Coolant Tank Cap Broke

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
Seriously? I was going to take a peek inside the tank a few days ago and the two halves of the cap separated leaving the lower part stuck in the tank. Terrible design.

So I ordered a new cap, and have it in hand. How the hell do I get the other half out of the tank w/o destroying the tank itself?

Anyone have any tricks?
Sponsored

OP
OP
BluePonyGT

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
Never mind. I got it. The trick seems to be to separate the spring center section from the bottom part. Put the silver plunger piece back in so you can block debris from getting in the tank, then gently pry the rest out slowly without putting too much pressure on the tank at the same time. A set of right angle needle nose pliers and a screwdriver did it.

terrible design. Have a new one handy. The old one gets destroyed.
762802C2-610B-484D-97AC-3FAD99B086F9.jpeg

D4343C24-B773-4378-ABE4-72A7F348BFAE.jpeg

Last edited:

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT Premium 401A Ebony Stripes
Never mind. I got it. The trick seems to be to separate the spring center section from the bottom part. Put the silver plunger piece back in so you can block debris from getting in the tank, then gently pry the rest out slowly without putting too much pressure on the tank at the same time. A set of right angle needle nose pliers and a screwdriver did it.

terrible design. Have a new one handy. The old one gets destroyed.
762802C2-610B-484D-97AC-3FAD99B086F9.jpeg

D4343C24-B773-4378-ABE4-72A7F348BFAE.jpeg
Is the new cap a different style compared to the old one?

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The reason this happens is because the o rings get dry and stick really hard to the plastic. I noticed my cap was taking a stupid amount of force to twist off, so I lubed the upper and lower o rings with silicone grease. It goes on 900% easier now. Do it with the new one every once in a while and I can guarantee it will never break.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BluePonyGT

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
Is the new cap a different style compared to the old one?
Nope. Same.
So yeah now that I know this a small amount of silicone lube will do the trick for sure.

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT Premium 401A Ebony Stripes
Nope. Same.
So yeah now that I know this a small amount of silicone lube will do the trick for sure.
Ok, thanks for the info. I have already lubed mine even though it is not a year old yet.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Ford needs to issue a TSB on this and get a revised cap design…

I’ve seen this issue on here many times since the S550’s inception and I can’t imagine how many more owners it affects that don’t even post here or go online…

it’s an inferior part made of craptastic inferior plastic, it’s not because the o-ring is not lubed. The plastic is degrading and becoming brittle due to under hood heat cycles…. And it wouldn’t be breaking down as quickly IF it were made of better materials that can resist the heat.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Ford needs to issue a TSB on this and get a revised cap design…

I’ve seen this issue on here many times since the S550’s inception and I can’t imagine how many more owners it affects that don’t even post here or go online…

it’s an inferior part made of craptastic inferior plastic, it’s not because the o-ring is not lubed. The plastic is degrading and becoming brittle due to under hood heat cycles…. And it wouldn’t be breaking down as quickly IF it were made of better materials that can resist the heat.
It's a combination of both my guy. How is that cheap plastic supposed to resist the massive amount of force you need to remove it when the o-rings are dry and seized? It was an absolute night and day difference for me after lubrication, and it's not like I overdid anything. Just a light wipe.

OP
OP
BluePonyGT

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
I think the point is if you have to use an o-ring to seal this cap at all its because of how it's designed. If it weren't for this inverted two-piece plunger design you wouldn't need o-rings once the pressure in the tank is more than the spring plunger will keep back against the inside of the housing. The heat does make the plastic hard and brittle over time, which makes it hard to remove without breaking.

Use different material, ditch the inverted design so you don't need o-rings, and use a fastener to put it together rather than weak clips that snap over a ring at the top.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Garbage design, much like the plastic coolant hose T-connector...

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It would be awesome if we could find a replacement. I know there are many aftermarket coolant tanks, which presumably don't suffer from this issue, but for people who have no need or desire to replace the entire tank, me included, a better designed cap to fit the OEM tank would be great.
Mine was still easy to remove, but I've lubricated it anyway, just in case.
Sponsored