Sponsored

Fellow Automatic Drivers, Why Did You Choose It?

Swayse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt auto
Traded my stick evo for the first mustang gt we bought. Made sense, we could both drive it, and I had plans for fi. Wife loves it!! I really liked it too, but I was bored out of my mind driving. So, I gave the auto to my wife and bought myself a pp, love it.

Now, if they mount the paddles to the steering column, I could go back to auto.
Sponsored

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
Because kids....

No seriously, I have two children in car seats and I do morning drop off. It's already bad enough that I'm practically eating the steering wheel in the morning, so the last thing I'd want is to eat my left knee as well.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Favorite thing to do, eating an ice cream cone while driving.

Sponsored

crowemag55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium Kona Blue, PP1, A10, Active Exhaust
This is my third successive Mustang, 1st with an Auto trans. 1st GT was a 2000 with Tremec 5 speed. Previous one was a 2011 GT Premium MT-82. Never did like the crunchy shifts from 1st to 2nd. Had it pop out of gear one time, and at about 17.5K miles, it started getting crunchier between most shifts so started the process of looking at the S550. Of course I drove a manual first and it shifted like butta! Drove the Auto later that day and found that the Sport+ Mode and paddles really did make it a fun car to drive! Since Ford never stated that they had resolved the problems with the MT-82 for 2015, I thought, ok first car in 35 years to have an Auto here we go! (Not including company cars during that time). Still look forward to driving it each day, (when not riding the GoldWing), and so no regrets! Like others if Ford would take ownership of the MT-82 problems, or go back to a Tremec, I'd certainly consider a manual again..

Reactions: GTP

whysoblu

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.whysoblu.com
Vehicle(s)
2006 GT Premium, 2015 GT Premium 50th Ann. Edition

Swann

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 'Premium'. 'CO'
I lost my leg due to a service related injury so I point to my prosthetic and 'Say no more'! LOL

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
Id like to know what the people who say the manual are comparing it to when concluding it sucks lol. Mine feels like my old S2000 gear box which was considered one of the best made in its time. I sense a bit of jealousy going on there where people have to resort to some extreme rationalization to justify their purchase.

That being said, I almost wish I bought the auto. Its amazing how things have changed... Auto cars are now a slight bit faster.

Sponsored

PhillMcKraken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
That being said, I almost wish I bought the auto. Its amazing how things have changed... Auto cars are now a slight bit faster.
I wish it was a DCT, I had the one they put in the 2012 focus and I freakin LOVED that tranny. Tons of people hated it though, enough that I got $1500 discount on trading it in for the 'stang :D

Gonna be real upset if the 10 speed is in the '17 model though, well not really just jealous :)

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I lost my leg due to a service related injury so I point to my prosthetic and 'Say no more'! LOL
Service-related injury here as well. I still have my leg, but with nerve damage preventing me from lifting my right foot up from the ankle, it's just as useless. I need the left foot for brake duty. Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
I wish it was a DCT, I had the one they put in the 2012 focus and I freakin LOVED that tranny. Tons of people hated it though, enough that I got $1500 discount on trading it in for the 'stang :D

Gonna be real upset if the 10 speed is in the '17 model though, well not really just jealous :)
I had the 2015 Acura TLX with the famed 8 speed double clutch auto.

Its a trud.

Here's the skinny. They are very fast auto's... amazingly fast shifting.

But what happens is that you are going 60 mph and its sitting in 8th and you go to stomp the pedal and it shifts to 7th and the RPM's go up 500 RPM... it then shifts to 6th and goes up 500 rpm and then finally 5th and it goes up 500 RPM and you finally hit the powerband.... 3 seconds after stomping the pedal. You sure are pretty ticked off at that point.

The Tranny seems like its always in a state of not knowing where to be in gears if you have a heavy foot, its friggen terrible.

Find a good old fast 6 speed auto.

wag4513

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertable
I wish it was a DCT, I had the one they put in the 2012 focus and I freakin LOVED that tranny. Tons of people hated it though, enough that I got $1500 discount on trading it in for the 'stang
I had a 2012 Focus with the DCT. The transmission crashed in the middle of I-635 in Dallas at 4:30 in the afternoon. Couldn't get out of the car because of the traffic. The police pushed the car off the road. It was towed to a dealer and they fixed it. I got rid of the car about a month later. It only had 30,000 miles.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
I had a 2012 Focus with the DCT. The transmission crashed in the middle of I-635 in Dallas at 4:30 in the afternoon. Couldn't get out of the car because of the traffic. The police pushed the car off the road. It was towed to a dealer and they fixed it. I got rid of the car about a month later. It only had 30,000 miles.
I have 59,900 miles on 12 Focus. It has had so many problems with that damn DCT transmission. It has had all updates/recalls TSBs done to it. It works just fine, it shifts smooth as can be the only problem is it is so damn noisy and even after all the updates the noises I here are considered "normal"
Sponsored