Sponsored

CostCo Gas

CarloStraus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech
Since owning my care I've put nothing but Chevron gas in her. I always heard the stories that their gas is not as pure or does not have as many additives that are good for you engine. Costco gas is good enough for my family and daily car, but no way for the Shelby.

Visited my local Costco this past weekend and noticed they had some award sticker by their pumps. It might have been there a while but just noticed it recently. Did some reading and Costco gas is rated Top Tier, so it probably has most of the same additives as Shell or Chevron.

Do any of you guys use Costco gas? If so, any noticeable difference in performance or MPG?

I didn't want to be that guy putting subpar gas into a performance engine :doh:

Thanks.
Sponsored

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
My son played for a summer baseball team out of Whiting Indiana, home of a huge"BP" refinery. Employees of the refinery told me same thing. That they sell that gas to all companies, in the Midwest. But refineries must sell to a specific region because of additives for pollution or octane limits.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I was pouring some concrete at a retired Chevron engineer's house and he said it's all the same shit. Chevron, 76, Shell. It''s all marketing.
then the question begs "is there difference between 87,89,91?" are we paying more for the same thing?

viva_brasil

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nik
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
I have used Costco gas on all my vehicles and don't notice any difference compared to when I fill up with shell.

There is a difference between octane ratings, especially for a high compression motor the ECU will pull timing to avoid detonation. The car will feel sluggish.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Costco gas is a top tier gas.

http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

I do not believe all gas is the same. Scientific research appears to show they are not or else why have a top tier gas list? Whether there is a difference between top tier gases is debatable. I did read that an independent test showed Shell was the best but not sure that is true.

There is also a difference in octane ratings. Lower octane fuels will work fine in most cars but due to the lower octane the car will pull timing to avoid detonation causing lower performance. Look at the Ecoboost. 305 HP with 93 octane and 285 on regular. The Ecoboost pulls timing on 87 to avoid becoming an Ecoboom.

Sponsored

viva_brasil

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nik
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
Where I'm from (Brazil) there are essentially counterfeit gas stations selling low quality gas (may have a bit of other random fluids / "fillers" added in, or inconsistent ethanol ratios, etc). I don't think it gets to that point in the US because of regulations, so it's all relative.

This could cause premature catalytic converter failure, fuel filter replacement, and clogged injectors. High compression, direct injection, and / or forced induction engines will likely be the only ones that experience the car feeling different while running on those fuels.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
ALL FUEL IS NOT THE SAME!!!! The base fuel formula is sold as a generic and contains what is required by law. The Top Tier fuel companies then add their specific blend of additives. Costco, for example might purchase Exxon's blend. Either way, it is not the same. The Top Tier fuels have much more detergents than whats required by law (base fuel formula) and then whatever proprietary additives. So yes the base fuel is the same and comes from the same refineries but it is not equal to top tier fuel. SMH

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Not that it matters for the GT350 but keep in mind detergent fuels will have no cleaning effect on the valves on a direct injected engines. Most detergents are good for cleaning the back of the valves of carbon but due to bypassing the the heads, DI engines tend to have carbon build up issues.

subtle

Smart Like Truck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NB
then the question begs "is there difference between 87,89,91?" are we paying more for the same thing?
Of course there is.

ALL FUEL IS NOT THE SAME!!!! The base fuel formula is sold as a generic and contains what is required by law. The Top Tier fuel companies then add their specific blend of additives. Costco, for example might purchase Exxon's blend. Either way, it is not the same. The Top Tier fuels have much more detergents than whats required by law (base fuel formula) and then whatever proprietary additives. So yes the base fuel is the same and comes from the same refineries but it is not equal to top tier fuel. SMH
This is true. Base fuel same. Additives completely different.

