Ford strikes again - now resolved

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
Have you tried this check? You are taxed through to 1st April 2018, so looks OK. The link at the bottom to check tax rates requires your info off the V5. Just before you burn the dealer down, or drive it through the front door................:)
2017-05-16.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
CaptainSensible

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe
Yes, I have checked using the info off the V5, and it is definitely saying £535 a year to tax.

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Bugger.

I bet you won't be the only one affected by this. 1st April was a Saturday. The odds of dealers managing to organise registration and pick up on the same day must be pretty long. Many won't have understood the difference between the registration date and the taxation date, and the implications.

Good luck.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations you have had a free mustang for a month. Drop it off at the dealers, hand them the keys and v5, and your bank account details for the refund.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations you have had a free mustang for a month. Drop it off at the dealers, hand them the keys and v5, and your bank account details for the refund.
* With no tyres on the car as you burnout on the entrance to the dealership ;)

Sponsored

Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 FJG manual/'65 289 Coupe
My car arrived at the dealer in early March, so it was left standing for about 3 weeks. Hardly months.
My mistake, sorry. In which case, you have my fullest sympathy. Ford U.K. really are terrible and not used to dealing with a 'premium' vehicle at all, compared to other brands:frusty:

Biggriff550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Deep Impact Blue Convertible
With due respect to everyone on here go and get legal advice or speak to Trading Standards. Dealers have deep pockets and always go in with the key argument in the right way.

It will be pretty evident to the Dealer you have taken advice and this can stiffen their resistance to sorting out the apparent problem so I always say to people to start nicely.

I always ask politely, then I get the Dealer principal involved and seek legal advice. If they don't react appropriately then bring out the big guns.

I had a similar problem when I bought a new Mercedes CLS. To be fair the one thing they don't like is publicity, involvement of Trading Standards or a cute Solicitor. In my circumstances it was Trading Standards that swung it when they threatened to take away the Dealers credit licence.

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
I had the same issue with my van back in 2015. They wanted September numbers so taxed it on Sep 30th which meant i paid a months tax for a day.

They gave me a full tank of Diesel, which cost over £90 so I was happy!!

However, my issue is nothing like the size of this one.. if you do go down the compensation route, make sure they compensate you for the difference in value on the used market.. there will be a difference in the value used when one costs £400 more to tax than the other!!

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Like I said, think of a number and stick to it.

You probably don't have grounds to reject the car but you are due compensation to put you back in a position you would have been had they not cocked up (so long as your instructions were clear).

Can anyone else hear the rustling of V5's as everyone who picked up on the first checks their registration date?

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Like I said, think of a number and stick to it.

You probably don't have grounds to reject the car but you are due compensation to put you back in a position you would have been had they not cocked up (so long as your instructions were clear).

Can anyone else hear the rustling of V5's as everyone who picked up on the first checks their registration date?
It sounds almost deafening. :lol:

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Note to self. No matter how simple the instruction, always put everything in writing and get signed copies when dealers by with car dealer

OP
OP
CaptainSensible

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe
Thanks all. I just phoned them (no call back, surprise, surprise) and spoke to the finance manager who was the most senior person available. Took a couple of goes for him to understand the issue, but I think he gets it now so he is going to look into it and has promised me a call back today.

Not exactly progress, but at least the wheels are in motion.

Just to add, there's no argument that it should have been registered on 1 April. I have a whole paper trail of evidence and also it's written on the invoice that I would pay an extra £800 so the car is regsitered on 1 April.

I am also cautious about just handing the car back, because I've had it professionally detailed and an aftermarket exhaust fitted. Handing it back for a refund would leave me out of pocket, unless they also cover these costs, which they really should.

Last edited:

Biggriff550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Deep Impact Blue Convertible
If you hand it back put the standard exhaust back on. Do not hand back a modified car as they will be within their rights to say its not the same car.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks all. I just phoned them (no call back, surprise, surprise) and spoke to the finance manager who was the most senior person available. Took a couple of goes for him to understand the issue, but I think he gets it now so he is going to look into it and has promised me a call back today.

Not exactly progress, but at least the wheels are in motion.

Just to add, there's no argument that it should have been registered on 1 April. I have a whole paper trail of evidence and also it's written on the invoice that I would pay an extra £800 so the car is regsitered on 1 April.

I am also cautious about just handing the car back, because I've had it professionally detailed and an aftermarket exhaust fitted. Handing it back for a refund would leave me out of pocket, unless they also cover these costs, which they really should.

I find your biggest issue is they took the 880 and registered it pre that date, meaning not only have they gone against your pre agreed "contract", but also that they've willingly taken your money that was earmarked for the agreed VED rise, and not intended to refund it knowing they hadn't used it. Therefore making this both fraud, and a scam. If you want to go big cheese and cause a scene,by all means, call the cops, lawyers, etc.

FWIW take the exhaust off.

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
You can't hand it back because you'd have to explain to the little one who helped you unveil it! :(
Sponsored