Sponsored

Corsa xtreme sagging

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
Well for some reason they rotated. But if you turn your head, you can see the rips sagging and touching the bottom of the valence. Lol
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I would make a change.
clamp.JPG

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
I can slip that clamp back some. I loosened everything last night, readjusted and tightened again. At this point, I think I've worn the clamps out by tightening them so many times, lol

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I can slip that clamp back some. I loosened everything last night, readjusted and tightened again. At this point, I think I've worn the clamps out by tightening them so many times, lol
That's quite possible. I suggest moving this one because where it is, you're trying to tighten right near a welded section. Moving it will get it to where it's more flexible and the clamp can actually clamp.

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
I can do that.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
That's quite possible. I suggest moving this one because where it is, you're trying to tighten right near a welded section. Moving it will get it to where it's more flexible and the clamp can actually clamp.
Isn't that the adapter? You want the clamp as close to the end of any pipe as possible.

Looking closer at that axle back design, where they have you cut the factory exhaust is the worst location.

It is a similar location to where MBRP has their catback meet up to the H-pipe. Which also have sagging issues.

That spot especially since there is an adapter, has to rely completely on friction to keep the exhaust aligned and is fighting a huge leverage point from the hanger and weight of the muffler.

I would avoid any axle back that has you cut that far back. Flowmaster outlaw, this corsa axle back, etc.

Axle backs like the Roush design where the cut is right after the 90* bend after the muffler is best as it doesn't have the leverage to rotate against the friction clamp and sag.

Good luck.

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
To put it plainly, if you're axle back has two sets of hangers. If you care about it staying aligned and off the valance, don't purchase it.

If it has one set of hangers. You're good.

Good:

cbr19_2.916.jpg

Bad:

corsa-2-75-axle-back-exhaust-sport-black-15-16-mustang-gt-convertible-14339blk-9.gif

If you look at the corsa, draw a line between the two hangers. Most of the weight is on one side and the only thing holding it in position is the friction from the two clamps. Unless you spot weld, it will always sag.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't that the adapter? You want the clamp as close to the end of any pipe as possible.

Looking closer at that axle back design, where they have you cut the factory exhaust is the worst location.

It is a similar location to where MBRP has their catback meet up to the H-pipe. Which also have sagging issues.

That spot especially since there is an adapter, has to rely completely on friction to keep the exhaust aligned and is fighting a huge leverage point from the hanger and weight of the muffler.

I would avoid any axle back that has you cut that far back. Flowmaster outlaw, this corsa axle back, etc.

Axle backs like the Roush design where the cut is right after the 90* bend after the muffler is best as it doesn't have the leverage to rotate against the friction clamp and sag.

Good luck.
Yes but it looks like the clamp isn't getting full contact on the mating pipe.

Corsa did theirs like they did so they could have a modular system that's 3".

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
To put it plainly, if you're axle back has two sets of hangers. If you care about it staying aligned and off the valance, don't purchase it.

If it has one set of hangers. You're good.

Good:

cbr19_2.916.jpg

Bad:

corsa-2-75-axle-back-exhaust-sport-black-15-16-mustang-gt-convertible-14339blk-9.gif

If you look at the corsa, draw a line between the two hangers. Most of the weight is on one side and the only thing holding it in position is the friction from the two clamps. Unless you spot weld, it will always sag.
I've had mine on for nearly 7 months and it has not sagged. It's a combination of a bad batch of clamps and/or adapters or unintuitive installation error.

Sponsored

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I've had mine on for nearly 7 months and it has not sagged. It's a combination of a bad batch of clamps and/or adapters or unintuitive installation error.
Clamps stretch out. Especially if removed and re-tightened. I don't think they are technically 'bad'.

I also understand the modular design, but this is a likely unintended consequence of that design.

I've swapped enough exhaust systems on my car to know what works and what doesn't. Cutting that far back and having the pivot point be where it is on these style of axle backs lends itself to have sagging issues. It's just physics. Really, the easy solution is just go to an exhaust shop and have them realign it and put a couple tack welds in place.

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
Tack welds will void the warrantee and give Corsa an easy out. I refuse to allow Corsa to tell me that they will not warranty this system because I welded it.

And yes, I thought clamps are supposed to be at the end of the pipe section, but I'll try anything at this point.

And yes i agree that the pivot point with this system sucks, it allows a flex joint there that can allow for sag.

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
Corsa finally reached out to me and I sent them several pics of the clamps and install. They told me that they would send me a new set of clamps and adapters.

I asked for them to be expedited, since I have access to a lift Saturday, but I haven't heard back yet.

I'll update when I hear back...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Tack welds will void the warrantee and give Corsa an easy out. I refuse to allow Corsa to tell me that they will not warranty this system because I welded it.

And yes, I thought clamps are supposed to be at the end of the pipe section, but I'll try anything at this point.

And yes i agree that the pivot point with this system sucks, it allows a flex joint there that can allow for sag.
Yeah maybe don't go as far as I put in the picture, but remember that the joint is flared slightly. You want to put the clamp where you get the most contact between the adapter and the pipe. If you're on an edge, yeah you can compress it better, but your loaded contact area might be smaller.

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
but let's be clear, that small change in clamp positioning isn't making it sag...just saying lol
Sponsored