Sponsored

Convince me. To Power Pack 2 or No.

vder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 Fox Body, 16 Mustang GT Vert, 22 Explorer ST
I also have the PP2 with 3.73 gears and a manual shift along with the updated tune. I have not experienced any of the issues other have had earlier before the updated tune. I use 91 octane from Sunoco the majority of time I fill up. So from my experience it has been great and well worth it. :ford:
Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
BTW, a SC setup is on my wish list. I won't say "I almost did it" but I did toy with the idea of having the Roush 670HP setup installed as part of my new-car purchase and financing the whole thing. It more than crossed my mind, but my gut told me don't do it. Still debating about punching myself in the gut. ;)

If I hit the lottery tonight, I'd have installed next week. But again, my car is a DD. I have an 80-mile commute in everything from open freeway to standstill traffic...in south Texas heat. The more power you add, the more your risk factor goes up, IMO.

The PP2 and other "reasonable" tunes from Lund or Livernois or whoever are that middle ground b/t stock and FI.

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe Six Speed
I was one of the early testers of the PP2 revised calibration, and I can tell you it solved all of the original problems, and the exhaust note with the Roush axle-back mufflers is glorious. I won't be adding a supercharger. I have the performance bump I was looking for with PP2.

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Quite happy with mine as well. Although, it makes you want to do bad things.

OP
OP
15wile

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Well, then... looks like I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the info/advice.

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I'll be joining you soon. Had the kit for 6 months waiting for a possible revised tune and now that it's here, it's a go.

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
Unless you have a real concern about warranty, an aftermarket tune, or tune + intake is much better bang for your buck. AED has my vote.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
All. The. Time. :headbang:
LOL! :headbang: Since the install I haven't had the opportunity for any serious stoplight-drags competition, but I have had a few "quick-ish" cars in the 300-HP range try their luck. My favorite thing is 2nd and 3rd gear blasts. Some of those little front wheel drive cars can get off the line pretty quickly. But....winding it out in 2nd and 3rd has a way of compressing space-time and leaving those quick-ish cars waaaaaay behind. :D

Sponsored

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you have a real concern about warranty, an aftermarket tune, or tune + intake is much better bang for your buck. AED has my vote.
Why is after market better? My pp2 car is running 115 mph in the 1/4 and your after market tuned car is running 114 mph. :shrug:

fewt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
LOL! :headbang: Since the install I haven't had the opportunity for any serious stoplight-drags competition, but I have had a few "quick-ish" cars in the 300-HP range try their luck. My favorite thing is 2nd and 3rd gear blasts. Some of those little front wheel drive cars can get off the line pretty quickly. But....winding it out in 2nd and 3rd has a way of compressing space-time and leaving those quick-ish cars waaaaaay behind. :D
I don't usually launch too hard from lights, but every now and then I'll give it a bit more gas just because it's just so darned much fun. The x-pipe and side exhaust seems to be an open invitation for everyone around me in their Hondas and Kias to want to race but I don't street race so they always win. Highway on ramps though..oh yeah.

Some day I'll get out to the track and see what it can really do.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
What drives me absolutely nuts is that Ford Performance told me and others there was no intention on their end to revise the tune... and now apparently there is one. If they had just said to me, we are working on a revised tune and the ETA is... I would have kept the setup myself since the difference between tunes is mostly the driver. Hell, I offered data logs and even video of my situation and even offered to come to them in Michigan since I was already going to be in Chicago (I would have just expected maybe some gas money and a hotel room, if needed). They were not interested. All they said was that they were getting a PP car to test on to verify my complaint and then pretty much silence, which tells me they never did test it on a 3.73 stick shift car in the first place - baffles me. It took them apparently 6-months? to revise the tune after taking ages to create one in the first place with a couple delays. That's just not acceptable to me. I am grateful I got my money back in full less return shipping.

In contrast, I email VMP my data logs, 4 days later I have an updated tune that I can't find fault with that keeps my throttle extremely smooth and predictable for road course, which the original PP2 tune was absolutely NOT.

Had a guy much better at drag racing than me take my car down South GA Motorsports Park (he has a Roush Stage 3) and he trapped 111 mph - stock tune, 20" wheels with Cooper Zeon RS3-S tires (and that's still slower than Motor Trend on a stock car, mind you). I always wondered if I had like a "lower power car" from the factory because I could never get anything better than 13.4 myself no matter what drag strip it was and no matter what tires I brought with me (all street summer tires)... with the stock tune. Point being, the variables between track prep, car setup, wind, air, and luck do not support a 1 mph difference being indicative of a "superior tune". AED is an excellent tune - I know someone with one and he's fast. Another guy I know won an eliminations drag event twice with his Brenspeed tune and Michelin all-season tires. The first time I went to the drag strip with my VMP tune, I got 12.98 at Atlanta Dragway in Commerce on my very first run which was on beat to hell Conti DW tires that were to be replaced the next day.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I never said the pp2 tune was superior. I believe most tunes are on par with each other. I was simply saying after market tunes aren't necessarily any better than the pp2 tune. As far as bang for the buck the pp2 can be bought and installed by a certified mechanic for under $700 which keeps your warranty. I agree ford took way too long to get the revised tune out. If headers or more mods requiring tuning are not in your plans the pp2 is definitely worth doing and will give results right in line with lund, aed, Livernois and others. 5 mph increase in the 1/4 is some serious gains for under $700. I use mph because it has less variables than et. And mph in the 1/4 shows real life hp that a dyno cant.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Can we get something clear real quick? Ford Performance parts are considered aftermarket modifications. Their dealings with FoMoCo to cover PP1, PP2, and PP3 cars with a manufacturer-like warranty for 36,000 miles does not change that. Additionally, it makes no sense to wait until 36K to install any Ford Performance tune w/warranty because the warranty is only for 36K miles from 0 (not 36K MORE miles after you install it).
Sponsored