Sponsored

ecoboost vs hemi?

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Challenger and Charger R/T's, with the 5.7 and 3.06 rear gears...pretty much will perform within about 1.5 tenths of each other..they're similar.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I hate to say it guys but regardless of what's faster in the 1/4 mile, very few people would pick the EB over a Challenger R/T for which car they'd like to own. While EB is a wonderful machine (though I've yet to drive one), the panache of a V8 is pretty hard to beat, even if it's not the fastest thing on the road.
What are the relative costs? I remember shopping a GT vs. a V8 Challenger and the Challenger wasn't even close in price. IIRC online I thought I could get within $2500, but when I went to the Chrysler dealer they were completely outrageous. It's been a long time so maybe it's changed, but I liked the Challenger a lot until I saw the price. Then I didn't want one at all.

I'd like to own a Ferrari and would pick it over a Mustang EB, but that's all theoretical - not practical.

Also, Dodge needs to refresh the styling badly. The Challenger hasn't changed for YEARS. Sure the body style is nice - 7 years ago. Now it's very tired. The Mustang is a lot fresher design wise.

chriseco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 silver 6spd base ecoboost
Online is usaully used but the sticker price for a RT challenger is 32k and some change I beleave on a avg month if there's no specials or so fourth they take 2k -3k off sticker

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
What are the relative costs? I remember shopping a GT vs. a V8 Challenger and the Challenger wasn't even close in price. IIRC online I thought I could get within $2500, but when I went to the Chrysler dealer they were completely outrageous. It's been a long time so maybe it's changed, but I liked the Challenger a lot until I saw the price. Then I didn't want one at all.

I'd like to own a Ferrari and would pick it over a Mustang EB, but that's all theoretical - not practical.

Also, Dodge needs to refresh the styling badly. The Challenger hasn't changed for YEARS. Sure the body style is nice - 7 years ago. Now it's very tired. The Mustang is a lot fresher design wise.
They just refreshed it for 2015, and has been almost universally praised, both interior and exterior. It also got the A8 transmission and new infotainment system.

The Scat Pack in particular has been pulling more than a few former S197 owners over who disliked the S550 refresh...Five Oh Brian for example.

Tm@c1965

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 GT Mustang, 2014 SRT Challenger
I disagree on styling

[QUOTE

Also, Dodge needs to refresh the styling badly. The Challenger hasn't changed for YEARS. Sure the body style is nice - 7 years ago. Now it's very tired. The Mustang is a lot fresher design wise.[/QUOTE]

Dodge sells MORE Challengers each passing year. That is because people like the design. For many of us, the timeless designs of muscle cars built between 1967-1971 are "ageless" designs. That is why those years of Mustangs, Camaro's and Challengers are the most desired....and the most resto-modded. Many of us do not get bored with that design formula.

There is not a huge demand to resto-mod 1974-2003 muscle/pony cars (vice the drag market of pure race cars). The very reason that muscle cars became popular "again," is because of the 2005 Retro Mustang. People loved it. The design is "timeless."

There are different pieces of the demand market that the Big 3 manufacturers seem to be targeting for their muscle car segment.

GM - Camaro started off "Least Retro," and completely departed from that marketing effort with their "cartoonish ricer-looking" Camaro. They seem to be focused on overall performance at a reasonable price-point. "Looks" is not a priority for Camaro owners. This is the car for those who want, "tired designs changed" (but fail to realize that their new ride will look VERY Tired in 8 years). Won't matter to these guys because the "employed" guys will sell the car in 3 years if they are able to. The remainder of the Camaro owners are either:

1. The "mullet wearing, "Joe Dirt" types (named Cletus or Jeeter), who will not realize that their car is tired looking after they continuously drive it for 22 years.

2. The "gold chain/wife beater T-shirt wearing" -- "Guido's", with names like Tony Carboni who will also drive the car for 24 years (with primer paint spots everywhere).

