Sponsored

Ford wants to help us mod the ecoboost?

EcoSnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard EB PP
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-to-mod-ecoboost-engines/?click=_hpTrnsprtr_1
Ford is putting EcoBoost engines in just about everything they build, and Ford Racing wants you to modify them. Or, at least, tweak the software with Ford-developed calibrations loaded into the ECU with a Ford Racing ProCal handset, which plugs into the diagnostic port and controls the typical variables you'd expect: throttle mapping, idle speed, waste gate control, fuel curves, ignition timing, etc.

The strong undercurrent here is: tweak the electronics rather than throwing parts at the engine. And the reason is, decent gains can be had without destroying drivability. It's not quite as sexy as bolting up a new intake and hotter cams, but then again, these gains are not expensive (the handset is $595 from Ford Racing) and if you use Ford Racing calibrations it won't void the warranty. That's neat. It's also the future: swim within manufacturer restraints and keep your warranty. Bolt up a bunch of non-supported aftermarket parts and you're S.O.L. It's a proprietary aftermarket, essentially.

Don't turn your nose up at it just yet. Owners of the Ford Focus ST can see up to a 90 lb-ft increase in torque using ProCal, and the warranty is maintained. That's not a small increase. And torque is good. We like torque.

Ford hasn't specified what sort of gains Fiesta ST 1.6-liter and Ford Mustang 2.3-liter EcoBoost models will receive by plugging in a ProCal, but let's hope the gains are in line with what they're pulling out of the Focus ST.

That being said, if you don't care about your warranty, Ford Racing will gladly sell you whatever you'd like. How crazy do you want to spend? They don't care, as they're not on the hook for warranty claims. Ford has also been working with real third-party aftermarket suppliers to develop EcoBoost suitable components, especially for the Mustang. Remember SEMA this year? Ford is pushing the aftermarket hard on the EcoBoost-equipped pony cars.

Any reports of the death of the aftermarket are greatly exaggerated.

A New Breed of Performance Starts with Ford EcoBoost Engines

• Ford now offers EcoBoost® engines in all of its high-performance nameplates – from Fiesta ST to Mustang – making room for a new kind of aftermarket tuning

• Modifying engine performance can be accomplished with hand-held programmers that adjust several engine parameters

• Adjusting engine control unit programming can result in performance gains of up to 90 lb.-ft. of torque in cars like Focus ST
Ford’s award-winning EcoBoost® engine lineup not only has great EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings, it is also becoming a favorite family of engines in the performance tuning community.

From the infancy of the automobile, tinkerers have always chased more power by removing original components and replacing them with expensive aftermarket parts. This can lead to added performance, but at a cost to fuel efficiency, durability or driving comfort most owners would never accept.
For example, while replacing a camshaft can result in added horsepower, but typically a smooth idle must be sacrificed. Replacements can include new exhaust and intake manifolds, high-flow fueling systems and sometimes superchargers. This kind of tuning requires significant know-how and for the vehicle to be out of operation for some time.

Now, with the advent of computer-controlled engines, tuners have begun modifying a vehicle’s original programming for increased engine performance in the areas they choose. The technologies in Ford EcoBoost engines make their efforts even more effective.

Advanced EcoBoost technology includes direct injection, variable cam timing and turbocharging that, together, offer excellent power density and EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings straight from the factory. In the hands of engine tuning experts, tweaking these attributes can result in tremendous gains in horsepower and torque output, at an inexpensive price tag.

A programming handset from Ford Racing offers a perfect example of the tuning possibilities. For Focus ST’s 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine and Fiesta ST’s 1.6-liter EcoBoost, Ford Racing offers ProCal, which any performance enthusiast can purchase at FordRacing.com for $595. Plug the device into the car’s diagnostic link connector port in the driver’s side footwell to tap into the many aspects of the car’s performance – anything from throttle response characteristics or idle speed, to turbo wastegate control, to fuel curves and spark timing.

