Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
There are two safe ways of doing it;

1. Schroth ASM quickfit

2. Rollbar, fixed back seat, 6 point harness, HANS device, and airbag delete.
What do you think about using a HANS device with the Scroth ASM and no roll bar?
Sponsored

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe
More importantly, does anyone have actual data proving that the ASM is safer than not having one?

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
"ASM stands for Anti-SubMarining. It's an extra flap of material sewn into the inboard shoulder belt that prevents you from sliding underneath the lap belt"

I know they have crash tested it.

But for me I wanted a 4 point belt I could use for HPDE (to hold me in the seat), the 4 point then meant I need a HANs. While I am concerned with safety I am not overly concerned past a certain point.

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
"ASM stands for Anti-SubMarining. It's an extra flap of material sewn into the inboard shoulder belt that prevents you from sliding underneath the lap belt"

I know they have crash tested it.

But for me I wanted a 4 point belt I could use for HPDE (to hold me in the seat), the 4 point then meant I need a HANs. While I am concerned with safety I am not overly concerned past a certain point.
Maybe I am reading into your post too much but it is worth clarifying as to not confuse others. 'But' at the beginning of your sentence reads as something you may have not intended.

Schroth ASM tech is proven and widely accepted for any HPDE event even further they are preferred by many instructors. They are also HANS compatible. If you are using a stock seat and 4pt harness please do yourself a favor and get one with ASM technology. The results of a serious frontal impact crash without it can be very nasty.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
To be clear the 4 point we are talking about has ASM and is HANs compatible

4 Point Removable Harness
Ideal for Track and Street Use
Compatible with a HANS Device
ASM - Anti SubMarining Technology
Works with Factory Seat Belt Receptacles
2" Wide Black Polyester Webbing
Fits All 2005-2017 Mustangs

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I have the Schroth 4 pt system in two of my cars. Works great to keep me in the seat and reminds me that I need to get a HANS device one of these days.
I don't drive hard enough to where I'm worried about a rollover. So that is not a factor For me. In fact, in my 2 decades of HPDE events, have never seen a rollover on the high speed track I run (TWS and COTA).

OP
OP
locknload

locknload

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I've read comments like, "I don't drive hard enough to worry about a rollover" and similar throughout this thread. Something to seriously consider is, it may not be "your" driving that causes your rollover. Other cars on the track could very well lose control and clip, rub, slide or slam into you causing the rollover. Just something else to think about.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I've read comments like, "I don't drive hard enough to worry about a rollover" and similar throughout this thread. Something to seriously consider is, it may not be "your" driving that causes your rollover. Other cars on the track could very well lose control and clip, rub, slide or slam into you causing the rollover. Just something else to think about.
Very true, but as [MENTION=24742]firestarter2[/MENTION] said there is a limit to what can be done for various reasons. I need my backseats and can't take them out for a roll bar. Especially only for 3-4 track days a year. It would obviously be ideal to do what you are suggesting, but I can't so I'll do what I can to increase safety.

This is possibly a really stupid question, but is there a way you can put in a roll bar just for the drivers seat a la the old open cockpit Cobras etc?

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Admittedly not an S550, but this shows that a modern Mustang that ends up on its lid at the track can suffer from a complete collapse of the roof structure. I wouldn't want my melon held upright by a harness when this happens.

Sponsored
OP
OP
locknload

locknload

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Very true, but as @firestarter2 said there is a limit to what can be done for various reasons. I need my backseats and can't take them out for a roll bar. Especially only for 3-4 track days a year. It would obviously be ideal to do what you are suggesting, but I can't so I'll do what I can to increase safety.

This is possibly a really stupid question, but is there a way you can put in a roll bar just for the drivers seat a la the old open cockpit Cobras etc?
Yep, I'm kinda in the same boat. I don't want to lose my back seat completely. While my kids, 11 and 13 years old, barely fit, they fit. That was yet another reason to sell the Cobra and buy the Shelby, bring the kids along places.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Admittedly not an S550, but this shows that a modern Mustang that ends up on its lid at the track can suffer from a complete collapse of the roof structure. I wouldn't want my melon held upright by a harness when this happens.

Don't track your car anything can happen. In fact at that point don't leave your house just in case. Where do you stop?

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP

This looks like a person who was racing... Why didn't they have a roll cage?
Like I said, for HPDEs, this is a rarity.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Yep, I'm kinda in the same boat. I don't want to lose my back seat completely. While my kids, 11 and 13 years old, barely fit, they fit. That was yet another reason to sell the Cobra and buy the Shelby, bring the kids along places.
Any idea as to the back story on this? Dead (most likely) or did they get lucky? Full on racing or HPDE?

Edit: Oops sorry, I responded to the wrong person. [MENTION=27830]Muligan[/MENTION]?

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
I have the Schroth 4 pt system in two of my cars. Works great to keep me in the seat and reminds me that I need to get a HANS device one of these days.
I don't drive hard enough to where I'm worried about a rollover. So that is not a factor For me. In fact, in my 2 decades of HPDE events, have never seen a rollover on the high speed track I run (TWS and COTA).
This video persuaded me that since I run a 4-point harness, I need a HANS device. Ordered mine the same day I watched the video for the first time.

[ame]
Sponsored