Sponsored

Flat Rock Assembly Plant Trip Report

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
No matter what Ford does it will never be enough for some. I'm sure Extensive Testing and Tuning have been done to give Each Mustang, 4, 6, or 8 the sound 90% of the Buyers will Expect. For the rest Ford Racing and the Aftermarket will offer a wide selection of choices to Tune the Exhaust Note to their liking.
Sponsored

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
Question... were they led signature lamps or a fluorescent light tube... last time I checked.. led does not flicker with video as I have done many times... but fluorescent will exactly in that manner

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
The Signature Lighting in the Headlights (Gills) and Tail Lights are both LED Behind a Frosted Light Diffuser. I'm not sure what's causing the Flickering. Maybe someone else can explain that.

Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
No matter what Ford does it will never be enough for some. I'm sure Extensive Testing and Tuning have been done to give Each Mustang, 4, 6, or 8 the sound 90% of the Buyers will Expect. For the rest Ford Racing and the Aftermarket will offer a wide selection of choices to Tune the Exhaust Note to their liking.
Listen for the exhaust:

[ame]

Ryudo83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard EB PP 6-speed
It hurts my brain to think that someone is eventually going to put an aftermarket diarrhea sounding exhaust on the 4 banger.

i would highly recommend checking out Focus ST or Fiesta ST exhaust videos on youtube. You'd be suprised how nice (in my opinion) some of them sound especially the borlas

Sponsored

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
Reason I asked because I know for a fact that the tail lamps were not flickering... fog lamps are also led but I have not seen anything implying the signature lamp was led thus the flickering

petraman

Now with more MPGs!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf
i would highly recommend checking out Focus ST or Fiesta ST exhaust videos on youtube. You'd be suprised how nice (in my opinion) some of them sound especially the borlas
Adding to that, even if you like the exhausts on youtube they're even better in person... Very deep growl and not at all ricey (although I'm sure there are some out there that are).

Here's one of my favorites:
[ame]

If I wasn't planning on getting the 'stang, it would be on my car right now.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
The Signature Lighting in the Headlights (Gills) and Tail Lights are both LED Behind a Frosted Light Diffuser. I'm not sure what's causing the Flickering. Maybe someone else can explain that.
Probably an issue to do with electric current frequency powering the LEDs and not matching with the shutter speed of the camera.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
It will be interesting to hear the EcoBoost at full song in stock form. The sound is a big part of the experience for me. On my stock 2010 GT, I had also thought the sound was a bit quiet, which is why I got aftermarket mufflers.

With the changes to the exhaust (resonator in the system), it could very well be that there is new dynamic to consider now.

Also, what I noticed also on my 2010 GT is that after several thousand miles it was "seasoned" and become louder.
Yep. Sounds is going to be one for me also. Right now, after all these months of videos and pictures and seeing it in person, I've changed my decision and will be getting a GT. I just think the GT is going to bring the better experience and I feel the EB is going to be all over the place.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Adding to that, even if you like the exhausts on youtube they're even better in person... Very deep growl and not at all ricey (although I'm sure there are some out there that are).

Here's one of my favorites:

If I wasn't planning on getting the 'stang, it would be on my car right now.
Yep, nothing wrong with that note. I wouldn't say it's that deep, but it's not over the top ricey that's for sure.

Like the trainer said to me, the EB is going to sound like a Japanese/Korean 4 cylinder racer and the GT is going to sound like a muscle car.

Sponsored

Robinson02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black 5.0
The only good sounding exhaust was the very last one IMO. They all 3 sound like a Honda Civic.

Feeshta

Threads
Reaction score
They probably have a regulator that runs at a certain frequency, and the flicker comes from the interaction of that frequency with the sampling rate of the camera. LEDs react extremely quickly to changes in voltage, so if they are using a regulator to knock down the intensity and extend lifespan, the light output would actually vary in regular pattern over time. This wouldn't be visible to the naked eye, just as you don't get flicker with frame rates above around 24 on film, but the camera could magnify the effect if several samples in a row happen to line up with dim instants for the LED.

LEDs definitely do have flicker issues when filmed. In fact they are among the more prone to this that I have seen.

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
Probably an issue to do with electric current frequency powering the LEDs and not matching with the shutter speed of the camera.
For the record, LED is powered through a digital modulator, regardless of the power input to the modulator, powers the LED which is the same with household LED, you will not see the frequency phase in either... all else runs off 50/60 hz which is why you often see a flicker

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
The flicker is usually a result of the PWM controller, which purposefully turns the LED on/off quickly. This reduces heat build-up and substantially increases its duty cycle (lifetime). This 'flashing' can also be used to control the brightness.

None of this is distinguishable to the naked eye (usually), but the shutter on a camera periodically captures frames where the LED is in its 'off' state, which is why it appears to flicker in a video.

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
Also forgot to mention that the sampling rate of the camera or cell phone can make lights seem to flicker... lower quality video only amplifies it.... I tried it with my cell phone on the flourescent tube light and it did flicker slightly but not as bad as in the video... LED lamps I have in the house did not flicker at all Using a Galaxy S4 though it records in HD
Sponsored