Reaction score
Website
www.lhousephotography.com
First Name
Lane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT Premium - Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
So I've been driving on this setup for a couple of weeks now, and decided to finally post my opinions.

I purchased DBA's 5000 Series T3 2-piece front rotors, and the 4000 Series T3 slotted rears through RallySport Direct. I reached out to Hawk Performance and they recommended the HPS 5.0 Pads front and rear as I daily my car, but do the occasional track day. So those were also purchased through RallySport Direct.

After waiting, as patiently as possible, I finally got my rotors

35489617630_16deaa25da_o.jpg

The pads came in staggered, unfortunately. The fronts were back order so I decided to do the rears first. Because they are still a 1 piece rotor, the weight is about the same as stock at 17.44 pounds (with the plastic wrapping on it still)

35068106803_c7375de96b_o.jpg

So Sunday afternoon rolls around, the rears were pretty straight forward, a gentle nudge from a rubber mallet freed the rotors, and it was just as simple as a brake pad change. Be sure you are turning the piston as you compress it, or you'll have a bad time.

I did run in to some other issues, I had to remove the passenger side brake caliper, in order to get enough access to apply a breaker bar to the caliper bracket bolts. Daily driving a car in Utah, through winters, likes to make bolts sticky...

It was worth the effort though I think,as they look much better than stock.

35489617400_c604fb1d76_o.jpg

Especially behind the MRR M350 wheels. (Shameless plug, sponsor me MRR!!)

35836803656_cac00f5f41_o.jpg

Everyone kept asking me my opinion of them, and since I only had the rears, and even with the bed in procedure, I was hesitant to really comment on them.

That following Tuesday the front pads came in, but my mom also flew in to the town that same night... so it would have to wait.

Visually, stock versus the two piece it's not even a comparison.

35489616350_b1e121d5df_o.jpg

Of course, I tortured myself by bringing the rotors in to work for some photos and weight comparisons.

35489617180_4e81cd3df7_o.jpg

The stock rotor (after instillation of the new one, obviously)

35836803266_debb83ca0d_o.jpg

The DBA 5000 Series T3 2-piece (that's annoying to type every time...)

35489617450_f6576ab816_o.jpg

8 Pounds each corner up front, 16.04 pounds total of unsprung, rotational mass. Not bad. My mom flew out that Sunday morning, but being Utah in June...

35489617090_a5afba4b1d_o.jpg

It would have to wait another week.

So next Sunday rolls around, a full 2 weeks after installing my rears, and I finally go to it. As I mentioned before, daily driving a car through two Utah winters is tough on cars. So what should have been an hour job, turned in to a 5 hour ordeal. No amount of penetrating oil or mallet hammering would loosen the front rotors, so I threaded bolts through the caliper brackets and went to work loosening them up. It was way more work than necessary to even find fully threaded bolts at Lowe's for some reason, and the ones I did buy weren't up to the task.

35489616960_91a953a7f8_o.jpg

Had to cut them off with a jig saw, and then go back to Lowe's for the passenger side. Be sure to get higher grade bolts if you have to go this route, and Lowe's has a "full thread" section in the drawers in the hardware section.

It was a huge hassle, but if you are fortunate enough to not have a harsh winter, it will be an hour, hour and a half tops. Pads were more difficult then they should have been on a fixed caliper also, thanks Utah. But again, they look amazing.

35489616920_e3cdfe7e48_o.jpg

35489616820_3359ddb914_o.jpg

And I must say, I was very impressed with how well the factory pads were doing. I've done maybe 15 autocross events, and one track session (about 20 minutes) and daily drove my car for 25,000 miles, they still had plenty of life left in them.

35489616690_a96a1f514a_o.jpg

Also, did I mention how great they look behind these MRR M350 wheels? (Sponsor me!)
35068106943_0648af4729_o.jpg

Now for impressions. After driving on them for about three weeks on the fronts, and 5 on the rears, I feel like the brake engagement is a lot more linear, the grabby nature of the stock pads has gone away. I no longer feel like I'm going to hit my steering wheel if I jab the brakes too hard accidentally. The pads are super quiet, there is no discernible difference between these HPS 5.0's and the factory compound. I briefly considered the HP Plus pads, but everyone told me how noisy they were, and how rough they are on the rotors, and considering the cost of replacement rotors, I'll pass. I will be doing another 20 minute track session in August, and will have to update my opinions, I am looking forward to it for sure.

