Sponsored

Check on fitment for 285 Square setup

Halvaroth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang GT
Hi Everyone, finally about to pull the trigger on some new wheels (thanks to a nice bonus), specifically the SM-10 from Apex since I've heard good things about them. I'll be going for the 19x10 wheels with the 40 offset and I was wondering if there would be any issues on fitment of the tires up front. Since my car is also my daily on the East Coast (DMV) I'll probably be going with the Michelin AS4. I've herd mixed things about the fitment of the 285 tires; some saying the tires would rub and others saying it's fine and was wondering if any one is running wheels with a similar offset and size and if the could chime in if there would be any issues. Asking because I read somewhere that Michelin are on the wider side. Probably doesn't matter but the only mod I have on my car is the Steeda G-Trac Brace.
Sponsored

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I have no input yet but give me a couple weeks and I'll have my Apex VS-5RS 19x10's with PS4S 285/35's on my car. 285/35 is the size Apex suggests for this width and offset so I certainly hope to not have any issues.

I did test fit the wheel up front, tight but I don't expect to have any issues.

20240318_165403-X4.jpg

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
I have 19x10 ET35 with the PS4S 285/35/19 with absolutely no issues. Perhaps someone can speak to the ET40 and let us know if that creates one?

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
OP that's the exact setup I have. Fits great.

OP
OP

Halvaroth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang GT
I have no input yet but give me a couple weeks and I'll have my Apex VS-5RS 19x10's with PS4S 285/35's on my car. 285/35 is the size Apex suggests for this width and offset so I certainly hope to not have any issues.

I did test fit the wheel up front, tight but I don't expect to have any issues.

20240318_165403-X4.jpg
How do you like those struts by the way? I was also considering these a while back. Also thanks guys, I will soon be purchasing these wheels in bronze color for my car.

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Just my two cents, if you haven't ordered them yet, get the 18s. Unless you are not too concerned about having a massive selection of track/AutoX/extreme summer tires.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard mixed things about the fitment of the 285 tires; some saying the tires would rub and others saying it's fine....
I always wonder where this idea comes from. Owners of older Mustangs? A square setup with 285 tires on 10 inch width wheels with +35 to +40 offset is very commonly run and talked about by members of this forum. Apex has a very good reputation and would not sell you a setup that rubs if they know what car you have.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
How do you like those struts by the way? I was also considering these a while back. Also thanks guys, I will soon be purchasing these wheels in bronze color for my car.
I haven't had the car off the lift yet with the fronts on. I put the rears on last year with factory springs and was happy with it, much less float. I did BMR SP083 springs with the B6's all around now.

OP
OP

Halvaroth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang GT
I always wonder where this idea comes from. Owners of older Mustangs? A square setup with 285 tires on 10 inch width wheels with +35 to +40 offset is very commonly run and talked about by members of this forum. Apex has a very good reputation and would not sell you a setup that rubs if they know what car you have.
Asking mostly because this is the first time I'm changing the wheels on any car, just want to completely make sure I'm good.

I haven't had the car off the lift yet with the fronts on. I put the rears on last year with factory springs and was happy with it, much less float. I did BMR SP083 springs with the B6's all around now.
Yea definitely let me know how you like it once you get the car off, I'd probably be using the stock springs.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
IMO, the 10" wheel is ideal for the front because once the offset is good (adjusted if necessary with spacers and studs), the tire will be flush with the fender and not rub the strut, especially when running street (i.e. stock) camber. Great idea to test fit the bare wheel before mounting tires because it is very easy to see/measure the strut clearance.

To go any wider (such 11" for track), you need to angle over the camber a lot to keep the tire from poking. Or if there is a little poke, then don't obsess because it is track day! The 3/4" wider GT350 fenders alleviate this issue.

Kudos for going square!

Last edited:

Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Asking mostly because this is the first time I'm changing the wheels on any car, just want to completely make sure I'm good.
I completely understand wanting to make sure to get it right, but it appeared from your OP that you had been told by others that it would rub. That's what surprised me. Sounds like you'll have a great setup!

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just my two cents, if you haven't ordered them yet, get the 18s. Unless you are not too concerned about having a massive selection of track/AutoX/extreme summer tires.
What street tire are you running?

I didn't get 18's because the selection of 27.xx" inch tires wasn't very good (also couldn't get the drag radial I wanted, unless I was going to spend $450+ each)

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
No, the idea comes from (rare) reports here from people with S550s who post here who have had tires sometimes rub the strut with ET40s.

Look at the picture. Most shocks dont have that recessed cutout that those yellow bilsteins do, so a ET40 10” wheel is actually very close to the strut with some tires. Some 285s seem to touch some shocks under full droop. Others clear. Either way a little rubbin at full droop isn’t usually a deal killer and many people dont seem to have the issue. ET35 fits every time.

Paul's Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium, Magnetic, Showstopper Red
No, the idea comes from (rare) reports here from people with S550s who post here who have had tires sometimes rub the strut with ET40s.

Look at the picture. Most shocks dont have that recessed cutout that those yellow bilsteins do, so a ET40 10” wheel is actually very close to the strut with some tires. Some 285s seem to touch some shocks under full droop. Others clear. Either way a little rubbin at full droop isn’t usually a deal killer and many people dont seem to have the issue. ET35 fits every time.
I'm considering an Ace wheel that is available in ET35 and ET40. After looking at that pic of the ET40 wheel fitment and hearing your explanation of the problems some people have with the ET40s rubbing with certain strut/tire combos, I think I'll go with the ET35. My question for the thread is how close will I be to rubbing the fender now with 285s on the 19x10, ET 35 wheels? On the fitment web pages it looks like I may have only a 1/4" or so of clearance. I guess that's enough as long as nothing touches right? What about tire deformity under hard turns etc? Anything to be concerned with there?

Last edited:

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I have 1/8" clearance and there is no sign of rubbing. I track my car.

I think the tire does not distort at the top even under hard cornering.
Sponsored

Last edited: