Sponsored

GT350 FORScan Tweaks

Diana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT 350
Now I am really confused, 2 display pics are posted, the first shows axle temp as dashes the next shows temp as 72, both displays also show transmission temp. By Joe I think he nailed it!!
Sponsored

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
A temperature sensor reading is a resistance change, so there was a basic test done without the sensor. Adding a sensor will work, the temp sensor part number has already been listed in some other differential threads in this forum already. The hard part will be tapping into connectors in front of the lower body wiring harness and running two pairs of wires to the sensor and pump, but this looks like the fix needed for adding a factory diff pump without a wiring harness change. Well done.

Reactions: jwb

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Now I am really confused, 2 display pics are posted, the first shows axle temp as dashes the next shows temp as 72, both displays also show transmission temp. By Joe I think he nailed it!!
Thanks [MENTION=28687]Diana[/MENTION]! I misread the pics! I'll delete my previous post. Congrats [MENTION=29216]jwb[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Madlock. I'll try them tomorrow. I really just want the terminals. It would be great if they sell connectors with uncrimped terminals. Pigtail will work; not as clean to me.

Thanks @barstowpo and @rb92gt .

Wire and wrap will be here this week. I'll post progress as it happens.

Need to make this into a separate DIY thread with all your pics and parts.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
+1. Pics, part numbers, sources, anything unique to the install!!

Sponsored

Diana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT 350
What is the cost of the differential cooler solution that JWB has come up with? Were all the parts OEM?

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69499

That pretty much is one, even down to the parts list. It was determined the wiring was a problem there (and it remains so), but the rest of the parts are listed. Someone managed to rig up a simple PWM circuit without the computer.

Except there's one new rumor... there's talk about Ford releasing a new diff cooling package using an external temperature pwm circuit, and before counting the costs, we'll need to see it. Soon, I believe it was (6 weeks?).

Last edited:

jwb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Pack, Wht w/ blu
What is the cost of the differential cooler solution that JWB has come up with? Were all the parts OEM?
Unfortunately I don't have a cooler solution. I was just showing that you could display diff temp if you had a sensor installed. I was using the correct sensor (9L8Z-6G004-E). It was in my hand in the pic, not installed. Need to replace the diff cover to install (holy crap is that a job). So, I have found all the wires coming from the PCM and BJB that would run to the sensor and diff pump. Unfortunately they stop at the left and right kick panels. Also, everyone keeps saying the diff pump won't work even if wired; supposedly the PCM is not equipped. Which may be true. Otherwise perhaps it would throw open circuit codes. Anyway I ran leads from the L/H and R/H kick panel connectors to a diff pump (FR3Z-4C158-A). I don't know the temp at which the solenoid fires but the axle temp was reading 180F. Nothing! I was in a hurry. It is possible (likely) one lead may not have been connected; the pump connector is too small to load with five insulated alligator clips. I literally shoved the last one in hoping it would connect. I will find some terminals to use and recheck. Strange to me that the back wire loom is specific to Tech and the front is not. Even the diff pump relay is installed (according to owner's manual; doesn't match Helms).
Does anyone know the temp that closes the relay. Any ideas, advice, suggestions please.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Don't need to replace the differential cover to make this work. The Tech Pack diff cover has the port for the temperature sensor. I am also using the fill and drain holes for my hose connections. This works great with no problems, other than you need to disconnect the top hose to add your diff fluid. For an oil change, the pump can empty the system and filling is easy. Where the stock differential held 1.5 quarts of oil, my cooling system now holds 3.25 quarts.

jwb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Dave. I saw the hole there but didn't realize it was threaded. I assumed the sensor was wet. My plan is to install the OEM pump, lines, and cooler so I will be changing the cover. I did a quick look through your posts to see if I could find your set up (pump, cooler, lines). Spent too much time looking at your other stuff and didn't get to it yet. I did see your switch set up; pretty cool.

Sponsored

kgschrader

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.spacecitypanteras.com
First Name
Kirby
Vehicle(s)
20 GT350R LR217, 2017 Raptor, 20 720S, 71 Pantera
Thanks Dave. I saw the hole there but didn't realize it was threaded. I assumed the sensor was wet. My plan is to install the OEM pump, lines, and cooler so I will be changing the cover. I did a quick look through your posts to see if I could find your set up (pump, cooler, lines). Spent too much time looking at your other stuff and didn't get to it yet. I did see your switch set up; pretty cool.
Interesting stuff, jwb!
I was notified by Lurker_350 (thanks for the heads up!) that you had managed to discover where the wires go to. There's a thread about OEM Differential Oil Cooler Install that you might want to read, if you haven't already.

