Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
My car is a daily driver in which I spend maybe 5% of my drive above 3000 RPM. If I decide to open it up I'll already be on a highway or back road, not in stop-n-go traffic. I don't drag race....so heat soak means nothing to me.
Sponsored

Department Of Boost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff & Things
If there is any proclivity for heat soak, you will be heat soaking the car if you live in the south and daily drive. 100% guaranteed. Stop and go traffic in high heat is far worse for temps than any situation where air is flowing, including racing.
Road course work is where you will see the worst IAT's.

My car is a daily driver in which I spend maybe 5% of my drive above 3000 RPM. If I decide to open it up I'll already be on a highway or back road, not in stop-n-go traffic. I don't drag race....so heat soak means nothing to me.
You're not giving heat soak the "respect" that it deserves. Most people don't. Until they find themselves suffering from it and down on power. Heat soak is a constant problem for most blower kits.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
How many people use all 600+ horsepower of their Whipple/Procharger/"insert blower name" on a daily basis?

I welcome some civil discussion on how a daily driver that doesn't drag race or spend much time in high RPMs under load is going to be significantly hurt by heat soak? How is the engine pulling a few degrees of timing going to affect the car when it's being driven at 45 mph to and from work.

Department Of Boost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff & Things
How many people use all 600+ horsepower of their Whipple/Procharger/"insert blower name" on a daily basis?

I welcome some civil discussion on how a daily driver that doesn't drag race or spend much time in high RPMs under load is going to be significantly hurt by heat soak? How is the engine pulling a few degrees of timing going to affect the car when it's being driven at 45 mph to and from work.
A lot of kits will heat soak just driving around like a normal person. Or be so close to the point where timing is pulled that you won't get more than 3-4sec under power before it does pull timing.

You won't have timing pulled when driving normally. There engine load isn't there so the ECU won't see a need to pull it. But, if you do go WOT it will pull timing and you will be down on power.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
If I go FI, I think I'll also get a water-meth system, but not tune to it, just to help keep things cool. I'm sure there's a reason those kits aren't discussed more, or aren't more popular, but I don't know why they aren't.

Sponsored

ptoemmes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible, White, PP 6sp
A lot of kits will heat soak just driving around like a normal person. Or be so close to the point where timing is pulled that you won't get more than 3-4sec under power before it does pull timing.

You won't have timing pulled when driving normally. There engine load isn't there so the ECU won't see a need to pull it. But, if you do go WOT it will pull timing and you will be down on power.
If, as it appears, daily stop-n-go driving is harder on a blower wrt heat soak than most racing I wonder how effective either or both of Whipple's high-flow pump and dual fans - dual fans noisy as heck I understand - mitigate for this kind of driving over other PD options.

While it is suspected Edelbrock may be more susceptible to heat soak under these conditions we just don't know yet.

Whipple? KB?

ProCharger is slipping from my short list though I do like the "simplicity" and cost of the kit.

Pete

Department Of Boost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff & Things
If I go FI, I think I'll also get a water-meth system, but not tune to it, just to help keep things cool. I'm sure there's a reason those kits aren't discussed more, or aren't more popular, but I don't know why they aren't.
They're a giant PITA that's why.:)

And IMO one should maximize the effectiveness of current systems (intercooler system) before adding more systems. I'm all about KISS (keep it simple stupid).:thumbsup:

Department Of Boost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff & Things
If, as it appears, daily stop-n-go driving is harder on a blower wrt heat soak than most racing I wonder how effective either or both of Whipple's high-flow pump and dual fans - dual fans noisy as heck I understand - mitigate for this kind of driving over other PD options.
Bigger He's, faster pumps and fans do help out quite a bit. The Whipple system is the best I have ever seen out of the big companies. At least they're going after the problem. most ignore it and pretend it isn't there.

We've come up with a system that kicks high IAT's right in the nads. We went full bonkers on all the variables. It's not available on S550's yet though.

While it is suspected Edelbrock may be more susceptible to heat soak under these conditions we just don't know yet.
I don't suspect anything. I know.;)

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
In my experience meth injection isn't a PITA. Back in my Evo days I had quite a few friends who ran meth injection setups that they installed and tuned in a relatively short amount of time, usually within 6-8 hours.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Ok DOB...we get it, you don't like the Edelbrock kit. And since you're new to this forum it's starting to look like your presence here is to push the products you like to get your foot in the door. In fact you've made no attempt to introduce yourself to the community nor have you shown any credibility with your company other than "this is how it is because I say so".

Of course I may be wrong...but you really haven't done anything in this thread but trash on the design of the Edelbrock system. You may have experience with their "past" systems however until we start seeing some data with the CURRENT system with comparisons to what's available now...how bout we focus this thread in that direction.

