Sponsored

Floormat snap durability?

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
I got the Ford/Mustang rubber mats thrown in with my deal. I promptly took out the two front mats and put in the 4 rubber mats. But I'm curious how durable those two carpet-mounted snaps are and same for the two gromets they insert into?

I took the driver's mat out for the first time after owning the car for 4 days and already there looks to be a chip taken out of one of the gromets.

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Sponsored

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
My 2015 is an early build, Oct 2014. I have not had an issue with the grommets. However, I have Weather Tech floor liners as I drive the car all year. The weather techs have a piece which goes around the grommet and attaches to the liner with a velcro insert. So, the grommet is never really stressed when I remove the liner to clean them.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2015 is an early build, Oct 2014. I have not had an issue with the grommets. However, I have Weather Tech floor liners as I drive the car all year. The weather techs have a piece which goes around the grommet and attaches to the liner with a velcro insert. So, the grommet is never really stressed when I remove the liner to clean them.
Originally I wanted the WeatherTech but settled for the Ford. I do like the Ford but I'm wondering if there is any way to retro-fit with the velcro like you're describing. Any chance you could snap a pic?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Synyster06Gates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
This. Love my Weathertechs.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Husky Liners on both of my vehicles. Very durable. It's a hard plastic design so the material does not wear unlike rubber.

Sponsored

MechWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red, FB, 3.7L, 051A, MANUAL !!
I have a few different sets of carpeted Lloyd after-market floor mats, including the Ford rubber all-weather mats for Winter. I NEVER use the 2 snap things, not needed, the mats do not move, they stay in place just fine.

tjo1186

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mustang GT
I have regular floor mats that came with the car. The left grommet has torn up a piece of the carpet due to the mat pulling on the grommet. Very slight tear. I brought it in and ford said it's a defective part and they would warranty it. Which means they will be replacing the whole carpet. Waiting on them to get the carpet in and phone call back. But figured might as well have it fixed under warranty before it gets worse.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I have factory rubber mats, but replaced them with Weathertech mats. The Ford ones are nice, but there is no comparison to the Weathertech. The Weathertech mats have the velcro as other's have said, so you don't need to snap them in. They also cover the entire floor so the carpet will last forever, and if you spill anything you can just pull them out and dump the liquid off since they're formed like a bowl and can hold several inches of liquid. I planned to put the Ford ones back in during the nicer months, but the Weathertech look and fit so good that I decided to use them year round.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I have an early set of Weathertech's. I find that the snap action gradually became looser. To me, this is a good thing, because I don't want the posts pulling out of the carpet.

The posts are just a safety feature, as we know, to prevent the floor map from riding up under the pedals. Honestly, the shape of the Weathertech's would hold them in place even without the posts.

When I remove them, I put my fingers under the mat, and slowly push up near the post. This get it to release without stressing the carpet.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, so I'm thinking I should invest in a set of weathertechs as I'd originally planned. Any place cheaper than ebay to buy the full set including the trunk?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Husky liner uses snap ring as well as little sharp posts all over the under side of the mats to grip onto the carpet.
It's much cheaper than weathertech.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, so I'm thinking I should invest in a set of weathertechs as I'd originally planned. Any place cheaper than ebay to buy the full set including the trunk?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

You really don't need the rears unless you have people sitting back there often. What I did was keep the stock Ford rubber floors mats in the back and just bought a set of Weathertechs for the front. I paid like $95 off Amazon this past Christmas for the fronts. I do want to get one of the trunk liners though.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You really don't need the rears unless you have people sitting back there often. What I did was keep the stock Ford rubber floors mats in the back and just bought a set of Weathertechs for the front. I paid like $95 off Amazon this past Christmas for the fronts. I do want to get one of the trunk liners though.
Well my son sits back there daily during the week. But he knows no snacks and only spill-proof drinks and that feet go on the floor only. I actually thought about that...just buying the fronts.

As for the trunk...I know we're all fans of the Mustang here but that is a piss poor design the way a piece of particle board just loosely sits over the spare wheel well!! Definitely need a cargo mat off some sort back there. Not sure I'll spend the $150 or whatever the Weathertech trunk mat goes for.

-Emt1581

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well my son sits back there daily during the week. But he knows no snacks and only spill-proof drinks and that feet go on the floor only. I actually thought about that...just buying the fronts.

As for the trunk...I know we're all fans of the Mustang here but that is a piss poor design the way a piece of particle board just loosely sits over the spare wheel well!! Definitely need a cargo mat off some sort back there. Not sure I'll spend the $150 or whatever the Weathertech trunk mat goes for.

-Emt1581
The factory rubber mats actually cover the rear floor pretty well, so I figured it was pointless buying the rear Weathertechs, especially since they aren't cheap and I rarely have anyone in the back seats. American Muscle does sell Weathertechs, and depending where you are in PA, you can go to their shop and pick them up. They give a discount for in shop purchases, but I was able to find them cheaper online. The plastic in the trunk scuffs really easily too so be careful, I scuffed mine with the cardboard box while I was putting my Roush axle-backs in the trunk after I picked them up at AM.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The factory rubber mats actually cover the rear floor pretty well, so I figured it was pointless buying the rear Weathertechs, especially since they aren't cheap and I rarely have anyone in the back seats. American Muscle does sell Weathertechs, and depending where you are in PA, you can go to their shop and pick them up. They give a discount for in shop purchases, but I was able to find them cheaper online. The plastic in the trunk scuffs really easily too so be careful, I scuffed mine with the cardboard box while I was putting my Roush axle-backs in the trunk after I picked them up at AM.
Hmm...AM is only an hour south of me. Good to know for the future. But if I can find them cheaper online I'd just do that.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Sponsored