2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
Last edited:

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
This track rat, who has been SCCA licensed since 1993 and a NASA HPDE instructor since 2009, would never say to stay away from the track, but I will say that you should always prepare your car to an appropriate level of use and, when in doubt, a little extra safety equipment can be a good thing.

I've run my GT350 on track with absolutely no additional safety equipment and had no issue with the stock Recaro holding me in place. I did feel a bit out-of-place without my HANS, though. In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with running a car in a spirited manner on the track with completely stock equipment, including the standard restraint system. But, when you start introducing aftermarket safety components, like harnesses, without taking into account how they will work with the factory seat or in the absence of a roll hoop or cage, you start to throw variables that can make your track day more dangerous because of that added "safety" equipment.

For me, if I were to install a harness in my GT350, it'd also get fixed back seats and at least a four point roll hoop.

Call me a safety nerd, but here's the cage I'm putting into my '65 Mustang vintage racer, and it will be in conjunction with a six-point harness, containment seat (with halo), window net, and a HANS.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Between the Hans no Hans video, and the upside down S550, I'm as conflicted as ever.

It's a shame the Simpson 3 pt compatible hans is so expensive. Not that you can put a price on safety, but it's hard to justify over 1K for something I may decide isn't good enough after an event or two then need to buy "real" safety equipment.

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
Between the Hans no Hans video, and the upside down S550, I'm as conflicted as ever.
Give the guys at HMS Motorsports a call. They are very helpful at laying out the options or levels of safety then make a personal choice as to how far you wish to go. A HANS and 4 pt ASM is a great place to start. As Muligan said it is important to have the correct safety equipment and sometimes that means a combination of components. Such as my personal choice is that I will always run a HANS device when wearing a 4 pt harness or any harness for that matter. I bought one for my passenger as well.
Sponsored