I used Costco 93 exclusively from about last March through this month. A few weeks ago I decided to try a few tanks of Shell 93 and to me there is a noticeable difference. My engine clearly prefers the Shell. Unfortunately Shell is very proud of their gas and charge accordingly. I can get Costco 93 currently for $1.94/gal whereas the cheapest Shell in a 15 mile radius from my home is $2.33/gal. I'm no fan of paying an additional $5 for a tank of gas so I will likely only run the Shell about once for every 3-4 Costco tanks. Luckily my commute isn't too far and I only have to fill up once a week. But if I used Shell exclusively it would cost me roughly an additional $240 a year. The butt dyno results just aren't worth throwing away that kind of money.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Shell is my preferred Fuel. Barber MSP, my local track also has Shell fuel handy with a premium and then some for the 100+ octane. I have been using it for many years. Having said that, as long as I have a choice top tier is the only fuel I pump in all my cars.

Sponsored

SROLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
STEVE
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I have used Costco gas in Phoenix in an '03 Terminator, a '15 Explorer sport and a'16 GT350 without any problems whatsoever.

jamesb1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Costco gas is indeed good quality but I must admit I tend to run either BP, Mobil or Shell instead as all are available within 5 miles of me. Personally I do think my car prefers Shell.

I am glad that previous posters cleared up the point about all gas being the same, I will echo their statement that the same 'base' gas is indeed all from the same group of refineries but that each company or gas station adds their own blend of additives.

I think its ultimately down to personal choice but in terms of real world performance of Costco vs others I think the differences are marginal and in terms of any kind of wear or 'damage' it would take a very very long time (if ever).

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
My 03 cobra made 600+ on Costco gasoline. Shelby made 476 rwhp. Daily driving is fine. If you are going to the track or plan to rail the car you should always use a little higher octane for extra insurance if you can find it. That is when it will matter.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
For the entire life of my first car, a Nissan Altima which I bought at 12K miles and drove until 120K, I filled up at the cheapest gas station I could find which often went by the name of Freedom or Walmart/Murphy or Bobs Gas Station or whatever. Never a single issue. Granted, different car and engine and all that but regulations here are stringent on gasoline quality. The additive package may be different but regulation also sets a minimum standard for that, as well. I go to BP, typically, but mostly because I like the decor...

unavailableGT350

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 White with Blue Stripes
Since owning my care I've put nothing but Chevron gas in her. I always heard the stories that their gas is not as pure or does not have as many additives that are good for you engine. Costco gas is good enough for my family and daily car, but no way for the Shelby.

Visited my local Costco this past weekend and noticed they had some award sticker by their pumps. It might have been there a while but just noticed it recently. Did some reading and Costco gas is rated Top Tier, so it probably has most of the same additives as Shell or Chevron.

Do any of you guys use Costco gas? If so, any noticeable difference in performance or MPG?

I didn't want to be that guy putting subpar gas into a performance engine :doh:

Thanks.
2 part answer

1. Costco does use several kinds of gas according to the load. I was privy to information by a Costco employee and he pulled out his clipboard and told me the last load was from Exxon, but he said they use, Chevron, Shell and Exxon for the most part, not much else.

2. Gasolines are NOT the same, BUT, BUT, BUT, they are all made at the same refineries for the local area. My father was a Chemical Engineer for Conoco (say in Louisiana) his whole life (and has patents) and they make gas in batches; they make a Shell "run", then Exxon run, a Chevon run, Conoco run, etc. They are required to make it to the "manufacturer's" exact specification and blending their additives. Then the gasoline is piped (across state lines) or trucked whichever is available to the Exxon station, Shell station..etc and are kept seperate. Gas has a shelf life of 3 months and it will gum up. They have to sell it so they can make more. So if no one is buying gas, prices go down to get rid of the gas.

Now CITGO has there own refineries, Conoco does, and several more, etc. So mom and pop gas stations buy anything they want, but Corporation owned stations have to buy theirs.

One last thing, Regular gas can me made with any old crap oil from Saudi Arabia full of sulfur and crap, but it takes the BEST oil to make Premium. Crappy oil just cannot produce the best fuels.

Ok, enough.....
Sponsored