Ford saves v8

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
If enough of the auto manufacturers get behind it and keep demand high enough for ICE vehicles, costs should come down. Porsche said they think $8/gallon by 2026 from the current $45/gallon. That’s a pretty big drop in a short amount of time for a new technology
I'd like to believe that, but I just don't think it will be possible. I have seen too many biofuel and synthetic fuel initiatives make similar claims but never ever get there. Unforeseen complications always emerge.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
If enough of the auto manufacturers get behind it and keep demand high enough for ICE vehicles, costs should come down. Porsche said they think $8/gallon by 2026 from the current $45/gallon. That’s a pretty big drop in a short amount of time for a new technology
I think we are forgetting distribution. How many of us can get unlimited supply of quality E85? Now we are thinking syn fuel. I'm all for it but it is a pipe (pun intended) dream.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Ford won't be able to establish a synthetic fuel infrastructure on its own. I would hope the oil companies are looking into this in order to have a market in the future.
Agree. But there is no reason for oil to invest in this right now. They are making record profits doing what they are doing, spending money on an alternative can only dilute profits.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the Oil Majors will be HAPPY to throw a piss-ant amount of money at this latest boondoggle. It buys them "forgiveness" from the stupid people, but they know damn well OIL is going nowhere. Or the entire globe reverts to 1800's life expectancy and wealth.

Plus they have the manufacturing know-how to make it cheaper than anyone else should it manage to get more than an inconsequential amount of the market.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I think we are forget distribution. How many of us can get unlimited supply of quality E85? Now we are thinking syn fuel. I'm all for it but it is a pipe (pun intended) dream.
Valid point. I just go back to consumer demand and if it’s high enough someone will find a way. It sounds like existing infrastructure might work but I know zip about some of these synthetic fuels. Maybe it does end up being like an E85, although E85 feels a little more nichey to me (mainly just us car enthusiasts). If synthetic fuels can be used instead unleaded and diesel, I think it has a better chance of being more widely available. But a lot of this stuff is way above my pay grade 😂

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
What's funny is you could run a fool-proof and no-waste nuclear reactor on the Thorium contained in coal, then use technology dating back before WW2 to convert the carbon in coal into synth fuel and have more than enough energy left over to power the grid.

It doesn't get any more beautiful than that. But of course we're not putting any money behind it.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
EV is all idiocy of the highest order. They all KNOW their companies will collapse if they go 100% EV. They are still just trying to pretend and curry favor while virtue-signaling. Why work hard, when you can get billions in free gov't cheese to perpetuate the Big Lie of the Day.

Dodge will be showcasing the re-launched ICE family of vehicles in 3 years' time. If it takes them that long. You can scream at a Physics textbook all you like, Physics is unbendable.
I am not against EV's but I see 3 major issues with EV's currently. Emphasis on #1.

1) Biggest issues is the Grid not being able to handle the extra load + the terrible charging stations.

2) EVs are more efficient BUT the creation of batteries and disposal is an issue that needs to be accounted for.

3) At least for sports cars, silent sports car is not as fun. lol

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
Interesting read, but I am skeptical that synthetic fuel production could ever be scaled to the point of being affordable.
I read a comment on a Top Gear youtube video where some guy stated he was able to buy synthetic fuel in the USA for $4/gal... If my choices were driving an EV or paying $4 for a gallon of "guilt free" gasoline, I know which I'd pick.

Hell, our 87 octane gasoline is the equivalent of $3.40 USD a gallon anyway :p

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I read a comment on a Top Gear youtube video where some guy stated he was able to buy synthetic fuel in the USA for $4/gal... If my choices were driving an EV or paying $4 for a gallon of "guilt free" gasoline, I know which I'd pick.

Hell, our 87 octane gasoline is the equivalent of $3.40 USD a gallon anyway :p
Never believe what you see on YouTube.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
As long as we are allowed to have ICE vehicles, that is all I have any interest in owning. If you want to buy a EV, fine.. but leave me alone. I am sure I cannot be the only one... Where there is a will, there is a way... and they will do what they can to still be able to make the money off those of us that want ICE vehicles.

Sponsored

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think we are forgetting distribution. How many of us can get unlimited supply of quality E85? Now we are thinking syn fuel. I'm all for it but it is a pipe (pun intended) dream.
There is an existing distribution network for liquid fuel that can be utilized for synthetic or non-synthetic forms of gasoline. Not sure why you would want to throw away the current methods of distribution? Or are you thinking they would somehow be non-compatible?

Synthetic fuel is pretty dumb, though when we have hundreds of years' worth of oil available. Just use oil until it becomes too expensive, THEN go to synthetic, ethanol, methanol, hydrogen, whatever.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
There is an existing distribution network for liquid fuel that can be utilized for synthetic or non-synthetic forms of gasoline. Not sure why you would want to throw away the current methods of distribution? Or are you thinking they would somehow be non-compatible?

Synthetic fuel is pretty dumb, though when we have hundreds of years' worth of oil available. Just use oil until it becomes too expensive, THEN go to synthetic, ethanol, methanol, hydrogen, whatever.
I'm not familiar enough with syn fuel to know if it is compatible with non-syn fuel. Will it replace regular gasoline and therefor be distributed the same way? Same pumps, etc? Can todays cars use syn fuel without modification (unlike E85).

If the answer is yes, then there are no issues, let's do it. But I do not think that's the case. If like E85 it cannot be a direct replacement I doubt we will be seeing this on the market anytime soon.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I had posted an article a month or so ago that Mazda had been testing synthetic fuel with great success. I think the post is in the "lounge" sub-forums on here.
Sponsored