Ford - Values retro aspects and keeps them in their design, while evolving slowly away from retro. They are focused on a balance between good looks and performance at a price-point available to the most people. This is why the car is the only one that had 52 years of non-stop production.

1. GT's are offered for guys who love torgue, HP and are "Great Americans."

2. Ford offers a "Cheap performance modern TUNER" for the Millenials who live in mom's basement; work at Dunkin Donuts; have an affinity for video games/Ricers/sports drinks-- and refer to each other as "Brah"-- The ECO Stang!

Fiat - Fiat Challengers are the niche market. The smallest of the Big 3, knows that they will never sell as many cars as GM or Ford. They intend to sell as many as they can by offering what GM and Ford DO NOT: A Big modern comfy pure muscle car that stays pure to the retro theme. It is made for those who would--- rather have an old 71 Challenger that has been restomodded to the point where it offers modern--- comfort/performance/reliability---but cannot afford to. These guys don't care as much about "curvy track times" because all of the roads where they live are mostly strait (CONUS). They want a big car that has BIG Torque--and Looks good. If Dodge makes them small and modern looking, they will buy old cars and restomod, or get a modern Stang instead of a Fiat. They will never own an ugly ricer looking SS that has a "toilet bowl lid" for a hood -- and no visibility -- no room for a beer belly.

1. Challenger owner are either Fat so they need a big car.

2. Tall with 3 kids and do not have money for both a car and SUV/Truck.

3. Great Americans who can buy a Challenger (or whatever) and get the Truck too.

4. Old, Fat and have money for a big car and other toys.

Last edited:

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I'd buy a Scat Pack R/T in a heartbeat if I could..unfortunately even used they're still pulling $34,000+..simply because owners aren't letting go of them so supply is very low.

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
personally i hate the challenger. I dont find it attractive at all. The new chargers look sick though. I'd love to have a 6.4 (or a hellcat). Besides the fact that i love the way the mustang looks more than the competition (and almost always have throughout the years) I wont get a charger because as far as i know they dont offer a manual gearbox. I'd be more than happy to be corrected/proven wrong.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
personally i hate the challenger. I dont find it attractive at all. The new chargers look sick though. I'd love to have a 6.4 (or a hellcat). Besides the fact that i love the way the mustang looks more than the competition (and almost always have throughout the years) I wont get a charger because as far as i know they dont offer a manual gearbox. I'd be more than happy to be corrected/proven wrong.
Charger's are automatic only.

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP

Sponsored
OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
It's all a matter of perspective and preference.

I feel just as much engagement with the car with an auto as I do rowing gears.

I agree I just enjoy rowing more

LightningBlue17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost, Lightning Blue
In regards to EVERYONE quoted above, i said charger not challenger.

Also id prefer the eb over a challener rt anyway i dont like the body style and i love the mustangs.
I'll take the blame for that - I saw all the back and fourth about the challenger, forgot the original post was about a charger.

My apologies.
:doh:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
They just refreshed it for 2015, and has been almost universally praised, both interior and exterior. It also got the A8 transmission and new infotainment system.

The Scat Pack in particular has been pulling more than a few former S197 owners over who disliked the S550 refresh...Five Oh Brian for example.
I can't tell there were any changes. It looks so similar I'd bet 99% of non-Challenger owners couldn't tell the difference.

edit: for the charger - I do like the new front end, but the car has too many doors for me to be interested in it.

Last edited:

Siggy550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
I'll give you the road story. When I had my EcoBoost I was traveling down a fairly empty interstate in MO and some guy in a Charger Hemi, definitely older body style, pulled up on me and he wanted to mess with me. We slowed down to around 30-40 a few times and honked horns. The EB pulled away every time. I was stock, obviously have no idea about his Charger as we never pulled over to meet.

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
For what it's worth, I roasted a stock v6 challenger several times today gave him a 2 length head start and easily blew past lol
Sponsored