Sponsored

Die hard Manual guys get in here!

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Do you have a source for that number? Seems high.

Either way, if the auto is faster all around, the additional power loss is somewhat irrelevant, no?
this.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
the 10 speed is going to be ... faster around the road course
Be careful here. Any road course lap time improvement from an AT over an MT in otherwise identical cars is going to come out of the forward acceleration times down the straights . . . IOW, the drag racing part. An AT is not going to make the car corner with more lateral g's and is very likely to still be a bit inferior to the MT car under braking.

Norm

King Jackmode

HA! HA!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 GT, 2016 S550 EB
So, you can either buy the unproven transmission (in this platform), or you can buy the GARBAGE transmission.

That sucks.

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
If I could swap a 10sp auto into my 2015 GT with PP it would be done in a heartbeat. The MT82 is best suited to be melted down and make a cast aluminum set of Honda Civic wheels out of it. The dual clutch deal isnt going to make it any better. Its a gigantic pile of garbage. Go with the slushbox.

Sponsored

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
OK you guys are pulling me back from the void, I really don't care about the auto cruise control for traffic situations, I only use cruise on road trips.

So what are any of you manual guys doing for remote start, is there some third part option out there?
I send the wife out to start it up. She's ok with it until I make the "weep weep" sound :headbang: (edit, So this got the piss slapped outta me... With it)

On a serious note, I had a 2003 gt convertible auto... Loved going topless, but hated the lack of shifting. To me it really took away a huge part of the car to me. I still miss the convertible especially in the fall, but don't miss the car itself. Speed etc, don't care if I don't enjoy driving it.

Last edited:

King Jackmode

HA! HA!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 GT, 2016 S550 EB
Ya, but that 50hp loss is pretty significant. That's a bit over 10% net power loss.
Amazed to see that mental retardation is still alive and well on automotive forums.:lol:

Jcode68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
1968 DHG Fastback and 2019 DHG Bullitt
From a guy with a prosthetic left leg, I say go manual. I went about 5 years with auto before I discovered I could still drive a manual. For me, that was a boring 5 years of driving. To each his own though. Get whatever makes you happy.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Autos have come a long way in the last 20 years and now it looks like they may be converting this die hard manual guy and I am wondering if I am alone or if there is anyone else out there in the same boat.
I'll put it this way . . . we haven't owned a car with an automatic transmission in 45 years in any of our cars. Even our experience with Maxima #1 (which insisted on digesting its input shaft bearing at 50,000 mile intervals) didn't sour us on doing our own shifting. My left knee hasn't had full range of motion since 1986, and that hasn't gotten in the way either.

Quite possibly insisting on a MT has led to our rather lengthy buying cycle, as it's hard to give up a car that's still fun to drive when fun to drive was of high priority for buying it in the first place. The cars in the following list weren't all that fast, just decently so for what they were. But they've all been fun.

1972 Pinto, 2-liter, 4-speed
1979 Chevy Malibu, 305 4-barrel, 4-speed
1987 Maxima, 3.0L, 5-speed
1995 626, 2.5L, 5 speed (now belongs to our oldest grand-daughter, who loves it)
2001 Maxima, 3.0L, 5-speed
2008 Mustang GT, 4.6L, 5-speed
2010 Legacy 2.5GT, 2.5L turbo-4, 6-speed

I realize that automatics have come a long ways since the days of stock 2-speed autos and Hydramatics that used fluid couplings rather than torque converters (I've driven both, owned one of the latter). The sound track of the A10 running on road courses promises much - it does not seem to have any of the dead give-away sound of any other automatic on upshift. You know, the sound that literally screams "this guy is driving an automatic" even when you can't see the car or truck in question.

I know the potential for quicker acceleration belongs with the AT (hell, I could have told you that almost 50 years ago - honest), but that's the easy measure of performance and driving to understand and (more or less) achieve. It's only 1/3 of the number of performances that driving in general uses and in street driving arguably the least important of the three. It's the associated noise and excitement that elevates it higher in recognition by so many enthusiasts, not the usefulness.

It still comes down to this . . . when you get everything right with a MT, whether you're at 8/10ths out on a road course at a track day or just hustling a bit down a country road or through an Interstate entrance or exit ramp, you know that credit for a driving job well done is yours. All yours. When you can do it consistently, that's your skill. Not some programmer's coding logic from a year or two ago and a thousand miles away.

Norm

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
I rolled raced a gt 5.0 with 3.55gears with my GT 5.0 manual and 3.73gears both stock in all the races we made my car would walk away.
Maybe an auto is more consistent cause it will never miss a gear. Dont know if this is the reason people say autos are faster maybe they dont shift properly fast.
Wouldnt buy a sports car with auto tranny.
Auto tranny for a granny!

Sponsored

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing against auto's but if I'm buying any performance car I'd have to get manual.

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
Also ask yourself this. Why are all the shelbys made with a manual transmission? Also porsche and ferrari customers if you read are dying for manual trannys to come back why is this?
You involve more with your car it makes it more fun with the manual not boring.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I was a die hard manual guy my past 3mustangs, and with the last one being a Tremec magnum xl. My latest stang is a 6r80 auto and I've been converted. If you want to go faster smoother and more consistent with fewer issues then get the 10 speed automatic its leaps and bounds beyond the 6r80. It shifts as quick if not quicker then the porches' and Ferraris and will handle more power without breaking parts! A No brainer!!!!

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Nothing brings greater joy to me than smashing Autos when I can...

Just remember there is always someone faster... so if you're trying to be the fastest you got a long road ahead of you with empty pockets... Just grab the one that brings you the most joy.

but I vote the manual and I'll keep voting Manual till I can't press a clutch again in comfort.

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Nothing brings greater joy to me than smashing Autos when I can...

Just remember there is always someone faster... so if you're trying to be the fastest you got a long road ahead of you with empty pockets... Just grab the one that brings you the most joy.

but I vote the manual and I'll keep voting Manual till I can't press a clutch again in comfort.
So true, I gave up running stop light to stop light years ago. Now I want to know if you can get to Kansas City before me.
Sponsored