Sponsored

Glad I wasn't driving a convertible...

abharwani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT Premium
Glad you walked away from that. I never knew this was as common as it is.
Sponsored

bahasad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium, 14 BMW F30 Stage 1
Saw your video. A shame but the car did it's job and you were saved. Glad you're ok.
Time to go for the 18MY GT. I would buy a cheap run around until you can do so.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Wow ... bad luck with that GT. But it did save you twice from getting hurt, which is a good thing.

Reactions: A7X

reek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
glad you weren't hurt. I would have shat my pants.

my buddy had the same thing happen to his commuter, a civic. they actually DIDN'T total it. they cut the roof off, got a new roof, welded it back on and off he went. he drove that car for another 2 years. Considering it wasn't new and totally structural, I was surprised his insurance didn't total it.

Sponsored

ZackJones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
I watched your YouTube video last night. That's a freaky accident. I would agree with others though in that it's totaled. Now you have to decide between a '17 or '18.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Wow!! That's terrifying.
So glad you're ok, sir.

Is this Mustang cursed or is it your guardian angel? That's a tough call.

OP
OP
Bullitt

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Thanks everyone. Insurance adjuster is looking at it this morning. A viewer who's an adjuster somewhere else wrote up an estimate overnight based off the pictures and video and is estimating the damage at only 10k including labor and that it'll most likely be fixed. We'll see if my adjuster agrees. I have mixed feelings about that, just not sure I could trust a car that's had a new roof welded on vs. a unibody that was stamped that way.

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Holman Moody Mustang
If they dont total it, I wouldnt drive it. As others have said, the structural rigidity is gone, and thats not something they can really get back. The repairs they do would be cosmetic, but wouldnt be as strong as out of the factory. Look at it this way... if they repair it, and this exact thing happens again, would you want to be inside it again?

OP
OP
Bullitt

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yeah, I'll have trouble trusting it for sure. Hopefully Ford does a 2018 Bullitt. If they do, I'll almost certainly trade this in for one (if a dealership will even buy it from me that is). If they don't do a 2018 Bullitt, well I don't know what I'll do with this one.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I currently work in body structure engineering at an OEM. It really depends on how they repair it and if the load paths are still there. The biggest issue is that the welding process will locally negate any heat treatment of the high strength steel in that area. Fingers crossed for totalling it. It'd one thing if it were just the roof skin. That doesn't contribute much to the rigidity or safety of the car and you could have piece of mind. Still further diminished value, but no reduction in enjoyment/usability of the car.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I am glad you are ok, Matt, and so sorry to see this. I hope it turns out for you. I am still hoping for that 2018 Bullitt Mustang, which I easily see you getting (and me too). Hang in there!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
For both Tony and Matt..............c'mon Ford, throw them another bone about the forthcoming Bullitt. At least an official announcement means medium-term plans can be put in place!

:cheers:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
With that much metal damage to the roof, blown out glass, interior damage and damage to the rear 1/4 panel - that's a total for sure.

If it's not totaled, press for it by saying you wouldn't feel safe in it after the repair as you wouldn't feel that the roof structure would be as strong as it was when built.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Saw your video, glad you came out safe.

Don't know if I had a food feeling with fixing that, in case something hits the roof again...
Sponsored