit the greater majority of the time. Not clear how long to recoup the cost of an installed fast charger at home.
The chargers are said to be less than $1000 but instillation costs can be many thousands more for some. Folks in apartments and such may not have the home charge option at all.
I also saw where a person posted Ford Cost to replace EV batteries was $30K

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
#11: house insurance will be increased as well due to increase risk of fire.
yup, so much for saving at GEICO when you combine house and car insurance...

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I also saw where a person posted Ford Cost to replace EV batteries was $30K
Hello; Back in 2001 i looked at the two hybrids on sale back then. Honda and Toyota. I went to the parts manager to see what a battery pack might cost. They were not sure as the whole thing was new at the time. I did some checking and found a cost of maybe $2000 to $3000. Keep in mind the battery pack is smaller in a hybrid.
Turne out the batteries lasted well in the hybrids as the electronics kept them in a sweet range of charge. So, my concern turned out to not be as critical. Such is not the case in a pure EV.

The EV battery pack will be subject to harsher conditions. Deep draw downs. Charged to near 100% a lot. Fast draw downs and some fast charging. Maybe a lot of fast charging. It is my take the batteries will have a steady break down of capacity over time to the point of lost range. Currently old packs are suggested as storage in homes.

The cost of battery packs will be the problem as EV's get some years on them. This is a reason why an EV needs to be much cheaper to make sense. Wear out a battery pack and dispose of the EV. Not spend 20 to 30 K for a battery pack in a ten+ year old car.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Colorado utility company locks 22,000 thermostats in 90 degree weather due to 'energy emergency' (msn.com)

Hello; Not sure if it was in this thread but weeks ago there was a dispute about "smart" thermostats being controlled remotely by a power company. This link is about a voluntary program. But yes Virginia, they can lock you out of your thermostat.
Note- I do not use my central air much. So far this summer maybe five nights. I usually set mine to 80 degrees F for a few hours and down to 78 when i go to bed or run a ceiling fan over the bed. I usually turn off the AC the next morning as i will be outside a lot.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Shooting victim targeted because he was charging electric vehicle: court docs (msn.com)

Hello; Strange story this. Not clear to me how the title is actually justified. In the story the guess appears to be because the shooter figured the guy charging an EV had money. Does not follow in that my guess is a credit card is used at a charger. Not sure if this fits as a negative of having an EV? Probably not since folks are robbed at gas stations.