Sponsored

Has anyone given thought to this monumental change that’s about to occur? In less than 2 years…

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The Corvette and Mustang will be the only performance vehicles of any type still being produced under $100k that offer a V8 engine. The Mustang will be the only production vehicle in the world that will offer a V8 engine and manual transmission. If you’ve been pretending this could never become reality, we are exceptionally close to the end of all V8 performance vehicles. With all ICE powered performance vehicles facing an end date soon after.

When it’s all said and done, will you continue to purchase performance vehicles every 2-5 years but former models you always wanted to own? Keep your favorite performance vehicle and drive it for the next 30 years? Conform with the times and get a performance oriented EV?

We’re in the business of obsessively reporting on muscle cars (and trucks!), so we’ve made it our mission to infiltrate our intelligence deep into any automaker that dares build them. In doing so, we were first to alert the world *checks notes* that the original seventh-generation Camaro plans were a casualty of a GM restructuring, as were the sixth-generation Z/28 and its special engine. We were first to tell the world of *checks notes* an electric Dodge muscle car coming. And we’ve only been around for *checks notes* two years. Not like it’s hard. So today, we’re here to tell you everything we know about the upcoming S650 Ford Mustang.

Out of the gate, the 2023 Ford Mustang will have a familiar stable of powertrains, before a refresh in a few years that will add hybrid electrification. This means that a 2.3L EcoBoost turbo four and 5.0L Coyote V8 at the start, with the 755 hp 5.2L supercharged Predator V8 to follow. We don’t expect the 5.2L flat-plane crank Voodoo V8 to re-emerge after the discontinuation of the Mustang Shelby GT350 and GT350R.

The S650 Mustang will be the last ICE muscle car standing. Our sources described the lifecycle of the S650 Mustang as one that will be the finish of a long bridge towards electrification. In other words, Ford Motor Company will “sweat the asset” and it will have a long lifecycle; eight years, in fact. Just like the S550, which entered the fray in 2014. Some analysts pin the electric Ford Mustang to emerge by 2028, but 2030 seems like the more likely outcome. The end of the decade feels far enough away, but the clock is ticking in what feels like a speed run mode. When that time approaches, the last of the internal combustion engine muscle cars will have rolled off the assembly line.

General Motors and its “All Electric Future” has the Camaro as we know it reportedly giving way to an electric performance sedan. Across town, the new French overlords pulling the strings at Dodge have the brand completely rethinking the Charger and Challenger formula, as electric vehicles. By 2024, it’s an extreme likelihood that the S650 Ford Mustang will be the last American muscle car with an internal combustion engine. This makes us recall the sage words of Ferdinand Porsche, which say that “the last car built on earth will surely be a sports car.” In this case, the last V8 muscle car will be a Ford Mustang.
https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com...e-details-on-the-last-v8-muscle-car-standing/
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Cadillac takes exception to your simplistic and incomplete world-view. As well Mopar strenuously objects. The notion of EV taking over all performance will blow up spectacularly in the companies' and EV sycophants' faces.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
When the EV's are using fuel cells instead of batteries they will become attractive. I'll probably keep some form of v8 till I die. Even if I have to make a still to run it.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
This only goes back as far as the 60's as that is all I was there for, maybe others can add more to this tale.

When emissions controls required PVC in the early 60's we knew it was The End.

When emissions controls required air injection pumps in the late 60's we knew it was The End.

When compression ratios had to drop in the early 70's we knew it was The End.

When the fuel shortage crisis hit in the early 70's and octane dropped it was clearly The end.

But when leaded gas was phased out and catalytic converters were required in the late 70's we knew it was *really* The End.

When electronically controlled carburetors and later fuel injection were required to meet emissions we knew...

When computers controlled fuel, spark, and transmissions, well ...

Manual transmissions are disappearing, of course it is The End.

But electric cars, if that isn't THE END then what is?

Nothing, that's what. It has never been the end and it won't be this time. Maybe some day all cars will be electric autonomous appliances but it is not likely any of us will see that day. So excuse me while I take my Mustang to redline just for the fun of it because with a 5.0 V8 that can make 460 HP yet run on 87 octane (at slightly reduced power) and produces few emissions while getting 25+ MPG this is not the end, these are the good days!

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Meh, I already own cars that are 35-45 years old, So driving cars that are not new isn't an ussie.
That said, Honestly, there is no NEED for a v8 anymore.
I mean you don't even have to look past the blue oval. to find 500hp + turbo'd v6's.
I love the sound of a v8 as much as most, but If keeping performance ice powered vehicle avail. new requires a move to turbo'd 6 or 4's. I'm fine with that.
Fact is, most that hate the idea of ev's, EVEN ME. will learn to love them as a performance vehicle, As they will stomp on almost every ice powered car and leave it in the dust. They might not have much range driven that way, but that one stop light to stop light drag that leaves the mighty v8 with it's tail between it's legs, will leave a mark , and people don't like to lose.
I'll always own a v8 car, but for many that buy off the vehicle stats, so they can pound on chest and say my car goes 0-60 in 2.9 seconds (c8 base). will buy an ev if it can do it in 2.5 seconds.
Ev's are not going to kill off the ice. but even if ev's were not even a thing, v8's in cars days were numbered.
ONLY way v8's in AMERICAN performance cars lives on, is if the oem's build a 2.0 to 2.5ltr v8 and hang hairdriers off it.
The large C.I.D. v8 is on death row.

