Sponsored

Has anybody replaced mufflers?

slowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang A6 5.0
Anyone have any sound clips of just muffler swaps? I know most guys run axle backs and catbacks but I just can't justify spending a lot of money for just sound. I know there is cheaper axle backs but I have herd most of them and didn't like them very much.

With that said has anyone just swapped out mufflers and gotten good results? I have Longtube headers, no cats and X pipe currently. I'm look to go to something with no drone and raspy when you deck it. These caught my eye!

http://www.dynomax.com/sounds-of-dynomax/?muffler=ultra-flo-ss-polished-muffler

I know this isn't a mustang but you kind f get the idea!

Sponsored

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
ummm an axle back is a muffler swap. you'd still have to do something about hooking up the mufflers to the existing piping and add an exhaust tip along with fabricating hangers, etc. if you literally just cut off your existing mufflers and tried to fit something else in it's place.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have an Ecoboost that I cut off the stock mufflers and welded in Magnaflow mufflers, I also cut out the resonator and replaced it with a piece of straight pipe and a Y so essentially making my own cat back system.

I don't understand why this is not more common. A Magnaflow cat back system is around $1000, with the same mufflers as the system I did it myself for less than $200 and a couple of hours of my time. Even if you don't have a welder you should be able find a muffler shop that will do it for $100-$150.

I find it bordering on criminal the amount that the exhaust companies charge for exhaust systems.

Dave

Superfrg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Its always cheaper to make stuff yourself, but I find the prices for Mustang stuff to be really cheap.

A BMW exhaust for my former M6, which is a catback system was 9300 dollars !
I gave 3500 dollars for a set of mufflers...and they droned alot.

Yes that is not a typo.....there we can talk about milking it out.

Sponsored

Bobstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th Anniversary
Anyone have any sound clips of just muffler swaps? I know most guys run axle backs and catbacks but I just can't justify spending a lot of money for just sound. I know there is cheaper axle backs but I have herd most of them and didn't like them very much.

With that said has anyone just swapped out mufflers and gotten good results? I have Longtube headers, no cats and X pipe currently. I'm look to go to something with no drone and raspy when you deck it. These caught my eye!

http://www.dynomax.com/sounds-of-dynomax/?muffler=ultra-flo-ss-polished-muffler

I know this isn't a mustang but you kind f get the idea!

I installed the Gibson X-pipe with their exhaust and couldnt be happier with the results, people say it sounds a lot nastier and meaner with the new exhaust, my wife also said it scared her awake the first morning I left for the gym.

May look at headers later but for now, Im happy.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Its always cheaper to make stuff yourself, but I find the prices for Mustang stuff to be really cheap.

A BMW exhaust for my former M6, which is a catback system was 9300 dollars !
I gave 3500 dollars for a set of mufflers...and they droned alot.

Yes that is not a typo.....there we can talk about milking it out.
That's why I would never consider buying a BMW or a Mercedes or an Audi.

I bought a complete mandrel bent header back exhaust including a X pipe for my 68 Barracuda and it was less than $300.

Dave

JoshMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2003 Mach 1, 64.5 Coupe
Welded in some Magnaflow Magnapacks with 4" tips. I did the work myself and have less than $175 in it.

Jpjr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang V6 (traded)
Do you have a link to the tips you used

GDP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base Deep Impact
Had Flowmaster super 10s installed and even though I love it because racecar. I hate it because racecar and living in apartments. So I guess it's really my neighbors hate it but I love it. It does drone a lot though.

Reused my stock tips. Oh and I have a ford racing X pipe.

I have already complained about this but the prices of exhaust has skyrocketed despite cost of material being not much higher than a few years ago. I'm thinking too many bmw and higher end car owners have moved into the mustang market allowing companies to jack prices sky high.

Edit: actually apparently cost of steel has gone down last few years lol https://www.quandl.com/collections/markets/industrial-metals

Not but 5-8 years ago a full cat back would have only been about 500-800. $900 for a fking axle back is disgusting (looking at you corsa) and should be shunned. Even though good retailers/shops have deals for them I am loathe to support such business models of the brand.

No matter how good it sounds.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Xavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Welded in some Magnaflow Magnapacks with 4" tips. I did the work myself and have less than $175 in it.
Do you get any drone with this setup?

GDP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base Deep Impact
Im probably going to keep talking junk all the way up until I buy the damn things.
Sponsored