While these settings should be modified only within recommended limits, the resulting performance gains with Ford-tested programs can be impressive. Focus ST owners, for example, can expect up to a 90 lb.-ft. increase in torque – all while maintaining the Ford-backed limited warranty.

Ford Racing is developing custom engine calibrations for the all-new Mustang 2.3-liter EcoBoost, with a product expected on the market by the end of 2015.

Not all enthusiasts are concerned about maintaining their factory warranty, and for those Ford has committed to working with aftermarket tuning companies to enable the development of high-quality parts and accessories to maximize the performance of Ford vehicles. Aftermarket tuners have achieved impressive performance gains for the all-new 2.3-liter EcoBoost I-4 in the 2015 Ford Mustang. Several tuners, including Mountune and Full-Race Motorsports, showcased their modified EcoBoost Mustangs at the 2014 SEMA Show.

By working with respected turbocharging engine experts from around the world including Mountune and Full-Race Motorsports, Ford is demonstrating a commitment to a new breed of forced-induction performance. Expect to see more exciting new options from Ford Racing in the near future.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...rmance-starts-with-ford-ecoboost-engines.html
Sponsored

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
I had a ProCal tune in my 2012 GT, briefly. It was ok, but it pinged. It also does not allow for mods outside of the specific parameters programmed. For example, you cannot remove the cats. It may be a little better with the EB due to the speed density system. The "warranty" is not from Ford, it is FRPP warranty and the tunes are developed by outside tuning firms under contract.

Mike

2015-MUSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
If the tune is similar to the other tunes offered, I would be more comfortable getting this one that will be covered under the warranty.

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
If the tune is similar to the other tunes offered, I would be more comfortable getting this one that will be covered under the warranty.
It will not be as aggressive and likely will not permit "illegal" mods, like the removal of cats, but it will be a vast improvement.

Mike

jswenk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
What about the GT?

Sponsored

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
I had a ProCal tune in my 2012 GT, briefly. It was ok, but it pinged. It also does not allow for mods outside of the specific parameters programmed. For example, you cannot remove the cats. It may be a little better with the EB due to the speed density system. The "warranty" is not from Ford, it is FRPP warranty and the tunes are developed by outside tuning firms under contract.

Mike
My procal pinged in my 12 mustang GT along with negligible gains; however, in the case of the Ecoboost (being turbocharged), decent gains will likely be had by an increase in boost.
It would be interesting to see if the Ford Racing echoboost tune truly is back by the Ford factory warranty rather than the 3/36 supplemental Ford Racing warranty:headbonk:

Last edited:

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
-2 since this is about the EB in the EB forum
Regardless of the forum area I'm surprised in the lack of details on the Ford Racing GT tune.

I feel like this article is hey don't forget about Ford Racing because it sounds like their tune for the Eco is a long way off.

Ruckus

No Fear Here
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rux
Vehicle(s)
People Crazy
Very encouraging news. Thanks for the link to the article. The "soft" mods are way easier to perform than "hard" ones. My mods have always been cosmetic; I'm starting to get itchy to work some magic under the hood. Sleeper style. ;)

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Sounds more to me like Ford would rather we don't mod the cars. Sounds more like they left a little on the table and they are upcharging for us to get it.

Ruckus

No Fear Here
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rux
Vehicle(s)
People Crazy
Sounds more like they left a little on the table and they are upcharging for us to get it.
Good point. I think they're just catering to those who want to take their performance to the next level. For some, the base Eco is fine, to others, a PP brings the goods, and to still others, a performance bump sweetens the pot even more. They're just offering another option.

UNtamed67

Silver Shadow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple...
Vehicle Showcase
Same thing I was saying. Sounds like they subcontracted the development to the government.

12 months to develop a tune???

Finally something on time for the European market.

We'll be able (hope so) to order an Ecoboost PP (standard) with Borla Ford racing exhaust and this tune. Adding the new Roush 19" wheels should make the Ingot version a nice one to look at....

Keep you posted when the order books open...
Sponsored