Sponsored

Grab your pitchforks and light your torches, EB vs GT vs *gasp* Camaro

USAFDave13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89' GT (Sold)
I start off by saying, yeah I saw this dead horse as I walked in :paddle:...but this is a more apples to oranges comparison, on purpose.

As I mentioned in my intro, I get to drop my Tacoma and 89' GT for something new. Now I wasn't one of the early lovers of the S550 but it has grown on me, and so has the new Camaro after a fun test drive. Obviously, I'm not dedicated to the blue oval or the bowtie, I just love fast cars. Shoot I even love my wife's Audi.

Anyways, I'll be moving to San Antonio next month and this will be a daily driver. But seeing as I will rarely have the opportunity to use any of these to their full potential, I find myself very drawn to the torque curve of the EB...especially modded.

In a nutshell we're comparing; full bolt on EB premium PP vs intake/exhaust/tune GT premium PP vs stock Camaro 2SS w/ magnetic suspension and NPP exhaust (because I have no interest in a $700 car payment, I would lease it). I do get Z plan pricing with Ford so that is a major price factor in this, I can afford any of these but that doesn't mean i'd love to drop $50k on a fully loaded 2SS Camaro.

Any thoughts on a daily driver that spends 90% of it's time between idle and 3k rpm with an occasional test and tune night at the local strip just for fun? As previously mentioned, I find myself drawn to the idea of something different with the EB and I really love my wife's A4 2.0t and the power curve of a small displacement turbo engine. That said, you can never ever go wrong with a coyote, I will always love a healthy V8.

Thanks for your thoughts and...tolerance :hail:
Sponsored

Last edited:

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Camaro if u have the money for it

J_MENIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Depends on what you want out of your car id say in this order. But in the end it's all up to personal preference. The camaro might be more expensive but you get the best of both worlds for the price, fast and nice sounds. At least that's what I think only for the 6g.

1. Camaro SS, if you want to be the fastest car. And despite what people say I like the new look and their interior I think shits on my mustangs

2. Eco PP, only if you plan on tuning and some bolt ons. But if your looking to go fast and get good gas mileage, and I might get hate but I've raced some V8s and won. Again idc what people say but I think mine sounds nice with my MF Comp Cat and Krona Catted Dp.

3. GT if you want a nice sounding car and "status" not that the camaro doesn't already sound good as well.

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I prefer balance over power due to my geographic location with lots of hilly, curvy country roads and personal preference. I rarely see a highway so the more balanced Turbo really shines. If you are a muscle car guy go with the SS or GT, if you are a sports car guy go with the EB/PP Premium. In any event you should test drive all of them and go with the car you think is best for you.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
GTPP.

The Camaro you mention will be nearing $50k. Go on Chevy's site and price it. The 2SS STARTS are $42,300 with nothing on it.

The 2 options you mentioned you're at $44,885. Your tax in TX is what? 6.25-8.25%? Tack tags/registration/fees and tax on that and you're over $48k even at 6.25%.

$48k can get you a LOT of mods on a GTPP, even negating the Z plan aspect.

My GT Premium auto w/ 3.55 (together $1,000 shy of the PP cost) was $38k (and change I can't remember the exact amount) out the door on X plan. And Z plan is even less than X.

You could probably be out the door under $40k. That's $8,000 less! That's a boatload of mods (or some mods and $ in your pocket). Mustang is the best bang for the buck car out there really.

OP
OP

USAFDave13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89' GT (Sold)
All good points, I suppose I could throw in a bit more info I just didn't want to write a book. I'm not too scared of the direct injection issues, I expect the industry to develop better maintenance methods soon with all the DI engines out now and on top of that I rarely keep a car more than 3-4 years. And while this will sound weird, I don't care which one will win a race. Just which one would be the most fun on a daily basis with spirited driving. If I lose in an EB to a nice GT or Camaro, I just say nice car and good race.

I'm not sure the GT would walk the new LT1 Camaro, that was a very fast stock car. Gas mileage doesn't matter, at least today while gas is south of $2 a gallon. But while we talk cost savings, getting into an EB for high 20's and throwing $3k at the intake, intercooler, charge pipes, downpipe and exhaust will actually keep a ton of money in my pocket over say $37k for a GT plus $2k~ in mods. The lease on the Camaro is around mid $500's/month, I can't mod it but I can beat the snot out of it and then give it back.

