Sponsored

Ecoboost top speed, what breaks first?

Skenneyjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost 6MT, PP, recaros
I'm sure you've all seen the video from a couple years ago where a guy in a 2011 V6 Mustang had a tune that eliminated the limiter and then the driveshaft came apart at 135. Original limiter was 112.

The 2015 non pp Ecoboost looks to be limited at around 112, pp Ecoboost limited at ~145. I've had mine up to 140 and it pulled strong on the way there, definitely has more in there even stock. Most tuners can disable the limiter. My pp Ecoboost has z rated tires already. Where are we thinking it'll have issues first if the limiter was disabled and somebody was taking it to 160? Or maybe more?
Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Can't compare the live axle on the s197 to the IRS on the S550. With every axle movement the s197 puts alot of strain on the u joint at the diff. The IRS means the drive shaft angle barely changes. IIRC there were exactly 3 drive shaft failures on S197s all lowered, which puts a permanent angle on the u joint which is very bad. 2 of them were strapped on the dyno (even more angle) with heavy FI setups. I've had my Ecoboost to 155 mph several times (see top speed thread for pics) with 0 issues. The problem was blown out of proportion for the S197 and the underlying cause is engineered out of the S550

Torsen

Scott Wilson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MEB 6MT
I'm sure you've all seen the video from a couple years ago where a guy in a 2011 V6 Mustang had a tune that eliminated the limiter and then the driveshaft came apart at 135. Original limiter was 112.

The 2015 non pp Ecoboost looks to be limited at around 112, pp Ecoboost limited at ~145. I've had mine up to 140 and it pulled strong on the way there, definitely has more in there even stock. Most tuners can disable the limiter. My pp Ecoboost has z rated tires already. Where are we thinking it'll have issues first if the limiter was disabled and somebody was taking it to 160? Or maybe more?
Ive had my base well into 130mph no issues

Can't compare the live axle on the s197 to the IRS on the S550. With every axle movement the s197 puts alot of strain on the u joint at the diff. The IRS means the drive shaft angle barely changes. IIRC there were exactly 3 drive shaft failures on S197s all lowered, which puts a permanent angle on the u joint which is very bad. 2 of them were strapped on the dyno (even more angle) with heavy FI setups. I've had my Ecoboost to 155 mph several times (see top speed thread for pics) with 0 issues. The problem was blown out of proportion for the S197 and the underlying cause is engineered out of the S550

THIS^^ one of the many reasons IRS is better
Sponsored