Sponsored

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
I compliment all for an, at times, spirited, but always respectful back-n-forth and please keep it up especially when the E-Force kit is released with numbers and from the early adopters (of which I may or may not be one).

I've said it before, but bless all of you youngsters (I am 65, wife 62) who want to drive a streetable FI car to the strip and run 9s (or better) and drive it home, to-from work, etc. I am behind you all the way and you are welcome to crush me on the street :cheers:

But that's not me - anymore - the 9s strip part.

From this discussion and others, keeping the STB on my 2016 PP 6sp vert is a much lower priority and will not be the ultimate deciding factor. But it will be a PD blower.

BTW - if it isn't obvious the Eaton TVS 2300 is roots and not twin screw.

Top priority for me is part throttle increase in power (torque mostly) over stock.

2 or 3 is cost, including add on for a warranty, is key - to me - too. Edelbrocks is included, but you can bet NOT FREE just like a new car warranty is NOT FREE. The cost is in there. Yes, I realize the start date thing ;)

Unclear what the warranty options/cost are from Whipple, but need to find out.

2 or 3 is blower noise - I have a wife.

Boy, don't get me started on what has transpired since I put on the FlowMaster Street cat back, which I love, (she was bummed the stock exhaust sounder wimpy so I acted), but had to tone it down a tad with insulation. Maybe two Mustangs are better than one. But I digress...

I will of course be attentive to what comes back about IATs (on the street) on the E-Force.

My go to install shop is Steeda Pompano and I have asked them to evaluate the new E-Force unit and maybe become an Edelbrock vendor/installer. They are, of course, a Whipple certified installer too (primarily) and I am impressed by all the features Dustin has talked about. The features, if not the noise, will certainly work for me.

Sorry, I'm old(er)(ish) :shrug:

Pete

PS
My daughter and son-in-law have a 2016 Audi S7 and he came within a whisker of an RS7, but second kid is on the way. I realize fruit and vegetables, but a tad rich for Grandpa's blood.
Sounds like you and I are looking for a lot of the same things in regards to our cars. Ours is actually our company car. It is driven Monday thru Friday to and from our office by my wife which is a whopping 14 mile round trip... it has maybe been on the highway 4 or 5 times in the year that we've owned it. Other than that I use it go pick up lunch on weekdays and short but spirited drives sometimes in the evening or weekends when we need something from the store. Funny thing is lately we've been forgetting or needing something about 3 or 4 times a week :D....but I'm always more than happy to run to the store instead of putting anyone else out ;)

The car is fun to drive stock however there are some nice sections of roads in our area that just beg for a good hard 2nd thru 4th gear pull on occasion :). I would like to add a SC and nice set of wheels and tires to it and be done. It has a Ford Racing touring catback which is perfect for me because it's there when you're on it and gone when you're not.

One other thing we're looking for is the possibility of returning it to stock when we decide to trade it in. Seems the GT350 bug has bitten my wife and I a little but we probably wouldn't do anything for a couple of years. Hopefully they will make a vert for 2017...

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
They're a giant PITA that's why.:)

And IMO one should maximize the effectiveness of current systems (intercooler system) before adding more systems. I'm all about KISS (keep it simple stupid).:thumbsup:
I had that suspicion -- it is one piece that looks like it might be fun to tinker with, if all else works as expected, and is reliable. I watch a lot of YouTube, and subscribe to "That Dude in Blue" -- he recently Procharged his Mustang (it's a 13 or 14, I think -- can't remember) -- got the gears turning -- like others on here, I like the simplicity of the Procharger kit -- but it also seems like nothing is actually that simple...

Department Of Boost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff & Things
In my experience meth injection isn't a PITA. Back in my Evo days I had quite a few friends who ran meth injection setups that they installed and tuned in a relatively short amount of time, usually within 6-8 hours.
That's a lot bigger PITA than no meth system.:D

1BadAss16CS

Light'em up!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deep Impact Blue CS
The problem I see with this discussion is IAT and heat soak isn't that big of a problem IF you are not trying to squeeze every ounce of horsepower from your engine. Some of the guys here are hardly worried about it and I can guarantee it will not be an issue. Why? See below.

I had a 03 Terminator that had the eaton blower. When I first starting doing mods I upgraded the pulley, tuned, and cat-back. I drove that car over an hour in mid summer to a racetrack. Ran 2 passes on the 1/4 mile ran back to back low 11s on street tires then drove home. If the eaton can do that.... I would hardly worry about this Edelbrock blower being anything to worry about for a guy just looking for a small bump in power.

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
I agree that meth systems are not a PITA. I am about to install one on my car with snow performance safe injection. The install might take 3 hours. A system that is a PITA to install is aquamist.
Sponsored