Sigh, decisions. I should try doing a bit of networking in San Antonio and see if someone will give me a ride in a modded EB so I can get a feel for it. Test driving a stock one isn't going to give me much to work with in the comparison.

OP
OP

USAFDave13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89' GT (Sold)
Blk2015GT, yeah I've looked at the pricing for months now. Z plan on a GT PP w/ Nav is around $37k. $28-29k on the EB PP. The Camaro as built is $48k, which I won't get positive on in 3-4 years so it's more cost effective to lease. I can and will throw $10k at a down payment for a car that I buy (EB/GT). I probably won't go much farther than I listed as far as mods go. I did damn near everything to my 89' GT and while mods are fun, I feel good about checking the box for building my own 347 stroker but I wouldn't do it again.

J_MENIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
All good points, I suppose I could throw in a bit more info I just didn't want to write a book. I'm not too scared of the direct injection issues, I expect the industry to develop better maintenance methods soon with all the DI engines out now and on top of that I rarely keep a car more than 3-4 years. And while this will sound weird, I don't care which one will win a race. Just which one would be the most fun on a daily basis with spirited driving. If I lose in an EB to a nice GT or Camaro, I just say nice car and good race.

I'm not sure the GT would walk the new LT1 Camaro, that was a very fast stock car. Gas mileage doesn't matter, at least today while gas is south of $2 a gallon. But while we talk cost savings, getting into an EB for high 20's and throwing $3k at the intake, intercooler, charge pipes, downpipe and exhaust will actually keep a ton of money in my pocket over say $37k for a GT plus $2k~ in mods. The lease on the Camaro is around mid $500's/month, I can't mod it but I can beat the snot out of it and then give it back.

Sigh, decisions. I should try doing a bit of networking in San Antonio and see if someone will give me a ride in a modded EB so I can get a feel for it. Test driving a stock one isn't going to give me much to work with in the comparison.
With about 4k you can get an intercooler, full turbo back exhaust system, intake, tune and meth and push the same or possibly more hp then a GT with a shit load more tq. With a fast spooling turbo. High tq = FUN. So if your looking for fun go EB modded. But of course with the eco you got to worry about the issues some people having been having. But if money isnt an issue, go with the SS its as light as an EB sounds as good or even better than a GT and has more HP than both EB and GT with a nice tq number. And with the SS you dont have to worry about warranty issues since itll be stock.

Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
Camaro 2SS is the obvious choice here

OP
OP

USAFDave13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89' GT (Sold)
I just started reading about the EB issues yesterday, but like any product you there is much more motivation to post about issues rather than great experiences. I don't know if i'm recognizing the pattern correctly but it seems like a majority of the EB issues come from early 2015 model builds???

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Blk2015GT, yeah I've looked at the pricing for months now. Z plan on a GT PP w/ Nav is around $37k. $28-29k on the EB PP. The Camaro as built is $48k, which I won't get positive on in 3-4 years so it's more cost effective to lease. I can and will throw $10k at a down payment for a car that I buy (EB/GT). I probably won't go much farther than I listed as far as mods go. I did damn near everything to my 89' GT and while mods are fun, I feel good about checking the box for building my own 347 stroker but I wouldn't do it again.
Well $10k from the GTPP to SS is a huge difference. If it was $2-3-4k, ok that'd be one thing and a tougher choice.

You're ONLY talking 20hp remember between the GT to SS. It's not like you're saying hmm a GT or a Hellcat. It's just not that extreme where throwing down $10k overall more makes sense.

You can EASILY make a GT just as fast as a stock SS with the tune/CAI/exhaust. And if you're going manual trans you don't get the benefit of the 8 speed auto on the Camaro vs 6 on the Mustang to factor into quickness.

Making up 20hp is easy- and those 3 items (tune/CAI/exhaust) will only cost you $2k.

OP
OP

USAFDave13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89' GT (Sold)
Yeah the Camaro 2SS sold itself, beautiful and fun car. I was still hoping to give the Mustangs their opportunity here.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood