Sponsored

Check your splitter install

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
A lift would be nice. I only got my car up about a foot and still had to use a mirror and an led light to align the 45 degree screws. Even with this I still had to slightly widen two of the splitter tab holes to get them aligned. Before widening I tried to apply the bolts at an angle and then straighten them with pressure to gain alignment. This method resulted in the bolt slipping out of the socket and disappearing into the belly pan. I had them blue taped to the socket too. I had to remove the center section to retrieve the bolt. It is extremely hard to get that thing back off after you've secured it with the rubber hammer.
Take the steps to slightly widen these holes if they are not aligned and get the car higher up than I did and the job will be much easier. I still do not see any better method to snapping the four half moon clips. Track pack coolers made access difficult. I didn't remove the wheels because it wouldn't have made it any easier. I did tie the wheel well liners back to the wheel to keep them out of the way.
This is the type of project that would take half the time to complete a second time around.
Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
How hard is it to "uninstall" the front splitter?

I will be shipping mine back to the states in a year or 2.

2016 GT350 Magnetic w/Black Stripes / Black Roof /Tech Package Build January, ETA March (US Port), Germany Apr, under MSRP

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
It was hard to get the tabs to release at the seam between the fascia. So the splitter just flops up and down hanging by the front tabs. I felt like I was close to breaking tabs especially on the left side but it finally popped off. I would take my chances leaving it on.

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
Steve

Thanks for a very informative post and info. With all the posts re improper shipment (backwards truck loading) and resulting front end damage, I am concerned re proper splitter fitment.

Do you know if your car was loaded correctly? Did you see evidence of the reported damage? Did it impact splitter fitment or strength of mounting? :shrug:

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

2016 GT350 Magnetic w/Black Stripes / Black Roof /Tech Package Build January, ETA March (US Port), Germany Apr, under MSRP
Probably easier than installing it :cheers:. Its honestly not too bad, just takes some elbow grease

Sponsored

OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150

Sounds like mine came off a little easier than ThreeFiveO's but that may be due to the fact that it wasn't installed correctly in the first place. It took me about 5 minutes to get it off. I used the palm of my hand to push down on the top of the splitter , moving my hand along the "SHELBY" letters and it eventually released completely.

Steve

Thanks for a very informative post and info. With all the posts re improper shipment (backwards truck loading) and resulting front end damage, I am concerned re proper splitter fitment.

Do you know if your car was loaded correctly? Did you see evidence of the reported damage? Did it impact splitter fitment or strength of mounting? :shrug:
Great question. I inquired with the selling dealer about loading and they told me (you can't believe anything they tell you, really) that it had been loaded correctly and that the driver used "mini-ramps" (whatever that means) to load/offload. I never saw any pictures. I was afraid of what I might find upon removing the center piece, having seen pictures of other cars' fascia damage due to improper loading. I was pleasantly surprised to find a perfect fascia. While doing this operation I also inspected the entire underside of the car and saw no damage.

F1-R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aliek "D12"
Vehicle(s)
16' GT350 AG Track P. w/ blk OTT stripes/b. roof
This is a truly useful and great thread. So I finally got my issued VIN and I am 2 months away from delivery. Today I went to the dealer where it will be arriving and noticed a gap with the splitter of the GT350 in the showroom. I am from east Virginia (Norfolk) and this is a huge concern for me. Can anyone here recommend a good dealership for me to get this done properly please? Installing it myslef is not an option since I lack the skills and tools required :(

OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
If you're going to have the dealer do it just insist that their tech watch the video and use all the parts. The url to the video is given on the printed installation instructions that come with the splitter, in the box. It wouldn't hurt for you to watch the video and ask to be present during the install, if not the entire PDI process.

If they won't let you in the service bay during install, be sure to inspect it right afterwards. As mentioned in an earlier post, I found an instance locally where they hadn't used the 45 degree M4.2x25 screws. After it's installed you can stick your finger up in the access holes to check for the screw head. Do you have any buddies with auto/mechanical skills? Beer payment goes a long way with some. :)

F1-R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aliek "D12"
Vehicle(s)
If you're going to have the dealer do it just insist that their tech watch the video and use all the parts. The url to the video is given on the printed installation instructions that come with the splitter, in the box. It wouldn't hurt for you to watch the video and ask to be present during the install, if not the entire PDI process.
Yes, I am trying to ask for that exactly and they are telling me not to worry, that they are experts and very familiar with these type of vehicles because they have already delivered 2 GT350s and also sell Roush.

Thank you for the quick reply by the way.

OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
No problem. I think just by the fact that you've let them know that it's often done incorrectly, the existence of the video, and that you're aware of the process and what it should look like after install, they'll probably do it correctly.

Thank you for your service by the way.

Sponsored

Mustang_Scotty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350, 2016 SRT GC
Wow, I have to tell you I am not looking forward to installing the splitter. Besides being a weekend wrencher I was also a Carpenter for 25 years but that video looks god awful! Especially having to do it on the ground. But I do not trust any so called tech either. I guess I'll watch the video a 1000 times first. Unless someone lives around westchester that has done it beofre!, lol

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang
How long do you guys estimate it should take a Ford tech to install it?

F1-R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aliek "D12"
Vehicle(s)
No problem. I think just by the fact that you've let them know that it's often done incorrectly, the existence of the video, and that you're aware of the process and what it should look like after install, they'll probably do it correctly.

Thank you for your service by the way.
You are welcome, I do it gladly :thumbsup:

I decided to take my chances with my local dealership since they have agreed to only work on the vehicle while I am present, and I have made it a big deal for the tech to have to watch the video and use the provided fasteners. Hope it all goes well. Car gets build on the 22nd of this month!!!:D

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang
Does anyone know if the install should be covered under warranty, if you're having it done by a different dealer than the one where you bought the car?
Sponsored