Sponsored

CostCo Gas

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Around here Costco is generally the cheapest for regular and always the cheapest for 93. My Mustang and bike are on exclusive 93 octane diets and I always try to fill them at Costco. 93 is usually 35 cents higher than 87 at Costco, other stations are 60 cents or more, at least in Maryland.
Sponsored

Checkmate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I work in the oil industry and specialize in tank storage, so I work in the refineries and at the fuel distribution terminals throughout the West Coast. I can say this about any state that does not have a refinery in it, that all the gas you get is the "same" basic gas and that the additive packages are added at the "rack" when the truck is loaded. I have worked at the Kinder Morgan Terminal in Las Vegas and they receive all their gas, diesel and jet fuel from their terminal in Carson, CA through a pipeline that runs along I-15. At the terminal they have large tanks that have Regular Unleaded, Premium Unleaded, Diesel, and Jet Fuel. Then they have smaller tanks that have all the additive packages from all the major gas retailers. Costco here on the Western US uses Chevron's additive package. I don't know about other places where Chevron is not available what Costco uses. So you will see Chevron trucks next to an Arco truck next to a Rebel Oil truck at their rack. The only difference is the additive package being added.

The one area I think there is a problem with quality is BioDiesel and E85. There are too many small "batch" refineries making these products that don't have the control process in place to make consistent quality fuels. I watch these places run on shoestring budgets and cut corners to keep costs down.
Exactly!!!

People here think that all the 'Top Tier' brands have some other derivative of gas. The story is always in the additives.

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
I put Costco gas into my Shelby with no problems. I too live in California so 91 octane is what I get but I don't race or drive the car very hard so octane isn't as big a deal for me.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Around here Costco is generally the cheapest for regular and always the cheapest for 93. My Mustang and bike are on exclusive 93 octane diets and I always try to fill them at Costco. 93 is usually 35 cents higher than 87 at Costco, other stations are 60 cents or more, at least in Maryland.
Same here including Sams Club.

I have one E85 station here and they are almost always the same price as 87 or within 10 cents.

Sponsored

NAG_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350
Almost 15k I have not fill a single tank anywhere else other than Costco gas.
Got Lexus gs400 with 285k(still original spark plugs) with almost all the miles on Costco gas.
Today 4/11/19 San Jose Costco 91 is at $3.45 and Chevron at $3.99.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Same here including Sams Club.

I have one E85 station here and they are almost always the same price as 87 or within 10 cents.
only thing about sams club is that they are not "top tier". i have a costco and sams within 5 mins of each other, and the costco line always longer. so i would much rather go sams since the price is the same. but i go costco (at least in my R) bc it is top tier. i will fill up my other cars with sams once in a while.

ameapm2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Genesis 2018 GT350
so it's safe to fill 91 at Costco. No issues found so far.
I have this GasBuddy card($49/Year Subscription) which gives me 20 cents off every 40 Gallons every month. It's not accepted at some places like Costco/Sam's but it works at most of the gas stations.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
only thing about sams club is that they are not "top tier". i have a costco and sams within 5 mins of each other, and the costco line always longer. so i would much rather go sams since the price is the same. but i go costco (at least in my R) bc it is top tier. i will fill up my other cars with sams once in a while.
Since I am stock the Sams Club Premium does not bother me. If I was tuned I would certainly do a top tier station or E85.
Sponsored