Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I think someone got confused because they announced at the show that the new Raptor is 500lbs less than the old one. I seriously doubt that the pulled that much weight out of the mustang.
That is the only thing I can think of, that some numbers were switched...

...but then again, no attempt to remove it until everyone seen it and talked about it. Even after it was brought to their attention, they edited the post but left the stuff on there as if to say... Yep, gotcha, we already edited the post and left that up.

Does anyone remember the 2600lbs Fusion Ford experimented with? The new FGT also has a unique platform... The only way I see a 500lbs loss is if Ford used Carbon Fiber on the structure like the Fusion.
Sponsored

FPC GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350... Soon
Yea I seem to think 500lbs is kind of crazy, but you never know. The upside to this is the GT350R might be more affordable than we think making the GT350 even more of a bargain.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
If you take it to mean 500 lbs. less than a fully optioned GT Premium with spare tire, etc., aka: the heaviest Mustang in the lineup, maybe.

Start adding the stuff they can remove or replace:
Heated/cooled seat for Recaros, spare tire, convertible bracing, lighter wheels, carbon fiber front clip, no fog lamps, lighter drive shaft, no carpet in trunk, less insulation, lighter wire harnesses (not as many goodies+less wire) tubular anti-roll bars, smaller or lighter battery, smaller alternator, no resonator, lighter exhaust system, etc.

The 700lbs. the F150 lost with the Aluminum body was not comparing equally optioned trucks, as they say "the 2015 F150 is UP TO 700lbs. lighter then the previous model"

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
The 700lbs. the F150 lost with the Aluminum body was not comparing equally optioned trucks, as they say "the 2015 F150 is UP TO 700lbs. lighter then the previous model"

^ this

It seems the "average" weight savings model to model in equal trim is about 250lbs. Significant? Yes. Earth shattering? No.

Sponsored

FPC GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350... Soon
CF wheels on the GT350R will roughly save about (1.6x13lbsx4=83.2lbs) 83.2lbs of static weight.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
I definitely think they confused the Raptor weight savings with the GT350R weight savings. In order to pull 500lbs (or 370 for the GT350) from the GT, we're taking CF hood, CF roof, CF trunk, CF framed seats, titanium fastening hardware, plexiglass windows, lightweight suspension (which we know the GT350(R) does NOT have because of MagneRide) all of which = $$$$$$.

The way I see it, a BMW M4 weighs 3500-3600lbs depending on equipment (probably a bit less) and if Ford can match that with the GT350, I'd be thrilled, given that the cars are actually pretty similar in size

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
M2bIUV3.jpg

IIRV the are two comparable models. Granted your weight savings as a consumer is dictated by options.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I definitely think they confused the Raptor weight savings with the GT350R weight savings. In order to pull 500lbs (or 370 for the GT350) from the GT, we're taking CF hood, CF roof, CF trunk, CF framed seats, titanium fastening hardware, plexiglass windows, lightweight suspension (which we know the GT350(R) does NOT have because of MagneRide) all of which = $$$$$$.

The way I see it, a BMW M4 weighs 3500-3600lbs depending on equipment (probably a bit less) and if Ford can match that with the GT350, I'd be thrilled, given that the cars are actually pretty similar in size
There is alot more subtle ways of chasing weight. MuCell for injection molded polymer parts, save material costs, and weight. If you design for it. Further savings can be had, Ford has used this the instrument panel of the Escape, and portions of the 2015 Mustang interior. Certain parts where scrapped due to time constraints with Suppliers though.

My point is Just throwing CF at stuff is way, designing for weight savings or future weights savings by bonding lightweight materials is the smarter way. Ford has, and BMW have defiantly committed to light weighting vehicles.

CF wheels on a OEM vehicle is huge, the Transition to Aluminum on your highest production vehicle is huge, and really paves the way for the future panels in other vehicles at a reasonable cost.

I think 3550 for GT350R and 3680 for GT350 is doable with how much weight Bama has taken out of there car.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/a...-s-mucell-weight-saving-technology-33663.html

Last edited:

Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Rotational mass is equal to 83.2lbs of static weight....
Do we also work out the rotational mass for the FPC to work out the mass of the engine?

Mikeiscoo2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
There is alot more subtle ways of chasing weight. MuCell for injection molded polymer parts, save material costs, and weight. If you design for it. Further savings can be had, Ford has used this the instrument panel of the Escape, and portions of the 2015 Mustang interior. Certain parts where scrapped due to time constraints with Suppliers though.

My point is Just throwing CF at stuff is way, designing for weight savings or future weights savings by bonding lightweight materials is the smarter way. Ford has, and BMW have defiantly committed to light weighting vehicles.

CF wheels on a OEM vehicle is huge, the Transition to Aluminum on your highest production vehicle is huge, and really paves the way for the future panels in other vehicles at a reasonable cost.

I think 3550 for GT350R and 3680 for GT350 is doable with how much weight Bama has taken out of there car.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/a...-s-mucell-weight-saving-technology-33663.html

the base manual 5.0 weighed in at 3705.. the gt350 will weigh much less than 3680 and im betting on the 350R to weigh in less than 3500.

FPC GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350... Soon
Don't know what the weight of the FPC v. CPC is so I couldn't tell you.
Sponsored