Sponsored

Clutch Spring Reduced Poundage No Pedal Lag -- Installed and Tested

lowatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Could you help me make sure that I don't break the plastic elements when I remove the original spring. 1) Depress the clutch pedal by hand. 2) While clutch pedal depressed, grab the middle coils of the existing spring with a needle-nosed vise grip and tighten them together further? 3) Release the clutch pedal? If the steps above are correct, what next? Work the spring out in a particular fashion, or slide it out sideways or what? Then, once the replacement spring is in, are there tricks to reinstalling the mechanism? (I don't want to break anything like some of our brothers here have done.)
Ideally, what you want to do is make the spring assembly shorter (some squeeze the middle coils, others find it easier to squeeze the top or bottom coils), and once the spring assemble is shorter you will be able to tip the top of it forward away from its cradle and lift it up (thus releasing the bottom of the assemble from its cradle) and out. In other words, hold down clutch and keep it down. Squeeze the spring tight, and then tilt it forward and out. It's pretty easy once you find a way to squeeze and hold the coils. It took me some extra effort because I don't have a pair of needle nose Vise Grips. And my skinny arms don't help LOL.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
You sir....are correct. I just logged on to post that I contacted Ford and you have to buy the entire clutch assembly. That's messed up!
That is messed up. Maybe some of the guys here who removed their spring and never plan on putting it back in would sell or donate theirs.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
If 39lb and 59lb is the ideal spring strength out of curiosity what is the stock spring?

Knight5.0

Project Lightning
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium, PP, 401A
If 39lb and 59lb is the ideal spring strength out of curiosity what is the stock spring?
its been estimate at about 150 to 190.. I weight 230 lb and i stood on the factory spring and i couldnt compress it all the way so i know its stiff

Sponsored

Need 4 Steed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Don't think we have that data. But if linear it is around 175ish. Lb force per inch of compression

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sixth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
You sir....are correct. I just logged on to post that I contacted Ford and you have to buy the entire clutch assembly. That's messed up! But then again, I broke it and I'm not going to try and get them to cover under warranty. :frusty:

Calling my tool and die guy now to see if he can machine one for me. I like the feel without the spring but I have a little play at the top.
Junk yard, 2011+ mustangs should have that same piece. Don't think that assembly changed any with the S550. You also have these options V6, EB, V8 should all have the same unit...

mariusvt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang
Interestingly on the 11-14 cars the 3.7 has a lighter spring than the 5.0 does. 3.7 on right 5.0 on left.

2474ceb0dc1df88fff223644eb171ded.jpg

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You know the part number please?

mariusvt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang
Unfortunately it's a picture from another forum, the owner was a 3.7 car. Pretty sure the guy got the gt spring from a gt owner that was going to throw it away. He was compensatng for a heavier aftermarket clutch.

I am pretty sure you can't get any part of the clutch assembly separate, only as a unit.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ Probably easier to get the aftermarket spring, and we know they fit the S550 pedal.

ForeverMachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Mustang GT
So I'm going in the opposite direction of everyone else, but bear with me.

I have 2014 GT along with a half-bad knee and a ornery back. A light clutch pedal is hugely important to me and if anything I would like to decrease the factory clutch effort even further. From what I understand, I would want to find a spring that is 200-300 lbs/in.... is that right? Is it possible/practical?

I'd probably be going in the same direction as everyone else but my knee is bad enough that I probably shouldn't have gotten another manual... but I couldn't stop myself. Anyways, insight would be greatly appreciated.

Need 4 Steed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have some springs. 39 and 59. Houstonians, I can meet somewhere and I can mail a few out.

Qyu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 10A
I have some springs. 39 and 59. Houstonians, I can meet somewhere and I can mail a few out.

is the 59 pretty much same as 60? and also im assuming from the previous post that the heavier the spring the lighter the clutch feel will be?

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Can I take a 39 please?
Sponsored