Sponsored

Gt 5.0 vs 2017 Camaro 1LE

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
I don't think anyone is upset about the talk. If they run comparable lap times, there is nothing wrong with a discussion. The problem I had was he claimed they were done by the same driver under the same atmospheric conditions which was complete and utter BS. When I asked for him to prove it, he told everyone to suck his little man parts. :crazy:

As for the tires, everyone has praised the new tires the 1le is wearing. Good tires shave seconds off of a lap.
The V6 1LE tires are just Eagle F1 runflat summer tires. I don't see those being an advantage on track of really any kind.

The V8 1LE comes with the Eagle F1 Supercar tires which are stickier, but still are nowhere near something like a sport cup 2. Certainly they offer an advantage on track over anything offered on the GTPP. It would be great if Ford would offer an R Package with better suspension, rubber, and a CAI.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Ford read this thread and said....Nope P Zeros are fine!

Tm@c1965

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 GT Mustang, 2014 SRT Challenger
Tires are "consumables"

Yes and I mentioned that the comparison was a year apart. Anything can happen in between.

Also, change the tires on the GTPP and it will run a much better time. Tires make a lot of differences.
Yep.

IMO they should not carry much weight in a car comparo. They are not "Mods" IMO. They do enhance performance greatly, and everyone should get better tires....period.

To say a car is better because of what stock tires come with the car, is like saying one is better because you run race gas.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
The V6 1LE tires are just Eagle F1 runflat summer tires. I don't see those being an advantage on track of really any kind.

The V8 1LE comes with the Eagle F1 Supercar tires which are stickier, but still are nowhere near something like a sport cup 2. Certainly they offer an advantage on track over anything offered on the GTPP. It would be great if Ford would offer an R Package with better suspension, rubber, and a CAI.
Just the average tire that has...

"2.6 metres shorter wet braking (9% better performance) and 1.3 metres shorter dry braking (4% better performance) than the average of the Michelin Pilot Sport 3, Bridgestone Potenza S001 and Continental Sport Contact 5."

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Goodyear-Eagle-F1-Asymmetric-3-Press-Release.htm

Tires make all the difference.

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado

Sponsored

TrackpackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT PP
My Pirellis lasted 13k (driving them too far) with regular rotations. I got rid of the staggered fitment at 2k miles. You would probably get 10k miles out of the 1LE tires unless you track it regularly or drive it like I did 20 years ago.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
:ford:
Yep. And those tires all suck ass for track duty too. So, what's the point?
Those all season Michelins are better performers than the pzero neros our GTPP are wearing.

TrackpackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT PP
They weren't Neros. Just P Zero on the GTPP

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
And yeah..Ford was behind on performance during that time, but was dominant in sales and the Mustang ultimately survived, where the Camaro was killed off due to being a sales failure.
Dominant in sales doesn't mean squat to me. Could even be a 'negative', since what that means is that the buyer segment that Ford is successfully concentrating on isn't the one that includes me.

Like I've mentioned before, the 1LE is a car for about 2% (more or less quoting Al O. here), and the also readily available GTPP is a car for more like 30% and necessarily compromises away from ultimate performance to get there.

Yes, I know, go to the aftermarket and do whatever you need to on your own. Been doing that for 45 years, and it might actually be nice to not have to do it that way any more.

Norm

Sponsored

TrackpackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT PP
Not to mention the possible side effects of modifying the car vs factory engineered ready to go. Been there and paid that price several times. Sometimes you realize you were better off leaving good enough alone. But the mod disease is almost impossible to shake.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I enjoy the "building of a road course ready mustang", and have started my 2nd build for my own enjoyment. It's also more economical than buying an 1LE or GT 350. I will install BMR cradle lock-out with the J&M subframe bushings to start the suspension work I have planned for Coyote Red.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I find that SILLY since the test were not done on the same day (conditions play a large role).
Of course conditions can play a large role.

What we don't any of us know is whether they actually did. Or even which car ended up being favored if they did.

Simply knowing that an uncertainty exists doesn't let either side use it to their advantage or the other guy's disadvantage.

Norm

OP
OP

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
Of course conditions can play a large role.

What we don't any of us know is whether they actually did. Or even which car ended up being favored if they did.

Simply knowing that an uncertainty exists doesn't let either side use it to their advantage or the other guy's disadvantage.

Norm
That's why the whole talk of the V6 1lE being a faster track car than the GTPP from a test that tested the two cars one year a part is bogus.

The article I was referencing mentioned how under power it felt in the real world, not pushing the car to the limits around the track. I'll give it credit with the 3:04 lap time and the cars that other beat is impressive.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I looked at a local SS 1LE. Was pretty excited as it was the nice blue and had the PDR.

Got in it, so disappointed. So small inside. head was rubbing the liner, shins would rub the dash if I moved around at all, and the door panels are HUGE, taking up lots of knee/leg space.

Disappointed. Mustang it is!
Sponsored