I have already installed the factory transmission oil cooler and lines. I used an external pump with a thermostatic switch for it. Pretty straight forward.
As per others, I used the drain and fill holes for the inlet and return.

For the differential, I got all the Ford OEM parts, installed it all, even got the Track Pack wire harnesses (thanks again for the forum) and then I stopped... As noted, the wires don't run to the back of the car and I confirmed that in the wiring diagrams.

So I have all that nice stuff sitting back there hooked up and no power or control. I was working on another solution, but this is a better way, I think.

Now that I know where to look physically as to where the wires end, like you say, running some wires into those harness plugs will do the trick.

My first thought when looking at the pictures is that they are the same as the pins on the WeatherPack connectors I use in a couple of EFI installations I have. I will look and see this weekend if I get time.

I have to put a ZF transaxle together for my race car...

Thanks for the pictures and help! This is valuable info.

Regards,
Kirby

jwb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks kgschrader. I just happened to come across the diff cooler thread. I have been looking for the harness to the sensor. I am also looking for terminals to fit. I haven't taken apart the sealed connector on the evap yet nor the temp sensor. Here are pics of the terminals out of C264 (LH kick panel; 22AWG signal wiring) and C215 (RH kick panel; 16AWG power). I have verified continuity to the relay in the BJB. So it matches Helms wiring and owner's manual (except Helms' BJB config looks nothing like the one in the car).

Terminal from C215 (power)

IMG_3243.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

IMG_3253.jpg

Terminal from C264 (signal)

IMG_3257.jpg

IMG_3258.jpg

IMG_3261.jpg

IMG_3263.jpg

IMG_3267.jpg

So far the closest I have found have been on Moser http://www.mouser.com/TE-Connectivity/Connectors/Automotive-Connectors/_/N-1ehb5?P=1yzs6iiZ1z0yxti I haven't ordered yet because I still needed the other two connectors (God bless Voodoo for posting harness pics in the OEM Differential Oil Cooler Install thread)

kgschrader

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.spacecitypanteras.com
First Name
Kirby
Vehicle(s)
20 GT350R LR217, 2017 Raptor, 20 720S, 71 Pantera
Thanks kgschrader. I just happened to come across the diff cooler thread. I have been looking for the harness to the sensor. I am also looking for terminals to fit. I haven't taken apart the sealed connector on the evap yet nor the temp sensor. Here are pics of the terminals out of C264 (LH kick panel; 22AWG signal wiring) and C215 (RH kick panel; 16AWG power). I have verified continuity to the relay in the BJB. So it matches Helms wiring and owner's manual (except Helms' BJB config looks nothing like the one in the car).

Terminal from C215 (power)

Terminal from C264 (signal)

So far the closest I have found have been on Moser http://www.mouser.com/TE-Connectivity/Connectors/Automotive-Connectors/_/N-1ehb5?P=1yzs6iiZ1z0yxti I haven't ordered yet because I still needed the other two connectors (God bless Voodoo for posting harness pics in the OEM Differential Oil Cooler Install thread)
Thanks for the pictures. The close ups show they are probably not WeatherPack, but I'll check anyway. If you order and try them, let us know.
:)

And yes, voodoo's pictures and numbers for the two harnesses were perfect. I ordered them both from my Ford dealer's part department and had them within 3 day, if I remember correctly.

Was very disappointed after allowing the Axle Temp display only to see straight lines and realizing that, yep, there were no wires.

I will need to look again, but I thought there was only one harness that ended up at the back, but from your pictures and descriptions, there are two plug locations; one on the left kick panel and one on the right kick panel.

Do both cables merge into one somewhere inside the car?

Both the Track Pack harnesses plug into each other, so I'm guessing the two locations you have found merge somewhere between the kick panels and the passenger rear side of the car where the harness enters the rear suspension area.

Thanks again.
Kirby

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
There is a member of another forum about tracking Mustangs named BlackBoss. He is building a BIW race car from a wrecked R Model. Perhaps he could be contacted as he has taken all the wiring out of a wrecked car.

jwb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kirby,
Ford (dealer) tells me there is one big harness for the aft end and it will plug into both sides. I believe this to be true. The two wires from the LH side and the two wires from the RH side all come into C405 (the connector attached to the evap; also the L/R exhaust solenoid wires come through C405 (and a ground wire)).
The harness that leads to C405 (on evap), comes through the trunk at the very back. Unscrew the four strap/tie down anchors, pull the trim bottom fwd, and then pull up. You'll see the harness penetrating the floor. The temp sensor harness comes down the left side and then, I'm guessing, goes under the back seat and through the floor.

I just connected all the leads from C264 and C215 to the pump and heated the sensor to 232F and the pump did not start. I am going to post in the diff cooler thread. Majorly disappointed.
Sponsored