Sponsored

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Give me a naturally aspirated V8 or give me death. I'm probably not alone here. I wanna rifle through the gears of a high revving sideways mustang. I want the cold start to blow back my hair. Phasing out the IC engine too early may be a trend many car makers regret making.

OP
OP
AlmostFamous

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Cadillac takes exception to your simplistic and incomplete world-view. As well Mopar strenuously objects. The notion of EV taking over all performance will blow up spectacularly in the companies' and EV sycophants' faces.
The Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing will be a magnificent V8 powered vehicle to buy until it’s the retired as a 2023 or 2024 model. Just like the Challenger and Charger until they are retired in the next 2 years.

There will still be a couple V8 performance vehicles left in the $100-150k range and a decent range of V8 powered super cars that will soldier on 2024 and beyond.

OP
OP
AlmostFamous

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
This only goes back as far as the 60's as that is all I was there for, maybe others can add more to this tale.

When emissions controls required PVC in the early 60's we knew it was The End.

When emissions controls required air injection pumps in the late 60's we knew it was The End.

When compression ratios had to drop in the early 70's we knew it was The End.

When the fuel shortage crisis hit in the early 70's and octane dropped it was clearly The end.

But when leaded gas was phased out and catalytic converters were required in the late 70's we knew it was *really* The End.

When electronically controlled carburetors and later fuel injection were required to meet emissions we knew...

When computers controlled fuel, spark, and transmissions, well ...

Manual transmissions are disappearing, of course it is The End.

But electric cars, if that isn't THE END then what is?

Nothing, that's what. It has never been the end and it won't be this time. Maybe some day all cars will be electric autonomous appliances but it is not likely any of us will see that day. So excuse me while I take my Mustang to redline just for the fun of it because with a 5.0 V8 that can make 460 HP yet run on 87 octane (at slightly reduced power) and produces few emissions while getting 25+ MPG this is not the end, these are the good days!
What’s your response to following announcement by the company’s CEO? Not really going to happen?

Dodge to phase out its Challenger and Charger muscle cars in shift towards EVs
https://www.engadget.com/dodge-is-k...r-muscle-cars-in-favor-of-e-vs-085839976.html

Just an April fools joke?

2024 Chevy Camaro To Get Farewell Special-Edition Package
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/09/2024-chevy-camaro-to-get-farewell-special-edition-package/

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Plug in EV's will never be feasible in a mass scale. How many people live in cities and only have street parking with no designated spot.

Are we going to have 000 extension cords snaked all over the place.

Get into reality, ICE will be king till someone perfects a fuel cell.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I truly don't understand how smart people can get on this bus. It is not like going from horse to ICE, it's more like going from ICE to horse. You gotta feed it, find a place to tie it up, it can only go so far before you gotta rest and feed it.

Sounds like progress.

Wait,, it's about saving the planet :crazy: :clap:

OP
OP
AlmostFamous

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Plug in EV's will never be feasible in a mass scale. How many people live in cities and only have street parking with no designated spot.

Are we going to have 000 extension cords snaked all over the place.

Get into reality, ICE will be king till someone perfects a fuel cell.
This post was specifically regarding V8 performance vehicles, with the Mustang and Corvette being the last two standing 2 years from now, not the entire car market. There will be many ICE vehicles still being produced for quite awhile longer.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Ford and Mopar will still make big inch ICE because they sell like hotcakes. No amount of gov't jawboning is going to change the consumer's mind. Corps serve the consumer, not gov't masturbatory fantasies over a non-existent problem. If they need to they'll buy a few more Senate votes to silently sink The Stupid(tm).

OP
OP
AlmostFamous

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Ford and Mopar will still make big inch ICE because they sell like hotcakes. No amount of gov't jawboning is going to change the consumer's mind. Corps serve the consumer, not gov't masturbatory fantasies over a non-existent problem. If they need to they'll buy a few more Senate votes to silently sink The Stupid(tm).
If you were looking to buy a V8 sports car in 2024 and you’re only options were Mustang and Corvette, which model would you choose? Consider an EV performance as well? Buy a 1960-2020 model V8 sports car?

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
I have on order my last planned new vehicle purchase, a 2022 Handling Pack Mach 1 that I plan on keeping until I die or they take my drivers license away. The only electric vehicle I might ever purchase would be a golf cart.
Sponsored