Sponsored

Cavalli Turbo......

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Erm, going by focus st turbos, replacement turbos will be somewhat costly. Main culprit is the headifold ford uses. Unless someone can make an adapter that somehow retains the stock tubine outlet, compressor inlet AND outlet, these turbos will be pricey. Otherwise, you have a unique turbine housing due to the headifold driving cost, or you have a cheaper turbo which requires an adapter for the headifold along with a new downpipe and intake. Probably coolant and oil routing too.

Expect $2500-$3000 for turbos, unless someone can show me a cheap focus example.

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
Erm, going by focus st turbos, replacement turbos will be somewhat costly. Main culprit is the headifold ford uses. Unless someone can make an adapter that somehow retains the stock tubine outlet, compressor inlet AND outlet, these turbos will be pricey. Otherwise, you have a unique turbine housing due to the headifold driving cost, or you have a cheaper turbo which requires an adapter for the headifold along with a new downpipe and intake. Probably coolant and oil routing too.

Expect $2500-$3000 for turbos, unless someone can show me a cheap focus example.
^agree!
$2200-$3000 depending on options is my guess as well

Biffosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Sport

Can someone explain what is so special about the housing on the turbo pictured above? Doesn't look like anything special.

My first turbo kit was a T25 flange mated to a crx hf exhaust manifold. Used an adapter plate. Would this really be much more complicated than that?

LeonBorden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2JZ Formula D Pro AM Cressida, 2015 EB PP
I'll make my own adapter before spending that. That's nothing but greedy shops... No, it requires nothing more than an adapter flange

Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Can someone explain what is so special about the housing on the turbo pictured above? Doesn't look like anything special.

My first turbo kit was a T25 flange mated to a crx hf exhaust manifold. Used an adapter plate. Would this really be much more complicated than that?
The housing is unique to Ford cylinder heads, as it has a gooseneck to mate to the cylinder head along with having a unique twinscroll design fed by certain cylinders. Borg, Precision, Honeywell etc don't make their turbos with that housing as an option. Meaning that aftermarket turbos require a new mold for those turbine castings to be made in. Any of these turbos will only be able to work with the 2.3L Mustang (and possibly the Focus RS) which will mean any inventory a supplier purchases/makes, can only be sold to a handful of vehicles. Voila, price increase.

I'll make my own adapter before spending that. That's nothing but greedy shops... No, it requires nothing more than an adapter flange
I'm not saying you're wrong in being annoyed/upset by the turbo prices, it just is what it is. I haven't seen a cheap Focus ST turbo yet (sub $1500) so I want people to know about what's coming.

oilfieldtrash

likes mustangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic (still love mustangs though)
The housing is unique to Ford cylinder heads, as it has a gooseneck to mate to the cylinder head along with having a unique twinscroll design fed by certain cylinders. Borg, Precision, Honeywell etc don't make their turbos with that housing as an option. Meaning that aftermarket turbos require a new mold for those turbine castings to be made in. Any of these turbos will only be able to work with the 2.3L Mustang (and possibly the Focus RS) which will mean any inventory a supplier purchases/makes, can only be sold to a handful of vehicles. Voila, price increase.

I'm not saying you're wrong in being annoyed/upset by the turbo prices, it just is what it is. I haven't seen a cheap Focus ST turbo yet (sub $1500) so I want people to know about what's coming.
This isn't a focus st. We're talking about the car with the biggest aftermarket out there. If a manufacturer wanted to sell them at a reasonable price they could with the mustang just on sheer volume alone. The focus st is a niche car.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
This isn't a focus st. We're talking about the car with the biggest aftermarket out there. If a manufacturer wanted to sell them at a reasonable price they could with the mustang just on sheer volume alone. The focus st is a niche car.

True, but the exhaust systems are already more expensive than last generations. The superchargers on the GTs are more expensive as well. This is the largest aftermarket, but also one of the most lucrative.

Time will tell. I'm storing away around $3000 for my turbo swap, if I'm wrong then yay more money.

oilfieldtrash

likes mustangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic (still love mustangs though)
True, but the exhaust systems are already more expensive than last generations. The superchargers on the GTs are more expensive as well. This is the largest aftermarket, but also one of the most lucrative.

Time will tell. I'm storing away around $3000 for my turbo swap, if I'm wrong then yay more money.
You're going to be right. Not because they can't sell it for cheaper. They know there are plenty of guys willing to pay the 2.5/3k price tag so why sell it for less. The only mod I am planning on is a tuner. The bang for the buck is off the charts on the tune. I'm not even buying a tune right now because I know the price will go down eventually or they'll end up on sale. I don't have an interest in spending big money for mods so I'll just live vicariously through you guys. :cheers:

BGolden

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rip tuning.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang & 2015 WRX STI
I am sending our stock turbo to Comp/Cavalli today so they can send it back as the 55/56. We are doing some testing for them and will be happy to report the out comes. After speaking with them for an hour we have some good expectations with this turbo.:thumbsup:

Sponsored

Saluki_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Competition orange ecoboost PP
Yep, I think you are looking at $2500 if you go the replacement route or $3500-4000 for something like what MAP is doing. I am eagerly awaiting MAP's release

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
Yep, I think you are looking at $2500 if you go the replacement route or $3500-4000 for something like what MAP is doing. I am eagerly awaiting MAP's release
You're shooting pretty high there :eyebulge:

Saluki_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Competition orange ecoboost PP
I was just guessing since some of your Evo kits are 3000 to 3700. Like I said I am eagerly awaiting your release

OP
OP

STREETMASTERS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2.3
Let's see what the tests show....hopefully AM will release something soon

LeonBorden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2JZ Formula D Pro AM Cressida, 2015 EB PP
MAPs kits for a 600hp subaru setup are 3000, but include intake, downpipe, up pipe, etc. That is more than fair considering the power and everything that comes with it. If somebody releases a 1500 dollar factory bolt on option, they'll sell tons. The average owner isn't going to want to build their bottom ends for another 3 or 4 years.

I can't imagine a reworked factory turbo costing 2 grand. That's absurd
Sponsored