Full disclosure I do work for RallySport Direct, but these items are paid for out my own pocket, and they did not ask me to write a review or share my opinions. This post is in no way endorsed by, or sponsored by RallySport Direct, DBA Rotors, or Hawk Performance. Just a dude with a Mustang who likes to take photos and pretend to be a race car driver.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
LHousePhoto

LHousePhoto

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Lane
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think I fixed them.

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
^^^ photobucket screwed you too?

Interested to see how the DBA go on the track. Will definitely be looking at two piece once I burn through my OEMs.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Wait what did you do to get the front rotors off??

Sponsored

OP
OP
LHousePhoto

LHousePhoto

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Lane
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
^^^ photobucket screwed you too?

Interested to see how the DBA go on the track. Will definitely be looking at two piece once I burn through my OEMs.
Imgur, sometimes direct linking works, most times it doesn't. Had to go to Flickr, we'll see how long that lasts.

I'm looking forward to my track session. Last year the stock setup did just fine, I never experienced fade, but I did a cool down lap when I began to smell them, I was a little nervous to lean on them too much, but one cool down lap and I was back on them for another 2 or 3 laps.

Wait what did you do to get the front rotors off??
The bolts did break the rust free, but they ended up bent. So you put a long bolt through the brake caliper bracket, one nut at the end of the bolt, one against the brake caliper bracket. Just keep threading the bolt through the nut on the caliper bracket, alternating between the top and bottom. A few turns top, a few on the bottom. The force will break the rust free, and the rotor will slide right off.

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Awesome write up!

However, I don't see the DBA 5000 rotors listed on their website for a Mustang. Just curious as to the price. It would be super cool if they are considerably cheaper than the Baer Eradispeed 2-piece rotors.

Sooty M.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP - Guard W/Black OTTS
So much want! i too cannot find the 52166 pretty much anywhere. I really don't want drilled so these are intriguing

GT_Tommy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
TVS Supercharged Premium PP
Thanks for the write up! How's the dust on the HPS pads? I'm fine with the OE PP Brembo braking performance, but the amount of dust is driving me INSANE.

Sponsored
OP
OP
LHousePhoto

LHousePhoto

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Lane
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome write up!

However, I don't see the DBA 5000 rotors listed on their website for a Mustang. Just curious as to the price. It would be super cool if they are considerably cheaper than the Baer Eradispeed 2-piece rotors.
So much want! i too cannot find the 52166 pretty much anywhere. I really don't want drilled so these are intriguing
Okay so I talked to the website guys, this product will be listed tomorrow. There was a hiccup loading it to the website. I asked, they will be priced at about $536 a rotor for the fronts. They won't be in stock however, I had to special order them in, however, I talked to purchasing, and if there is interest, they can be ordered for light stock, it may take up to 3-4 weeks for the initial order, but if there is interest, they will keep em stocked.

Thanks for the write up! How's the dust on the HPS pads? I'm fine with the OE PP Brembo braking performance, but the amount of dust is driving me INSANE.
I haven't washed my car since the weekend before Independence Day, it used to be 3-4 days after washing my car, I'd get annoyed at my brown wheels. I don't have that issue with these pads. I'd say they are putting out either less dust, or darker dust to where I don't notice it.

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So then they are no less expensive than the Baer two-piece rotors? Ugh...

OP
OP
LHousePhoto

LHousePhoto

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Lane
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't really look like it, but I suppose if you don't like the look or drilled rotors, this is another option. Also they are unidirectional, if that's a selling point for you.

OP
OP
LHousePhoto

LHousePhoto

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Lane
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
On my way out to my car after work I grabbed these photos. The last time I washed my car was mid day on 7/1. I hit it with some Sonax and elbow grease so they were very clean.

But after a week and a half of daily driving and a few errands ran, this is what they look like. The dust is from driving by a concrete plant that makes gravel for paving a highway about 50 feet from the road, not from brake pads, for once. If nothing else, the Hawk HPS 5.0's will keep you from losing your sanity with the stock performance pack pads.
Brakes_014.jpg
Brakes_015.jpg

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
On my way out to my car after work I grabbed these photos. The last time I washed my car was mid day on 7/1. I hit it with some Sonax and elbow grease so they were very clean.

But after a week and a half of daily driving and a few errands ran, this is what they look like. The dust is from driving by a concrete plant that makes gravel for paving a highway about 50 feet from the road, not from brake pads, for once. If nothing else, the Hawk HPS 5.0's will keep you from losing your sanity with the stock performance pack pads.
How do you like the BFG's? I am going to need new tires by the end of this year and was considering them.
Sponsored