Sponsored

Decklid panel options

ronnyek42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT pp2, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak, Ram 3500
Greetings! I've noticed that the little panel with the gt emblem on my car has gotten swirls like crazy, and cracks where the badge goes through. I'm interested in keeping somewhat stock appearing, but want something that is going to be a bit more durable.

I've seen a matte plastic one, I've seen ford performance version that is basically a badge delete, and several carbon fiber options. Honestly what I think would be best would be a carbon fiber piece that isn't high gloss (like some aerospace grade carbon fiber panels I've seen... that incidentally look nothing like what most people put on their cars), or MAYBE the flatblack plastic if it didnt fade and require a ton of maint. I'd want stock badges in it (but I imagine I could drill holes if necessary)

I guess worst case scenario I'll buy oem replacement, I just hate how easily that plastic swirls up and cracks (my car is a garage queen)
Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase

65CrownV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/PP1
Maybe check out having it wrapped? Their products are UV stable and come in a variety of colors and finishes (even flat black). Shouldn't be too expensive.

BlkMach10510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
Greetings! I've noticed that the little panel with the gt emblem on my car has gotten swirls like crazy, and cracks where the badge goes through. I'm interested in keeping somewhat stock appearing, but want something that is going to be a bit more durable.

I've seen a matte plastic one, I've seen ford performance version that is basically a badge delete, and several carbon fiber options. Honestly what I think would be best would be a carbon fiber piece that isn't high gloss (like some aerospace grade carbon fiber panels I've seen... that incidentally look nothing like what most people put on their cars), or MAYBE the flatblack plastic if it didnt fade and require a ton of maint. I'd want stock badges in it (but I imagine I could drill holes if necessary)

I guess worst case scenario I'll buy oem replacement, I just hate how easily that plastic swirls up and cracks (my car is a garage queen)
The mp concepts one does not have weather stripping but the ford performance one does if that concerns you. I do not believe the carbon fiber options do not have weather stripping either.

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
Whatever you do, don't get an overlay plastic panel. They look like crap and don't line up very well. You need to get the existing panel corrected by a detail shop. Then learn how to take care of it so you don't cause those annoying swirls.

Sponsored

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019 Race Red with Package 301A
I am in the same boat. In my case it cracked in 2 areas. As my car sleeps outside 24/7 i think the sun cracked it. I live in the hot sunny Puerto Rico.

i don't think that can be corrected by a shop but i will post a pic to see if somebody can give me hints.

Thanks in advance.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

The 2018+ decklid panel is more susceptible to marring than the prior 2015-17 panels.

Here's a DIY thread I put together a while ago for how to remove rear decklid panel scratches or blems:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/trunk-lid-appliqué-scratch-repair-diy.122441/#post-2641817

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
It is redunculous how easy it scratches.

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Wrap it!

Sponsored

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS - Ruby Red Metallic
I spent money on a carbon fiber panel.
20210115_111717.jpg
That looks so much better than the cheap plasticy one that came as an overlay when I bought my '15. Once I realized it was just stuck on there with double-sided tape I yanked it off and tossed it right in the garbage.

If there's a giant pet peeve I have with the car market is how much trash-level fake, plasticy carbon fiber stuff there is out there.

Just to clarify: Yours looks sweeeeeeeeet!

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
The OEM panel is a swirl magnet and looks terrible swirled. I’m going to wrap mine satin black

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue
Glossy but dirty carbon fire option
Image(3).jpeg

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
The OEM panel is a swirl magnet and looks terrible swirled. I’m going to wrap mine satin black
If your panel has swirls I'd hate to see your paint. Why not spent the time to learn how to take care of your car?

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
If your panel has swirls I'd hate to see your paint. Why not spent the time to learn how to take care of your car?
My paint doesn’t swirl when I spray quick detailer onto a panel covered lightly in pollen and wipe it gently with a microfiber. My decklid did. It’s just shitty paint.
Sponsored