Honda's
OP
OP

Jack79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda's
Just another though, these guys, Prodrive Racing Australia, i believe have their own team in the supercar series,

So would it be safe to say, a supercar mustang is on its way, when the format changes to allow 2 door cars in the near future.

Win on Sunday, sell on Monday :)

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I think they will be not unlike Herrod/Harrop/whoever. The only factory high performance Mustangs will be the Shelbys, but whether we get them here or not is another story.

Tickford tugs at the heart strings for the diehard and if there's consistency in their approach - which was to develop a total, unique packages - then I'm sure it'll be popular.

I think you are right about Mustang used in the Supercars. I've always said the tail doesn't wag the dog, meaning Ford doesn't need to pour money into Supercars; the sport needs the brands, not the other way around. Remove Ford from there and it'll be the Holden Cup. The sport, if it's so successful, can prop up the brands and/or teams. The other question is how successful with the crowd would PRA be if they moved away from using Fords? Perhaps a joint development of a race Mustang from PRA and DJR/Penske is on the cards.

OP
OP

Jack79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda's
mmm, your right about the supercars, needing the brands, no one wants to see it turn in to the Holden cup.

For supercar AU to be successful you need the Ford vs Holden, yes in the next few years it'll be "based on USA built design's. but as long as its Ford vs GM, that will keep the diehards happy to an extent.

PRA are building a bigger base, so it'll be interesting to see what happens, could a joint PRA and DJR/Penske be in the works.... not to sure, these guys are pigheaded about their car development, but if they can get over it, PRA could make money by suppling other teams with chassis, and running gear.

I looking forwards to seeing what GM bring to the table for Supercar AU... I'm thinking that they will surprise us, as they have been the mainstay in the supercars since ford went soft, how that fit's in with their future imports I'm not sure.

But I'm hoping there is a surprise, which will make Ford develop a RHD shelby for the RHD market.

Gavin k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Mustang
Just another though, these guys, Prodrive Racing Australia, i believe have their own team in the supercar series,

So would it be safe to say, a supercar mustang is on its way, when the format changes to allow 2 door cars in the near future.

Win on Sunday, sell on Monday :)
I have good mail that Prodrive Racing will not be running the Mustang next year 2017 in the supercar series. The falcon is still the car of choice at this stage.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jack79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda's
I have good mail that Prodrive Racing will not be running the Mustang next year 2017 in the supercar series. The falcon is still the car of choice at this stage.
They need time to develop the Supercar mustang, so your right, i think 2018 would be the earliest we see a Supercar chassis dressed up as a mustang.

Plus they need to offload the last of the 2107 Falcons, so its 99.9% that that the Falcons and Commodores will have one final blast together, before the end of an era.

I still loved the old days when they ripped out the aircon, radio and rear seats and raced them.

There is nothing real about supercars now, apart from the badge on the bonnet and the panels riveted on.

marto.s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty/Marto
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT
PRA have openly said they have no plans to run the Mustang at all. However, if they were secretly planning on it, they would still say the same thing. Hopefully they have something in the pipeline. I'll be at Bathurst this year so can't wait to see what they have on offer.

I still loved the old days when they ripped out the aircon, radio and rear seats and raced them.

There is nothing real about supercars now, apart from the badge on the bonnet and the panels riveted on.
They have multiple series like that now, it is boring and nowhere near as exciting or as close as the V8Supercars. Parody is very difficult when the cars are based closer to the road spec versions.

Gavin k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Mustang
They need time to develop the Supercar mustang, so your right, i think 2018 would be the earliest we see a Supercar chassis dressed up as a mustang.

Plus they need to offload the last of the 2107 Falcons, so its 99.9% that that the Falcons and Commodores will have one final blast together, before the end of an era.

The good oil is the Mondeo body fits the current frame and has had all the aero work completed on it in the UK. Thus the Mustang is going to be too costly to set up and I don't know that Ford are going to help fund the development of the Mustang into the race ready state either?

OP
OP

Jack79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda's
The good oil is the Mondeo body fits the current frame and has had all the aero work completed on it in the UK. Thus the Mustang is going to be too costly to set up and I don't know that Ford are going to help fund the development of the Mustang into the race ready state either?
I doubt ford would chip in, they have been tightasses for years.

The Mondeo is a strong possibility, if the body fits the current chassis, plus all the development work has been done.

But a Mondeo isn't exciting, who wants to drive one of those.

Time will tell

SteamPlane

Car, beer & whisky nerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White GT Convertible
But a Mondeo isn't exciting, who wants to drive one of those.
Oh I don't know - how about AWD EcoBoost Mondeo? With the right tuning that could be very interesting IMHO.

Sponsored

marto.s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty/Marto
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT
Ford Aus for years have been seemingly against promoting their own product through V8 Supercars. Ford has never embraced Bathurst wins, Championship wins or similar so it is no surprise they have pulled all funding from the sport. Holden does the opposite and the landslide victory in Commodore v Falcon sales is quite obvious.

Throw the mustang in for 2018 and watch Ford ignore it no matter how well it does. It's just not on their radar. Even with Penske, who have massive pull in the US, will probably do little to persuade Ford Aus.

Oh I don't know - how about AWD EcoBoost Mondeo? With the right tuning that could be very interesting IMHO.
I saw one at a dealer just recently, high end model, black with black wheels. It was a very good looking car. Add a performance model and it could get a little more interest. Buuut, the Mondeo has never done well in Australia and sadly, I don't think it ever will.

SteamPlane

Car, beer & whisky nerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White GT Convertible
Buuut, the Mondeo has never done well in Australia and sadly, I don't think it ever will.
Agreed - although perhaps the Mondeo will do better when there is no Falcon to buy?

trumpeteer_au

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rapid Red GT Auto
Agreed - although perhaps the Mondeo will do better when there is no Falcon to buy?
Although no one has been buying falcons for years anyway. Asked a ford salesman how he was going to go when they stop selling falcons and he said it wouldn't affect him because he couldn't remember the last falcon he sold.

It sad that ford wouldn't promote and support what was a very good product.

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
Who would have done the work, and for what other racing category? The rear wing element is a licensed design, unique to Supercars. The car would still need to go through the expensive local Supercars homologation process to obtain parity.

The current Ford Australia management, and probably Ford Asia Pacific (who ultimately call the shots), do not want to be associated with what they see as 'working class' Supercars. They naively want to try to take Ford upmarket with a high tech image, despite the fact Ford doesn't have that image anywhere else in the world.

With Ranger by far being Ford Australia's best seller, they are pushing that smelly stuff uphill. Very sad to see...
Sponsored

Last edited: