Sponsored

Focus RS gives hope for EB Mustang sound

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
A K Series with a ton of boost sounds good, for example.
Revs will do that, so will lots of boost. I don't think a K24 with lots of boost sounds that good though. It just does not have the revs to make impressive noises. You don't need boost for revs to sound good though. Way back when, I had a buddy with a 98 ITR, and there was something about revving that B18C5 to 12k that gave me a chubby. It only made something like 260hp N/A, but it just kept pulling and pulling.

But in talking about stockish applications. EVO sounds OKish (to me), MS3 sounds meh, SRT4 sounds like gargled balls. The CLA/GLA45 AMG though, that is a sound I can get behind.

I guess I have a legit question though, what do you want it to sound like? Not that I think it will be possible to really change the tone based on the headifold alone.
Sponsored

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Okay -- so the Ford Social site says more than 315:

https://social.ford.com/content/for...203FocusRSReveal&source=20150203FocusRSReveal

Hopefully we aren't disappointed and get the 350 or more we're hoping for -- it's plausible, but Ford hasn't been delivering the numbers in the manner that we'd hoped -- yes the Mustang's body-in-white weighs less, yes the power loading is slightly better, yes the milage is totally achievable -- but most of us had been expecting a lot more -- and more seemed plausible.

Dragen

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EBPP
Personally, I think my brothers procharged Coyote with Borlas sounds like canned ass.

When I tell people I hate the sound of the boxer rumble, they look at me like I am crazy.
I hate the way both of these sound, 5.0s and subarus, and I get the same crazy stares when I say it. I also got them way back in '03 when I said how much hated the 350z/g35c exhaust note.

Some people still don't know what subjective means and can't handle people not liking what they like.

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
I guess I have a legit question though, what do you want it to sound like? Not that I think it will be possible to really change the tone based on the headifold alone.

It is such a pedestrian sounding engine, it is hard to say what I want it to sound like. An Alfa 4C sounds good, and it is a 4 cylinder with a turbo. They made good sounding turbo 4 cylinder cars in the 1980s. Lancias, Renaults, Peugeots, Cosworth Fords, Lotus Esprit turbos, etc. All I can say is that Ford really screwed the pooch with this car in terms of sound.

Sponsored

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
It is such a pedestrian sounding engine, it is hard to say what I want it to sound like. An Alfa 4C sounds good, and it is a 4 cylinder with a turbo. They made good sounding turbo 4 cylinder cars in the 1980s. Lancias, Renaults, Peugeots, Cosworth Fords, Lotus Esprit turbos, etc. All I can say is that Ford really screwed the pooch with this car in terms of sound.
Honestly, I agree with your thoughts of good sounding cars. That 4C sounds pretty incredible.

I don't necessarily think the Ecoboost sounds pedestrian, as that would almost imply it sounds like everything else. But it certainly is a sound you either love or hate.

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
Honestly, I agree with your thoughts of good sounding cars. That 4C sounds pretty incredible.

I don't necessarily think the Ecoboost sounds pedestrian, as that would almost imply it sounds like everything else. But it certainly is a sound you either love or hate.
There are some cars that sound so wonderful, you really don't care if they are slow. Then, there are cars that are pretty damn quick, like this one, and the soundtrack is so uninspiring (to me, YMMV), that all you want to do is silence it.

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
There are some cars that sound so wonderful, you really don't care if they are slow. Then, there are cars that are pretty damn quick, like this one, and the soundtrack is so uninspiring (to me, YMMV), that all you want to do is silence it.
Please don't think I am trying to sway your opinion or just arguing to argue. I am genuinely interested in your input. It's nice to get a differing opinion and to be able to see where a person is coming from.

How do you feel about the exhausts for the FoST?

Is there any possibility (conscious or subconsciously) that the fact that is a Mustang means this exhaust tone should not sound as it does?

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
Please don't think I am trying to sway your opinion or just arguing to argue. I am genuinely interested in your input. It's nice to get a differing opinion and to be able to see where a person is coming from.

How do you feel about the exhausts for the FoST?

Is there any possibility (conscious or subconsciously) that the fact that is a Mustang means this exhaust tone should not sound as it does?
I think maybe it is just this headifold design that turns me off. I am not the kind of guy who thinks a Mustang must have a bellowing V-8. I have owned 3 SVOs (which all had 2.3 Turbo Lima engines). Maybe a big turbo and a the SW exhaust combo would sound good. I used to own a real deal Callaway GTi. It was an 8v car, but it sounded really good. I hear Turbo 4 cars all of the time that I do like, just not this one.

Mike

EcoSnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard EB PP
If I really cared about how it sounds I would of got the 5.0 plus I always have the radio on. But when I do hear the exhaust notes I want to punch ford. Worst sounding 4 ive ever owned. Even the na ones. This should of been worked on a little more.

Sponsored

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
If I really cared about how it sounds I would of got the 5.0 plus I always have the radio on. But when I do hear the exhaust notes I want to punch ford. Worst sounding 4 ive ever owned. Even the na ones. This should of been worked on a little more.
You know the 5.0 is not the greatest sounding Ford V-8, either. They changed the firing order from the 351W order to the Flathead order on the Coyote and it really altered the tone. The 2vs, 3vs and previous gen 4vs sound much better...as does, of course, the 302 roller motor. I struggled for quite some time to get a perfect sound from my Coyote. Without longtubes, that is really hard.

EcoSnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard EB PP
You know the 5.0 is not the greatest sounding Ford V-8, either. They changed the firing order from the 351W order to the Flathead order on the Coyote and it really altered the tone. The 2vs, 3vs and previous gen 4vs sound much better...as does, of course, the 302 roller motor. I struggled for quite some time to get a perfect sound from my Coyote. Without longtubes, that is really hard.
I own a SN95 GT cattless with flowmasters :headbang: I agree with you.

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
Anyone thought to take the ecoboost exhaust and put more bends in it, instead of making it as straight and free flowing as possible?

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I personally thought the Roush axlebacks with no other changes to the exhaust sounded really good, but a bit loud.

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I think a modded Mitsubishi Evo 8 or 9 is what the Ecoboost should have sounded like.
Sponsored