Drop of oil on oil filter

embraceentropy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
So, I am having a similar issue. I changed my oil this past weekend using the MC filter. After starting it and letting it idle, I crawled back under and noticed a small drop of oil about to fall off the filter. I thought it must have been from the oil that was around the bore when I primed the filter. I roughly wiped off the filter and went along with my day. After reading this post, I crawled back under my car this afternoon to double check and behold there was a drop in the cover and drop about to fall off the filter. This was after about 10 miles of driving since the oil change. I noticed a film of oil right around the seal at the low point of the filter's circumference and thoroughly wiped everything down. I let it idle for about 5 minutes while watching it and I didn't see anything trying to come out.

The issue is that I have to make a 6 hour round trip (mostly highway) tomorrow in this car and I don't have any time to drive the car around and re-check the leak in the meantime. Thoughts?

Also, I'm second guessing how much I tightened the filter even though I'm pretty sure I went 1/2 turn after handtight. Is there any harm in just crawling under there and tightening it about a 1/4 turn or so without backing it off? Should it be done cold or hot?
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Also, I'm second guessing how much I tightened the filter even though I'm pretty sure I went 1/2 turn after handtight. Is there any harm in just crawling under there and tightening it about a 1/4 turn or so without backing it off? Should it be done cold or hot?
I tighten oil filters 3/4 turn after the seal contacts the mounting base. If it was mine, I would try for another 1/4 turn without loosening it first when the engine is cold.

embraceentropy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I had to make an impromptu 40 mile round trip in a combination of highway and stop-go traffic. I checked when I got home and everything was dry. I think I'm going to take my 300 mile journey tomorrow as-is and check for leaks when I get home. ::fingers crossed::

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Yeah a half turn may allow seepage a little.. I did my first oil change a few weeks ago. Bosch filter took a whole turn past gasket contact. Thats hand tightening only. Left it at that but been wanting to get under there and open access door just to know. Ive never had a filter allow a full hand turn past rubber contact. Bosch must have a softer seal.

NewEngPatsFan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You may have actually over tightened the filter. The filter can is not wider than the gasket mounting surface. I had the same problem on a 2011 V6 - I was getting a drip after my first oil change. I realized I had tightened the filter (by hand) such that the can contacted the mounting surface and distorted, causing the gasket to leak. I backed the filter off enough to slip a .020" guage between the can and the mounting surface and it never leaked again.

Sponsored

embraceentropy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
When I say hand tight, I mean as tight as I could get it by hand using a rag to gain extra grip. Then and additional 1/2 turn with a tool.

I am going to leak check tomorrow after my 340 mile journey today.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I say hand tight, I mean as tight as I could get it by hand using a rag to gain extra grip. Then and additional 1/2 turn with a tool.
Then it very well could be too tight - could be over 1-1/4 turn tight. I can usually get 3/4 of a turn on an oil filter just by hand. Need to make note of when the gasket first hits the base, then go 3/4 turn from there.

embraceentropy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Everything was dry during my leak check, so I reckon I am good to go. I will see how hard the filter is to remove to determine whether or not to change my method and reduce the torque applied to the filter. Thank you for your input!

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Everything was dry during my leak check, so I reckon I am good to go. I will see how hard the filter is to remove to determine whether or not to change my method and reduce the torque applied to the filter. Thank you for your input!
Your filter is not overtightened. Now a full turn and a half would be demanding on the seal. When removing you should be able to get it started by wrench.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Shenkey58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT FASTBACK PERFORMANCE PACK 6 SPEED-WHITE
Hey folks,Here is an update to this posting .I appreciate all ideas you all had.I have been a mechanic since 1974 and have done 1000's of oil and filter changes and as you all know it is not rocket science to do that work but there are guidelines to follow and most of all common sense. Anyway,I had the car to my Ford dealer and they replaced the oil cooler/filter adapter assembly.There was an area where the oil was seeping where it mounts to engine block,just enough to cause the problem.There are no service bulletins on problem and it is the first one that they have had to replace.There service was excellent.I will put a plug in here for them-Maguire's Ford Of Hershey,Pa.We have several vehicles from there. I have always been happy with their sales and service,hope you all have a good Ford dealer also.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Hey folks,Here is an update to this posting .I appreciate all ideas you all had.I have been a mechanic since 1974 and have done 1000's of oil and filter changes and as you all know it is not rocket science to do that work but there are guidelines to follow and most of all common sense. Anyway,I had the car to my Ford dealer and they replaced the oil cooler/filter adapter assembly.There was an area where the oil was seeping where it mounts to engine block, just enough to cause the problem.There are no service bulletins on problem and it is the first one that they have had to replace.There service was excellent.I will put a plug in here for them-Maguire's Ford Of Hershey,Pa.We have several vehicles from there. I have always been happy with their sales and service,hope you all have a good Ford dealer also.
OP, Did it look anything like this?
20191108_165425.jpg

20191108_165642.jpg

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^^ Looks like it's leaking between the block and the oil cooler assembly. See post #26.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
I know this thread is 5 years old but for the new posts asking, check the oil pressure sensor just above the filter. I’ve seen several back out a bit and create this exact issue. The oil pressure sensor is marked with a white line indicator that will show if it’s backed out at all.
Sponsored