Sponsored

Dash lights and nav screen going dim

Blackie107

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350 AG/ blk stripe Chassis H3070
I am the proud new owner of a 17 gt350. I blame this forum and youtube, for the purchase, but have no regrets whatsoever. We flew from Pa to Wisconsin. Signed away, and drove the 850 miles back to Scranton, Pa. What a fantastic drive it was. The more I drive it, the more I love it!!

I'm having an intermittent issue with the dash lights going dim at night. After starting the car the headlights and dash lights work normally. After about 5 minutes or it could be 15 minutes, the dash lights will go dim. If I turn the brightness up all the way, they are about the brightness of level 3 when they are working properly. The navigation screen goes dim as well. If I turn the car off and restart, they will stay dim. If I turn the lights in the off position, they will go bright. If I turn the lights back on, they go dim again. I called a few local dealers, and they are clueless. I think I will be forced to bring it to the dealer to have them hack away trying to figure it out.

Any help from this forum will be greatly appreciated.
gt350.jpg
Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
It's just the way the car is. I don't believe there is a way to change it, or not one that I could figure out anyways. It's supposed to be easier on your eyes having less bright instrument dials at night, but I would much prefer they be very bright as in the day time as well.

It annoys me as it is, but I've grown used to it.

VooDoo387R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R & 2020 GT500
That's weird, but to be honest, quality control on these cars is horrible at best. I need to take mine in for an exhaust issue. I'm curious to see what others say on the issue.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Normal - by design on many current cars.

OP
OP

Blackie107

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When the brightness is turned all the way up, you can barely see the dash lights. The illuminated controls on the steering wheel are so dim you can barely see them. They work fine for 5 to 15 minutes then go dim. It's not normal because, while night driving home from Wisconson, they worked fine.

Sponsored

jma406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350,1962 406 S/S,64 Falcon B/FX, BOSS KK1215
When the brightness is turned all the way up, you can barely see the dash lights. The illuminated controls on the steering wheel are so dim you can barely see them. They work fine for 5 to 15 minutes then go dim. It's not normal because, while night driving home from Wisconson, they worked fine.
Both of my 2017's do the same. It seems to depend on the amount of daylight/darkness outside.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
If the headlights are on, the dash lights all dim. Presume you have the headlights in automatic mode. You just didn't realize the headlights came on when you go under a bridge, or put something over the sensor, are in the shadow of a building, etc.
All cars with auto headlights do this. Its normal. If you don't like it, turn off the auto headlight function.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I had that issue as well. As other's have said it seems to be related to the auto headlight sensor. Try turning off the auto mode and see if that helps. The sensor seems to be really sensitive and will dim the interior lights multiple times while driving down tree lined roads, etc.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Great looking car by the way. I love the track pack GT350's in AG. I've only seen one AG 350 on the road here in PA.

OP
OP

Blackie107

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great looking car by the way. I love the track pack GT350's in AG. I've only seen one AG 350 on the road here in PA.
Thanks for the compliment and all the other replies. I wasn't sure I liked AG until I saw one in person.
When I did, I knew instantly AG was the color I wanted.

Turning off auto mode doesn't make a change.

I could sit in my driveway at night and idle the car in auto mode and the dash lights are normal ( I could adj. the brightness from being too dim to too bright). After 15 min or so, they will go really dim. If I adj. to full brightness, you can bearly see them.

I will take a video of the lights at what I consider normal brightness and when they go dim and post it.

Sponsored

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350/2008 Saab TurboX SC
Did you try to go in the settings menu on the nav/radio screen? You can choose from either night/day or auto in the display settings. You can also adjust brighness there. try setting it to day so it stays bright all the time.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
It sounds like the controller for the PWM dimming of the lights is bad. I have no clue if that's a separate module or not, but it sounds like a trip to the dealer is needed, unfortunately.

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
Did you try to go in the settings menu on the nav/radio screen? You can choose from either night/day or auto in the display settings. You can also adjust brighness there. try setting it to day so it stays bright all the time.
Settings>Display>Auto Dim

This may be the culprit...same same on iPads/Phones. Was driving at dusk today and my Nav screen was going nuts until I toggled this.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
i love your car! But great minds think alike AG is cool color. Its so neutral that color changes with environment. It drives cameras crazy trying to get right. Good luck with light problem let us know the fix
Sponsored